JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This was my bad. Wasn't sure the watermelon would have been a big deal. I just figured animals would eat that stuff. I did however pick up all my shotgun shells and the most i could of the watermelon stuff. Just wanted to note that i do clean up after myself. It was clear that alot of people leave bad trash behind. When we pulled up there was a tire and some kind of pan sitting there off to the side. But yes i agree about keeping that place clean and wont be shooting anything other than targets from here on. I appreciate what you guys do for that place!
I enjoyed your video. I hope you get the dry ice for free, that stuff is spendy!
In my experience, critters don't eat shot up pumpkin. It rots, takes a while to completely go away, and generally smells bad.

This was my bad. Wasn't sure the watermelon would have been a big deal. I just figured animals would eat that stuff. I did however pick up all my shotgun shells and the most i could of the watermelon stuff. Just wanted to note that i do clean up after myself. It was clear that alot of people leave bad trash behind. When we pulled up there was a tire and some kind of pan sitting there off to the side. But yes i agree about keeping that place clean and wont be shooting anything other than targets from here on. I appreciate what you guys do for that place!
Thanks for the come back, Eagle! I binge watched a few other of your videos and like em! Subscribed!

If y'all notice, the shooting locations in his video scenes, are always clean (I'm sure they were not like that when he gets there!) and he uses good backstops and target placement. I think he's doing a whole lot better than some YouTubers who show trees for backstops and beer cans or milk jugs for targets, (which is all fine and dandy on private property but they never say it's private or they don't disclaim "don't do this on public land"). So I like what Freedom's doing and learning a lot.

He and I shared a good round of emails last night. Don't be surprised if you see us team up on one of his videos someday. Might be a good opportunity to share a message about being responsible on public lands and encourage viewers to uphold the integrity of gun owners.

Keep them vids coming, Eagle! Thanks.

Bill

Thanks for the come back, Eagle! I binge watched a few other of your videos and like em! Subscribed!

If y'all notice, the shooting locations in his video scenes, are always clean (I'm sure they were not like that when he gets there!) and he uses good backstops and target placement. I think he's doing a whole lot better than some YouTubers who show trees for backstops and beer cans or milk jugs for targets, (which is all fine and dandy on private property but they never say it's private or they don't disclaim "don't do this on public land"). So I like what Freedom's doing and learning a lot.

He and I shared a good round of emails last night. Don't be surprised if you see us team up on one of his videos someday. Might be a good opportunity to share a message about being responsible on public lands and encourage viewers to uphold the integrity of gun owners.

Keep them vids coming, Eagle! Thanks.

Bill
As a youtuber who's shot all my videos up at the lanes I'd like the idea of doing a collaborative video on proper lane use with all of us who create content utilizing these lanes that we could all then post on our own channels and then promote each other's videos/channels to hopefully help spread the word. I know I sometime share my videos on some liberal leaning local facebook groups and have actively promoted stewardship on those sites as well.

Here's the link to my channel:
Stevie

Thanks for coming on and leaving this message. This says more than you may think.

I enjoyed your video on the FX-9 and am happy that the lanes provide a safe and enjoyable place for you to utilize for shooting video.

Thanks for understanding the portrayal and such. It's part of what I'm about, creating better images of recreational shooters on public lands.

Opps! Got this note from ODF today and figure it's okay to share it. Hmmm... we still got more communication work to do!

The lanes look pretty good. Not too much trash. I cleaned up most of it., including tires at lanes 1 and 2.

There are a couple of issues we need to think on and try to resolve.

At lane 2 the placement of targets across the wet area seems to be increasing. I picked up a lot of trash on the slope and the trees, stumps, and logs on the slope are getting pretty shot up. People are also continuing to place targets on the top of the impact zone, effectively creating an impact area on the slope across the wet area.

At lane 3 someone placed a bunch of pumpkins on the short lane impact berm and shot them up. If this continues to happen at the same level of intensity our ¼ 10 rock is going to become overly contaminated with organic material and could likely lose some of its effectiveness (harder to sift for lead, harder to rake back into place, etc.) and reduce the sustainability of the berms.

More people than not, are setting up their targets on the impact berm, rather than in front of the impact berm. And some people are setting things on top of the impact . Some of the targets are being set on top of the impact berm which creates issues for the slope area behind the short lane impact berm. There was a lot of clay pigeon, lumber, and log debris on the short lane impact berm. I also cleaned up a lot of small plastic wrapped packets of paint, Not sure if they are sold targets or not.

On the long lane berm people are continuing to place targets on the open exposed soil above the built impact berm. At some point we will get this area seeded and planted. In the meantime the mud from the area above the impact berm is starting to erode into the top of the impact berm. Erosion is taking place as a result of people climbing on the area, from the hits the area is continuing to take, and from the rain.

