JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 780025

Good news everyone, I was just up at the lanes this morning and ODF indeed has been by to repair the road. It's hard to say if they are finished, I suspect they'll be back to lay down a layer of gravel since it appears they only filled in the ruts with earth. But it's way, way better, probably the best condition I've ever seen it in. There is a 100 foot section of Wolf Creek Rd it's self in the area where the gated turn off for logging that has most new people confusing for the turn off to the lanes is currently one big long muddy slip n' slide, so be careful of your speed on Wolf Creek Rd. While it's not great news, there doesn't seem to be any trash on the lanes that's really big, mostly a whole lot of bag worthy crap to be picked up.

So need some clarification on the bolded underlined part for those of us that haven't been to the lanes yet. The actual turn off to the lanes is after this section of road? Also what part is muddy? The turn off for logging or the actual road to get to the lanes?

Planning to head out there for the first time soon.

So need some clarification on the bolded underlined part for those of us that haven't been to the lanes yet. The actual turn off to the lanes is after this section of road? Also what part is muddy? The turn off for logging or the actual road to get to the lanes?

I can answer this I think. Once you're on Wolfcreek rd there's a dirt road that goes to the left a ways up. It comes in at a 90 degree angle. The second road that forks to the right is the road to the lanes. Pretty simple really, drive past the first road to the right, and take the second road that forks to the right.

I can answer this I think. Once you're on Wolfcreek rd there's a dirt road that goes to the left a ways up. It comes in at a 90 degree angle. The second road that forks to the right is the road to the lanes. Pretty simple really, drive past the first road to the right, and take the second road that forks to the right.
And it's the section of N. Wolf Creek Rd as it passes that first right that has become a big old muddy slip-n'-slide. I do hope ODF covers their work on the road to the lanes with gravel or else it too will become a muddy slip-n'-slide, but for now it is a very smooth ride up and down that section.

This, (map link below), is the only first road to the right, once you're on Wolf Creek Rd off Hwy 26 (it's a hard 90 degree right). The second right is a wye to the right and it takes you to the shooting lanes. The first right has a closed gate. The second right is an open gate. If it's ever closed, it's because of a cleanup-in-progress, or a construction activity or a per-registered group activity.

So, I take this information to be referring to the first gate, that's always closed. Could be that the main road, at that first gate, is really bad and caution is needed.
https://goo.gl/maps/nQH6gh9F5KY44Jhi9

See post #2724 on page 137 here to see what it looks like. This was before the "fix". Leading up to that there is a section of the main road that is extremely slimy and will be an ice rink if it freezes.

I made a time lapse video of how to get to the lanes here:

While we're on the subject of the first gate... The Google link below is to a site, (on that first road gate), that holds high potential for a future 'Developed Shooting Range' (it's exactly due East, and visible, from lane 4).

I say 'Developed Range', because it could be a major range where several lanes are sectioned off, (with high divider berm sidewalls), and multiple users could use these lanes (Groups and individuals). It's a range where there are no RSO's and, again, is regulated by the users. First come, first serve and open 7 days/week, sunup to sundown.

It's a real wide section of a hill side that has been already logged out and is prime for dropping in a large shooting range. It would need to have stumps removed, side berms built, drainage accommodations, parking provisions and shooting platforms in place. Perhaps even coverings over the shooting platforms and maybe covers over the target impact berms.

There is enough room where we can make accommodations for parking and all of the above. It's a major development and will take a lot of planning and design to make it happen. ODF is open to this idea and needs some input as to the development of the idea.

Personally, I like it and would strongly recommend we proceed with the development of this location. Trash No Land can be the primary grant applicant and ODF would be the property owner.

I really think this improvement will help lessen the load on the Wolf Creek shooting lanes, and, offer a huge option to groups and individuals who prefer shooting on public lands.
https://goo.gl/maps/GzC2af8JdWVvdN1r6

Rnd 2-1.jpg

Rnd 2-2.jpg

Rnd 2-3.jpg

Rnd 2-4.jpg

Rnd 2-5.jpg

While we're on the subject of the first gate... The Google link below is to a site, (on that first road gate), that holds high potential for a future 'Developed Shooting Range' (it's exactly due East, and visible, from lane 4).

I say 'Developed Range', because it could be a major range where several lanes are sectioned off, (with high divider berm sidewalls), and multiple users could use these lanes (Groups and individuals). It's a range where there are no RSO's and, again, is regulated by the users. First come, first serve and open 7 days/week, sunup to sundown.

It's a real wide section of a hill side that has been already logged out and is prime for dropping in a large shooting range. It would need to have stumps removed, side berms built, drainage accommodations, parking provisions and shooting platforms in place. Perhaps even coverings over the shooting platforms and maybe covers over the target impact berms.

