JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone noticed any improvements to the road?
Hi @AmNorth , welcome to the forum! Good to have you aboard!

Did you notice anything? I've been sitting here anxiously awaiting someone to report the road condition and hoping ODF got out there to fix it. Haven't seen any posts yet. Almost took the drive last Sunday but went to my own backyard forest instead (it was closer and cheaper on gas!).

Do you shoot on public land often? Any specific kind of shooting you prefer?

Bill

Thanks @Cogs!

I tried a few weeks ago but turned back rather than risk bottoming out. Seems like Utzpotatochips made it tho, so I'll give it another try.

I mostly go to controlled ranges, but I moved and now North Fork is the closest place. Looking forward to trying it out.

41FBBF55-62BD-4241-B2CE-EDDB720209FA.jpeg As of this morning it's worse. I also hauled a whole truck bed and toolbox full of garbage off of lane 3 when I left.

I don't' know? That doesn't look so bad. The guys that are claiming bottoming out, are they just driving strait up the middle? They got their cars suspension all butcher, lowered, with the tires splay out? Have the younger generation never learned to pick a path through the woopties? I used to run my '63 Rambler Ambassador through much worse than that and never hit bottom? But then maybe the front wheel drive that auto makers sold the gullible public on just spins on the gravel in a place like that? The Rambler did have limited slip and rear wheel drive. :s0092:

So definitely recommend going slowly over this small section. For holes, it's speed consideration first, followed by path, basic rough ground navigation that not everyone is going to know these days.

Traffic accident at the north fork intersection this afternoon-

Saw the highway closed sign on the way home. Did not realize it was in that area.

That's why you pay attention and wrecks won't happen.

Dang, looking at that photo and the article below it looks like a semi broadsided the blue car which then caught on fire (guessing). White truck damage was probably secondary after initial hit. That is really scary. More info here, says close to county line.

Traffic still slowed right now at what I presume is the crash site. Since it was broadside, perhaps someone was turning onto the hwy or more likely doing a u turn I would guess after driving by the north fork road.

That would make sense cuz the semi was probably going down hill thus the high speed hit -harder for semi to lose any speed going downhill and also right side of blue vehicle is hit which would make sense if blue vehicle was going west bound and did a uturn to go eastbound. Also resting place of blue vehicle (on south shoulder of eastbound lanes) would make sense. Also lines and debris on the road r consistent with that. Looks like there is a curve in the road uphill from crash site so possibly did not see/could not see semi when pulling out. Who knows, just speculating. Tragic for sure and again prayers for any in the blue vehicle (4runner maybe? Subaru Forester?). C45005F5-D767-48F5-A9C4-300341BB36A1.png

Last Edited:

Wow, that was right when I left there yesterday afternoon.

I think it happened just around the uphill corner west of the 4 Corners hiking area, as I didn't see anything from North Fork when turning onto Hwy 26.

Before turning east onto Hwy 26, I saw two ODOT trucks rush by with lights on, and shortly thereafter saw pretty much every fire truck, ambulance, and police car headed westbound in a hurry.

Aside from the gentle corner, visibility is pretty good in that area. It makes you wonder how this happened. :s0092:

On a lighter note, when I was headed in late Friday night to go camping, I got caught admiring the State Police's buck decoy! :s0114:

I knew exactly what it was when I saw it, and stopped to take a picture, after which the OSP truck came out of hiding and stopped to chat for a bit.

He said they had already caught one person that evening, which unfortunately isn't surprising. Having grown up in an area where poaching was all too commonplace, I hate poachers with a passion! :s0117:

The decoy they used where I grew up, colloquially known as "Scruffy", was a bit more realistic than this one. I think Scuffy's ears and tail would move, or perhaps the whole head moved, but this one was just a still decoy.

It makes you wonder just how stupid people are to fall for something so obvious. :s0125:

Aside from the gentle corner, visibility is pretty good in that area. It makes you wonder how this happened. :s0092:

On a lighter note, when I was headed in late Friday night to go camping, I got caught admiring the State Police's buck decoy! :s0114:

I knew exactly what it was when I saw it, and stopped to take a picture, after which the OSP truck came out of hiding and stopped to chat for a bit.

He said they had already caught one person that evening, which unfortunately isn't surprising. Having grown up in an area where poaching was all too commonplace, I hate poachers with a passion! :s0117:

The decoy they used where I grew up, colloquially known as "Scruffy", was a bit more realistic than this one. I think Scuffy's ears and tail would move, or perhaps the whole head moved, but this one was just a still decoy.

It makes you wonder just how stupid people are to fall for something so obvious. :s0125:

I know how it happened. Someone wasn't paying attention. Listen to the traffic reports and notice where wrecks are. ( "Accident" indicates something that couldn't be helped) The huge majority of wrecks are in areas that are straight, wide, and on dry roads with good lighting. People don't take the responsibility serious anymore. Or their just stoopid and maybe should be eliminated from the gene pool.

"Scruffy" We watch North woods Law" and other such shows. Just saw one where the warden had a stuffed PHEASANT! :eek: OMG. Warden hiding in the brush just off a paved road. Not some little, narrow private country road. No, it was a good sized 2-lane. Guy comes to a quick stop in his truck, jumps out with the shot gun and stands at the rear corner of the truck, and blasts away! "WARDEN". "Empty your gun". At least i can understand some creep, near-do-well going for an elk. That's a lot of meat! but a pheasant? What a dork.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top