I think the lane 3 work is holding up pretty well considering the above concerns and lane 2 is looking OK as well. We are getting some soil contamination on the rock at the end of the lane. I think it is mostly due to people continuing to set up targets on the impact slope.

I think we need to monitor both lanes over the next couple of months to help inform the upgrade work at lanes 1 and 4 and to determine if there are other modifications we need to include for lanes 2 and 3 while the work at lanes 1 and 4 is taking place.

I believe that more of a staff or volunteer presence is the best way to help communicate and establish appropriate and responsible use at the lanes.

So when you can, please communicate the above information. Stay off the berms and hillsides, place targets in front of the berms and take out your trash and wood debris when you're done.

Thanks!

I wonder if we could get one of the Oregon based steel target manufactures to maybe set up a booth in the area across from lane three like one Saturday a month and let people try out some of their product on the lanes. I suspect a lot of the bad behavior is for lack of a better idea for targets. As we all know, once you've shot on steel, everything else seems boring. I always make a point to invite people I share lanes with to try my steel target. I suspect that if the new people using these lanes get a chance to try a steel target, they'll want one and hopefully the manufacture represented gets some new business. Just an idea, probably best for the late spring through early fall seasons.

This is just my opinion of course, but I don't know if encouraging steel targets is a good idea. The problem is if they are set up without a good downward deflection there could be some bounch backs into the shooters and onlookers. Especially if some of those that shoot the big guns shoot at them placed too close. I know I would not want to shoot in a lane next to someone that just propped up a steel target and are plugging away at it with their shotgun or AR rifle. Most of those lanes do not have the distance to place them without putting them behind the berms or up on the hill in back. And if they try steel and like it but don't have their own, they might get creative and bring up something that isn't a target.

Just something to think about.

Also, Cog, would it be possible to get some pictures or maybe a video of a right way and wrong way of setting up targets, with placements and maybe some examples of how the wrong way causes harm to the lanes and surrounding areas? Not everyone will see it of course and those that don't care what anyone says still won't care if they saw it, but it might help the inexperienced and those that will do the right thing if they know what the right thing is. A video would also be another source when people looking for shooting places in the area (and it could be done for other areas as well) do their Google searches and the videos on North Folk Wolf Creek pop up.

Mike

...would it be possible to get some pictures or maybe a video of a right way and wrong way of setting up targets, with placements and maybe some examples of how the wrong way causes harm to the lanes and surrounding areas? Not everyone will see it of course and those that don't care what anyone says still won't care if they saw it, but it might help the inexperienced and those that will do the right thing if they know what the right thing is. A video would also be another source when people looking for shooting places in the area (and it could be done for other areas as well) do their Google searches and the videos on North Folk Wolf Creek pop up.

Mike
Yes, Mike. Several more vids are in the plans, all having to do with responsible shooting. Especially target select and placement. I just need more time!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Not as funny as I had hoped for, but, it should draw attention and might get remembered at the site.
Seems rather stupid to have to say this. You'd think it's like 'Duh'!

Stay off the berm.jpg
I'll use that in social media, not posted at the lanes. We'll do something different at the lanes.

Last Edited:
I like it, for posting at the lanes I'd suggest something more liken to the pictographs used om emergency airplane evacuation cards, a red circle with a line through it over a pictograph of somebody climbing the berm next to a pictograph of a target in front of the berm and a green check mark next to it. Something like that. We recently went through an ISO certification audit at work and one of the things we got hit for was not having these pictograph warning on the hazardous materials. Apparently you can't expect everyone to be able to read regardless of the language :).

I like it, for posting at the lanes I'd suggest something more liken to the pictographs used om emergency airplane evacuation cards, a red circle with a line through it over a pictograph of somebody climbing the berm next to a pictograph of a target in front of the berm and a green check mark next to it. Something like that. We recently went through an ISO certification audit at work and one of the things we got hit for was not having these pictograph warning on the hazardous materials. Apparently you can't expect everyone to be able to read regardless of the language :).
Perfect! Excellent idea!

...suggest something more liken to the pictographs used om emergency airplane evacuation cards, a red circle with a line through it over a pictograph of somebody climbing the berm next to a pictograph of a target in front of the berm and a green check mark next to it.

Like this?

Walking on berm with NO footprints cropped with berm.jpg
And this?
Target Yes No 2 Cropped.jpg

I like the second picture.

The first kind of looks like your saying don't poop on the berm! Lol.

Draw your own pictograms!

Wondering about having the word BERM on it, or leave it off?

Thinking of putting a shooter in front of the pic with the green checkmark?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top