JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Social media is really going crazy with our post! Lots of shares, comments, likes and questions, but no negative stuff. We're spreading the word about responsible shooting and treating these lanes with respect!

We need this kind of activity because we're about to launch the announcement of our fundraiser to finish lanes 1 & 4. Gotta capitalize on the momentum of this!

I have the website page about done and putting the final touches on the fundraiser video. Should be launched before Thanksgiving.

So dig in to those pockets and get ready to help with completing lanes 1 & 4! :)

@Reno911 @Cogs Excellent work gents. I remember when Reno and I were sitting in the ODF office with Jason working this out long ago and the current upgrades are how we envisioned it looking. Great job on making it happen.
Thank you, Mr. Norm! We always value your input, advice and recommendations. You've been a great help in the original plans for Wolf Creek Rd, and with those future lanes ODF is considering. Thanks man! Keep in touch!

Bill

Was it muddy? Mud makes it no fun.
During the time I was there the ground was frozen... no mud. The sun was out and frost was thawing when I left - it was a little slick but the ground was still hard.

The gravel on lane 2 will certainly help with the mud. It was always fun working around the pond in the middle.

It was a busy but great day shooting at North Fork today, the mist cleared and was a beautiful day to be out. My buddy and I got there around 9am and all lanes were quite busy. The two groups at lane 4 welcomed us and we all went to town, everyone was professional & courteous. Makes me glad to be part of the shooting community!

I did walk away with a little bit of trash but the lane was pretty clean. I did leave quite a bit of brass since it was pretty muddy...maybe someone will grab it before I get up there again!

Yep. They'll be there at 0'darkthirty with flashlights picking up all the brass they can get! You'll never see it again!

(Now, if we could only make shotgun hulls worth something!)

Some of the people I've seen up there picking up brass are not exactly the type I like seeing hanging around. I know it helps keep the lanes clean, but my gut feeling is that when they are done there, they are then off to clean out someone's house.

E

Earlier when these were first starting development stages, we were in talks with known tweaker types to help pick up brass. They even pick up the 22 cases most leave behind. They wouldn't touch the shotgun hulls unfortunately or the steel cases. I imagine they were doing so to scrap the metal for drug money. At the time we appreciated was they were helping pick up and clean.

Fast forward three years and we are starting to get a feeling that these folks aren't always the greatest to mix with gun owners at a public shooting range.

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot we can do about some of these activities other than be aware of them and keep an eye out for suspicious activity.

This is a very low percentage of people going to these lanes, so I don't want anyone thinking it's an everyday thing. These lanes are still the most safe and enjoyable place to shoot recreationally in Tillamook State Forest.

My first post in years. Was drawn in by this thread. Heard about it from a forest ranger while looking for a safe place to shoot in Timber. He even handed me a brochure to the site. Looking forward to visit soon. Thank you so much to those involved in making this a reality.

I was up there this last Saturday, along with most of the West side, enjoying lane 2, very nice, it was a pleasure to use. It would have been a muddy lake that day if not for the improvements. It was probably around 9am when a couple in a pickup coming down the road stopped to ask if I was with Northwest Firearms, as question I'm getting more often these days, and then told me about how he ended up with a steel cased 9mm projectile. He wasn't specific as to exactly where he was, but they were driving down from I believe lane 4 when that bullet came through his open window and landed in his lap. I assumed his window was open otherwise there would be a lot of glass and different feel in the air, but needless to say either of them were hurt. He's got a interesting souvenir of his first visit to the lanes. Not to long after, the usual State trooper we've all talked with stopped by and I related the incident to him. Not sure what to make of it but can only assume somebody's walked past that first gate and is shoot on that ridge towards the lanes. Anyways, first time I've heard of such a thing happening up there, so there it is :)

I was up there this last Saturday, along with most of the West side, enjoying lane 2, very nice, it was a pleasure to use. It would have been a muddy lake that day if not for the improvements. It was probably around 9am when a couple in a pickup coming down the road stopped to ask if I was with Northwest Firearms, as question I'm getting more often these days, and then told me about how he ended up with a steel cased 9mm projectile. He wasn't specific as to exactly where he was, but they were driving down from I believe lane 4 when that bullet came through his open window and landed in his lap. I assumed his window was open otherwise there would be a lot of glass and different feel in the air, but needless to say either of them were hurt. He's got a interesting souvenir of his first visit to the lanes. Not to long after, the usual State trooper we've all talked with stopped by and I related the incident to him. Not sure what to make of it but can only assume somebody's walked past that first gate and is shoot on that ridge towards the lanes. Anyways, first time I've heard of such a thing happening up there, so there it is :)
Without detailed info on the situation, we can only guess at what may have happened. We'd need to know what kind of target were they shooting at, what was the angle of the target, direction of line of fire and a few other observation details.

If it stopped inside the cab, (in his lap), then it didn't have any velocity left in it. Which leads me to believe it was a ricochet off a solid object at a straight on or upward angle target. Probably at the short range berm.

Wish they would have had more details. It would help us to better understand the performance characteristics of the lane improvements and if there are any issues for concern.

Probably a ricochet from one of the lane shooters that ended up in his lap. They can do some weird things. I find slugs in places I would never think they'd end up. Had a 45 come back and hit me in the leg shooting into dirt. I shoot at roughly 90 deg from the back of my house and will find lead laying on the sidewalk up against the house occasionally. I never hear them hitting (ear muffs) and the few that have landed near me or friends are pretty much spent out, no dents in the house. The one that hit my shin didn't really hurt much. The lower velocity rounds tend to bounce more (38 sp, 9mm, 45 acp, etc..), never had a rifle or hi-powered hand-gun do it but have watched some vids of it happening. If his window had been up chances are it wouldn't have broken it, maybe.....

Interesting to say the least. Hopefully he signs up here or is on here and shares more details on the matter.

Without detailed info on the situation, we can only guess at what may have happened. We'd need to know what kind of target were they shooting at, what was the angle of the target, direction of line of fire and a few other observation details.

If it stopped inside the cab, (in his lap), then it didn't have any velocity left in it. Which leads me to believe it was a ricochet off a solid object at a straight on or upward angle target. Probably at the short range berm.

Wish they would have had more details. It would help us to better understand the performance characteristics of the lane improvements and if there are any issues for concern.
I was able to examine the projectile and other than the wear on the tail when leaving the case, there was no marks or deformation on the projectile, you could probably reload it. It was a steel jacketed bullet which make me presume it was probably Tul Ammo. He implied that they were not actually passing a lane at the time it happened. But yes, I believe he's been to this blog since that's how he learned of the lanes, but not sure if he's signed up or not.

I was able to examine the projectile and other than the wear on the tail when leaving the case, there was no marks or deformation on the projectile, you could probably reload it. It was a steel jacketed bullet which make me presume it was probably Tul Ammo. He implied that they were not actually passing a lane at the time it happened. But yes, I believe he's been to this blog since that's how he learned of the lanes, but not sure if he's signed up or not.
No rifling marks?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top