JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
According to ODF, the repair on the access road should have happened either last Thursday or Friday. They were waiting for the availability of a tamper and hoping for some rain to help pack the gravel. If it's not done yet, I'm sure it will be beginning of next week.
It wasn't fixed as of today (10/31/2020). It'll be appreciated when they do get it regraded -- I won't have to take the kid car anymore :)

So I've yet to visit the lanes. I'm waiting for the road repairs to happen.

On a different note...this place sounds really busy, even in the very early mornings on a weekday based on some of the posts here. Is that typical?

Honestly, it blows hot and cold.
People treat it like say, a store that's typically open during daylight hours, where it will have standard traffic of people through it - based on this, they choose times when you'd see less people traffic through a store.

Everyone does that, and ignore the fact it doesn't have typical people visiting it, so they tend to have the inverse busy times to a store.

...this place sounds really busy, even in the very early mornings on a weekday based on some of the posts here. Is that typical?
Yes, very typical. I suspect even more so, recently, due to the closures from fires in Mt Hood Nat Forest and the Santiam SF. However even without those closures, this place is perhaps the most popular public land place to shoot anywhere around the Portland Metro area.

So I've yet to visit the lanes. I'm waiting for the road repairs to happen.

On a different note...this place sounds really busy, even in the very early mornings on a weekday based on some of the posts here. Is that typical?
I was up there last Thursday morning on lane 4 with my brother around 7:30 AM, we were there until 9 AM and nobody else showed up. On the way down it looked like the same person on lane 3 we saw coming in was still there, but 1 and 2 were open. It was a beautiful morning to shoot, so it was unusual not to see at least one person stop by lane 4 the whole time we were there, not to mention other lanes open, but it does sometimes happen. I think as we get into late fall and start entering winter it's less and less likely to be that busy earliest in the morning on weekdays.

We had lane 4 at dawn today, true as you guys predicted, they said there was a transient up there staying the night that left shortly after we arrived.

The road is worse than ever. But it's really just the last leg to the lanes. If you want to go on past it's not too bad.

Lane 4 was disgusting. Batch of clothes or something left half burned, maybe 1000 steel cases on the ground. Garbage everywhere.

We hauled a ton out, but there's was a lot left behind unfortunately.

20201101_123818.jpg 20201101_123801.jpg 20201101_123753.jpg 20201101_123732.jpg 20201101_123712.jpg

Ahh, cameras doing their flattening out thing that they do so well :( Appreciate the perspective attempt with the magazine though :D

Now, that being said, i think almost anything will get up there so long as they're going slowly enough and doing their best to straddle to worst (noticed some people seem to think they can do any speed up there)

Thank you for cleaning up, makes a big difference this time of year when more transients and/or bubblegums seem to be doing the rounds and less cleanup crews.

My 8 year old son and I were there this morning. Got there around 8, and half way there on the side of the road was a red 90's ford explorer with a busted front windshield. But was gone when we left.

The hill going up to the lanes were fun. Fortunately I borrowed the wife's jeep opposed to my jetta I take up there. All the lanes were full so we patiently waited and lane 2 was free.

It was trashed when we got there. Homemade targets, plastic pop bottles and cans, looked to be a cooler, and lots of steel and brass.

About 20 minutes in a couple of guys came over and asked if they could watch my son and I shoot. They seemed nice but I felt uneasy so I told them we were just finishing up, packed up and left. If they hadn't showed up like they did we would have hauled more of the trash out but the safety of my son was important.

Every trip up there I make it a point to my son that we need to keep places like this clean, and we try to pick up as much as we can before we leave. But today was different. Hopefully or next trip up we can stay out a little longer and shoot more than a full box of ammo!

My 8 year old son and I were there this morning. Got there around 8, and half way there on the side of the road was a red 90's ford explorer with a busted front windshield. But was gone when we left.

The hill going up to the lanes were fun. Fortunately I borrowed the wife's jeep opposed to my jetta I take up there. All the lanes were full so we patiently waited and lane 2 was free.

It was trashed when we got there. Homemade targets, plastic pop bottles and cans, looked to be a cooler, and lots of steel and brass.

About 20 minutes in a couple of guys came over and asked if they could watch my son and I shoot. They seemed nice but I felt uneasy so I told them we were just finishing up, packed up and left. If they hadn't showed up like they did we would have hauled more of the trash out but the safety of my son was important.

Every trip up there I make it a point to my son that we need to keep places like this clean, and we try to pick up as much as we can before we leave. But today was different. Hopefully or next trip up we can stay out a little longer and shoot more than a full box of ammo!
I've had people wait just up the road to use lane 2, but I've never had anyone ask if they could watch. Seems very sketchy to me, especially considering there isn't that much room at lane 1 or 2 for spectators, definitely not kosher.

Really hard to see in the pics, but yeah, any car that isn't low to the ground should be able to make it, just go very slow and try to ride your tires along the ridges.