There is enough room where we can make accommodations for parking and all of the above. It's a major development and will take a lot of planning and design to make it happen. ODF is open to this idea and needs some input as to the development of the idea.

Personally, I like it and would strongly recommend we proceed with the development of this location. Trash No Land can be the primary grant applicant and ODF would be the property owner.

I really think this improvement will help lessen the load on the Wolf Creek shooting lanes, and, offer a huge option to groups and individuals who prefer shooting on public lands.
https://goo.gl/maps/GzC2af8JdWVvdN1r6

View attachment 780791

View attachment 780792

View attachment 780793

View attachment 780794

View attachment 780795

Regards the first picture,

Is that the spot where you can see from lane #4? I was shooting at lane 4 one day and there were some folks behind me up the hills shooting also.

I made a time lapse video of how to get to the lanes here:

Thanks for the vid. That is extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone else for the info as well.

I drove there today about an hour prior to sunset. Wasn't planning on shooting at all, I just wanted to get a feel for the road up to the lanes. I think I took the wrong fork though...the left fork instead of the gated one going up to the right and so after driving past that fork for a while, I headed back without having seen the lanes. Now I know exactly where to go though.

The road was definitely driveable even for a smaller non 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive vehicle, though there was a portion of the road early on that was really slippery due to mud and could have done with some additional gravel. There were some potholes here and there, but definitely avoidable.

Thanks for the vid. That is extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone else for the info as well.

I drove there today about an hour prior to sunset. Wasn't planning on shooting at all, I just wanted to get a feel for the road up to the lanes. I think I took the wrong fork though...the left fork instead of the gated one going up to the right and so after driving past that fork for a while, I headed back without having seen the lanes. Now I know exactly where to go though.

The road was definitely driveable even for a smaller non 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive vehicle, though there was a portion of the road early on that was really slippery due to mud and could have done with some additional gravel. There were some potholes here and there, but definitely avoidable.

Lane 1 is shorter than 4 and 3 but it's probably my favorite lane when I'm by myself and not have to worry about people coming up asking to share a lane. The road is about 25 feet away from the actual shooting spot. In the summer time, you have the trees to give you some shade.

Drove up today, all 4 lanes were being used and it looked like different groups were sharing them.

The road heading up from the gate has been fixed by ODF. I still put the Ranger in 1st gear after watching another truck had up. There were sedans up at the lanes, as well as usual SUVs and trucks.

Didn't get a good look at the jersey barriers, but I would still suggest someone else bring brown and grey spray paint to the clean up.

We decided to take in the views from the top of the ridges further back into N. Fork Wolf Creek road. It was good to get above the fog. 20201121_151648.jpg

For any of those interested in the progress and any future plans for this area, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, reading through this thread. I know it's something 140 pages long. However there is tons of information in this thread in regards to EXACT LOCATIONS of other longer distant areas, NO GO AREAS, as well as any and all future plans for developing other areas of the NFWC McGregir Basin areas.

BTW, there were some idiots shooting handguns across from lane 3 on Friday afternoon, off the right side no less. I could not see the No Shooting Sign, but the light was fading.

BTW, there were some idiots shooting handguns across from lane 3 on Friday afternoon, off the right side no less. I could not see the No Shooting Sign, but the light was fading.
I wonder if we could talk ODF into digging up that open area beyond the parking spaces for lane 3 and transplanting enough waist high pine trees to fill that whole area. That should shut down anyone using it as another shooting spot.

Excellent !!!!

I know many of us have been itching to get a clean-up going, so on Black Friday I'll post here a reminder of our plan and will reach out to those of you who have posted your interest to participate.
Keep us posted. Has been a weird year but still plenty of trash to haul out. Supposed to go shooting day after thanksgiving with a friend out past estacada, will scout for clean up spots. We may have to make up for the lost summer with some winter cleanups, everyone get your boots and 4x4 s ready.

Got a chance to sneak out to the lanes before sunset yesterday, the roadway is very very much improved and I doubt any vehicle would struggle to reach NFWC.

Thanks to the member who let me jump in on lane 3! Even ended up trading some 22LR as I bought about 15 variants to try and he had one that I didn't!

I hope we can get a cleanup on the books. This time of year it's really tough to find the extra space in the home garbage bin.

Got a chance to sneak out to the lanes before sunset yesterday, the roadway is very very much improved and I doubt any vehicle would struggle to reach NFWC.

Thanks to the member who let me jump in on lane 3! Even ended up trading some 22LR as I bought about 15 variants to try and he had one that I didn't!

I hope we can get a cleanup on the books. This time of year it's really tough to find the extra space in the home garbage bin.

Oh, that was you? Haha, I bought a LaRue trigger off you a few months ago. Good to see you again!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top