JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Attention is better than Warning, yes.

We need to be careful not to over-think this, i thought we came up with a good sign, we shouldn't read too far into it, and again, keep it simple, this is to apply to, and get the attention of the lowest common denominator, not ourselves.

Attention is better than Warning, yes.

We need to be careful not to over-think this, i thought we came up with a good sign, we shouldn't read too far into it, and again, keep it simple, this is to apply to, and get the attention of the lowest common denominator, not ourselves.
Yep... I'm getting exhausted just over thinking it, but the ideas have been good and thought provoking. We should just pick one and run with it. If they disappear, or get shot up, we can try a different one. At the least, we'll have a plethora of signs at our finger tips! (Sure glad for the Three Amigo's movie! Plethora is a fun word!).

Great stuff. Big improvements. A few more thoughts for you:

How's this? (Guilt trip with a little encouragement).
I agree about removing "Warning". I also would change "YOU" in both places to "WE".

"Shootership! Get Some!" -- I am not sure what that means.

The ideas are great. I would look at every sentence and see if there is a way to reduce the word count -- for example:

"forest agency does not have crews that cleanup" vs
"no forest agency cleanup crews."

Ideal is one 3-6 word "sentence" per single line "paragraph".

The fewer words are on the sign, the more likely they will get read. A lot of people, esp. younger people, WILL NOT read paragraphs. Anything longer than a bumper sticker may as well be a thousand pages long.

I would similarly shorten/edit/bulletpoint these sentences to something like the following:

Enjoy this place?

Keep it clean!

Forest agency has NO clean up crews!

Pack in & pack out

ALL shells / targets / garbage.

We do it or we lose it.

It's up to us!

Great stuff. Big improvements. A few more thoughts for you:

I agree about removing "Warning". I also would change "YOU" in both places to "WE".

The ideas are great. I would look at every sentence and see if there is a way to reduce the word count -- for example:

"forest agency does not have crews that cleanup" vs
"no forest agency cleanup crews."

Ideal is one 3-6 word "sentence" per single line "paragraph".

The fewer words are on the sign, the more likely they will get read. A lot of people, esp. younger people, WILL NOT read paragraphs. Anything longer than a bumper sticker may as well be a thousand pages long.

I would similarly shorten/edit/bulletpoint these sentences to something like the following:

Enjoy this place?

Keep it clean!

Forest agency has NO clean up crews!

Pack in & pack out

ALL shells / targets / garbage.

We do it or we lose it.

It's up to us!
That's the kind of input I'm lookin for! Thanks Toast!

Bill

Shootership means Sportsmanship, Ethics, Stewardship, Comradery and Pride in representing the 2A while shooting. It's a word I came up with a while back and have been searching it, but I can't find it anywhere. So, I guess I made it up.

Get Some! A phrase I've mostly heard in military slang, however is also used with various meanings. In this application, it's implying; Get Some Shootership.

My 'off-the-wall' mind mulls over a ton of stuff, not all of which are good ideas or thoughts. But I thought I'd throw this one out there and see if people get it and use it.

I hope we're coming to an end to this 'Sign' discussion! I'm ready to send it to the printer. Which one? Any further adjustments?

CAUTION.png Written sign 2.png

I prefer the text on the right. But not tilted. Also, the period after "pack out" should be removed, because the following line completes the sentence.

I do like both signs.

Great job!
Got it. Thanks for your input, Toast! I'm liking this sign too. It was @Mikej who suggested it, but there's a little something from everyone's imput. Plus, I like a lower printing cost!
Written sign Draft 3.png

Got it. Thanks for your input, Toast! I'm liking this sign too. It was @Mikej who suggested it, but there's a little something from everyone's imput. Plus, I like a lower printing cost!
I like:
Keep it clean!
Pack in & pack out all targets/shells/trash.
WE do it or WE lose it!
It's up to us.

Does colour cost more?

I do not like:
Enjoy this place? - i don't think this is needed, and there will always be cocky prats who say they don't, and don't read or follow the rest.

No cleanup crews - it's too short/doesn't mean what we want it to - open to suggestions whilst still keeping it short.

A young friend of mine stopped by with her new boyfriend the other day and he happened to mention how the Forest Service and Weyerhaeuser were going to close everything past the shooting lanes turn off to shooting.

I have no clue if it is real or not, but I would not blame them because of stuff like this below in a spot that used to marked with one of those first "no shooting" signs. That sign never did stop the idiots.

tree.jpg

I like:
Keep it clean!
Pack in & pack out all targets/shells/trash.
WE do it or WE lose it!
It's up to us.

Does colour cost more?

I do not like:
Enjoy this place? - i don't think this is needed, and there will always be cocky prats who say they don't, and don't read or follow the rest.

No cleanup crews - it's too short/doesn't mean what we want it to - open to suggestions whilst still keeping it short.
Good input. Here's a little modification:
Written sign Draft 4.png

==============================

Help keep it clean!

Forestry DOES NOT clean for us!

WE DO IT, OR WE LOSE IT!

Pack in & pack out ALL targets/shells/trash.

============================

==============================

Help keep it clean!

Forestry DOES NOT clean for us!

WE DO IT, OR WE LOSE IT!

Pack in & pack out ALL targets/shells/trash.

============================
Without the first line, "A great place to shoot", the message sounds more demanding and may cause dissension which may lead to destruction. I would rather see a sign that encourages and messages a sense of comradery.

I do like the other suggestions! Here's the 5th edit;
Written sign Draft 5.png

Great signs! I think having the explicit and real threat of closure mentioned as on the left sign is important. I don't think people will understand the "WE lose it" part without an authority mentioned like the ODF / Forestry Service.

Much appreciated either way!

How about as the first line, in red and in upper case...

..........WELCOME
to a great place to shoot !
......Help keep it clean
Forestry DOES NOT clean for us
.....Help keep this site open
Pack out all targets/shells/trash
.....WE do it or WE lose it !

Great signs! I think having the explicit and real threat of closure mentioned as on the left sign is important. I don't think people will understand the "WE lose it" part without an authority mentioned like the ODF / Forestry Service.

Much appreciated either way!
I think that part is okay, and understood by most. If they don't get it, maybe they'll reread it till they do.

If we can keep a specific forest agency name out of it, I can use it in other forests. I wouldn't mind posting these at many other places throughout Oregon $ Washington!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top