I'll be up again in two weeks and I'll get a video of my rig going down to demonstrate how much elevation travel the camera doesn't seem to want to show.

About 20 minutes in a couple of guys came over and asked if they could watch my son and I shoot. They seemed nice but I felt uneasy so I told them we were just finishing up, packed up and left.

I would have done the same thing. I've had plenty of people ask if they can join the lane (lane 3/4) or park and clearly be waiting... but never "watch". I wouldn't be able to give my kid the attention needed around firearms and still be peeking at the strangers who "want to watch".

I'm going to DM you my mobile number, we probably look intimidating (group of 6-7 bearded guys with a table full of guns), but we're a bunch of softies that all have kids and take range safety very seriously (we circle up and remind rules, have full medical gear ready, etc).

You guys would be welcome to join us anytime. :s0155:

Last Edited:
"Donut Guy" here, and I'm sorry about that. We didn't mean to rush you and definitely didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but neither of us had ever been there before and really just wanted to hang back for a while and get a feel for the place. The usual spots we go for camping, practice, fishing and everything else out in the Clackamas area are all mostly closed since the fires. Lane 2 where you were just seemed less "busy" than 1, 3 or 4, and since I hadn't brought any long guns didn't feel like we should have been up at 3 & 4 anyway. Just bought my first handgun earlier this year and need to get more practice time with it, so that was really the focus.

We cleaned up some stuff beyond our own brass and debris, but didn't come as prepared for that as we should have. Should have known better just based on how much the idiots trash up parts of the Clackamas, but again we didn't really know what we were getting into yesterday. Wish we'd had space to haul that dead copier or printer or whatever it was from up at the end of the lane, but with everything else in my buddy's car it just wouldn't fit.

Again, apologies for making you uncomfortable yesterday. Didn't mean to, and I'm truly sorry.

And yes, this is a brand new account. I bounced over from Reddit a couple weeks ago to learn about other places to shoot outside the Clackamas where we've been going for a few years, but didn't feel the need to make an account until now. Hi.

Nice! Glad you found your way here!
Thanks! I've been getting more back into things with firearms lately. I earned my Rifle Shooting merit badge in Scouts, then really let everything slide after that. Heck, my old bolt action .22 is still at my parent's place down in NorCal. I really should remember to bring it home next time I drive down for a visit.

Thanks! I've been getting more back into things with firearms lately. I earned my Rifle Shooting merit badge in Scouts, then really let everything slide after that. Heck, my old bolt action .22 is still at my parent's place down in NorCal. I really should remember to bring it home next time I drive down for a visit.

This ^^ is great. Glad to have you here. Welcome!

I don't shoot out there unless I've been there with a clean-up. I have to drive across potland TWICE, so it's easier if I stay on the east side. It is a great place. IF you can get a spot.

Welcome @Hushdc4 and @tristessa ! Glad you guys came on board. All of us who use these lanes are happy to welcome others who respect what we have there. It takes teamwork to keep this place in good condition and we hope every user contributes in some way.

Keep a 'Watch' on this thread, and click the 'Watch' on the Outdoor Shooting Areas section to hear of places to shoot, cleanups to volunteer for and ways we can help save places to shoot.

Good to have guys like you on this forum.

Bill

"Donut Guy" here, and I'm sorry about that. We didn't mean to rush you and definitely didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but neither of us had ever been there before and really just wanted to hang back for a while and get a feel for the place. The usual spots we go for camping, practice, fishing and everything else out in the Clackamas area are all mostly closed since the fires. Lane 2 where you were just seemed less "busy" than 1, 3 or 4, and since I hadn't brought any long guns didn't feel like we should have been up at 3 & 4 anyway. Just bought my first handgun earlier this year and need to get more practice time with it, so that was really the focus.

We cleaned up some stuff beyond our own brass and debris, but didn't come as prepared for that as we should have. Should have known better just based on how much the idiots trash up parts of the Clackamas, but again we didn't really know what we were getting into yesterday. Wish we'd had space to haul that dead copier or printer or whatever it was from up at the end of the lane, but with everything else in my buddy's car it just wouldn't fit.

Again, apologies for making you uncomfortable yesterday. Didn't mean to, and I'm truly sorry.

And yes, this is a brand new account. I bounced over from Reddit a couple weeks ago to learn about other places to shoot outside the Clackamas where we've been going for a few years, but didn't feel the need to make an account until now.

Hi donut guy. If you two plan on going back out there let me know. I need to put more rounds through my new pistol. And I'll bring donuts!

Hi donut guy. If you two plan on going back out there let me know. I need to put more rounds through my new pistol. And I'll bring donuts!
Will do, but it's probably going to be a while -- I've been waiting on ammunition that I ordered, and with the way things are these days who knows when it will get here. Plus I need to retrieve some of my guns from my parent's place down in NorCal and get them checked over.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top