JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was able to make it up to lane 3 early Friday morning for my version of a May Day observance and was joined by a couple of pairs of fellow May Day observers, one of which waited patently for the lane as to comply with social distancing; fun was had by all despite. There was a substantial amount of crap left behind, but nothing too weird.

641812-485ed746fac2c489a2da8ce59c188334.jpg
641813-cb5af84c9c9aa778e3af2eb6b2d15713.jpg

I was able to clear it all off, but had to leave it by the lane sign since I'm officially laid-off from work and just don't have access to a dumpster anymore.

But the worst discovery by far is what can only be described at an escalation in graffiti.

641814-b8a6e5dde20e955f691587c34bf34c92.jpg
641815-7df68d40d7d977d4d49bd85877e121cb.jpg

I hope to get up to the lanes sometime next week and I'll bring some grey spray paint with me. But it's going to be one hell of a lot of area to cover.

But, I didn't let that spoil my fun . . . and much fun was had . . . :D

641816-300449c2e3c6d325149eb015cc8314f8.jpg

05-01-20-9.JPG 05-01-20-5.JPG 05-01-20-6.JPG 05-01-20-7.JPG 05-01-20-8.JPG

Last Edited:
I was able to make it up to lane 3 early Friday morning for my version of a May Day observance and was joined by a couple of pairs of fellow May Day observers, one of which waited patently for the lane as to comply with social distancing; fun was had by all despite. There was a substantial amount of crap left behind, but nothing too weird.

View attachment 692138
View attachment 692139

I was able to clear it all off, but had to leave it by the lane sign since I'm officially laid-off from work and just don't have access to a dumpster anymore.

But the worst discovery by far is what can only be described at an escalation in graffiti.

View attachment 692140
View attachment 692141

I hope to get up to the lanes sometime next week and I'll bring some grey spray paint with me. But it's going to be one hell of a lot of area to cover.

But, I didn't let that spoil my fun . . . and much fun was had . . . :D

View attachment 692142

View attachment 692133 View attachment 692134 View attachment 692135 View attachment 692136 View attachment 692137
Re the graffiti, what is the purpose of those concrete barriers? Are they to keep poeple from driving in?, a shooting rest/table thing? Just wondering if a person could plant vines or ? on them to keep off the graffiti.

I know lots of places struggle with graffiti that are not remote at all so it's a tough problem. But I have seen every clean looking wall gather graffiti in areas of Portland and ivy covered walls in the same area are never touched. Don't know if plants would interfere with the intended purpose of them though, that's why I ask about purpose.

It's a firing line so everyone shoots from roughly the same distance. It also provides a place to put equipment on and can be used as a rest/table
Prob best then to do something that makes it an irregular, hard to paint surface instead of a flat "canvas". Don't know what that would be at the moment, could be vegetation or man made something attached. If vegetation would have to be thin and low growing strip in front. They do have bamboo that would fit that bill (there are 200 varieties that have max height of 2" to up to 60') but no idea if the low max height variety would grow well there (bamboo garden nursery is close to that area, they might know).
E3587F6D-94AE-463B-9478-D7E563979EBD.jpeg

Maybe angular rock "stuccoed" to the surface of front side? Might not last long enough though. Would be difficult to paint anything recognizable though. But maybe goofballs would still try probably. If it were larger rock like 3-5" (ballast rock) or whatever that would be too small to paint individual rocks but would make a very irregular surface. Just thinking out loud. Vegetation is mostly unpaintable.
D65928C5-2D48-4326-9844-17A6760EB667.jpeg

Thanks for cleaning up the idiot drops, that graffiti is pretty new and really obnoxious, i'm not sure i've seen it that bad before. We've several people here that have in the past graciously hit those barriers with a cleanup/coverup job.

Maybe angular rock "stuccoed" to the surface of front side? Might not last long enough though. Would be difficult to paint anything recognizable though. But maybe goofballs would still try probably. If it were larger rock like 3-5" (ballast rock) or whatever that would be too small to paint individual rocks but would make a very irregular surface.
View attachment 692163
They're not painting it with a brush, this will unfortunately make no odds to them tagging it again, but will make it almost impossible for us to clean it off.

I wonder if there is some sort of oily/greasy coating a person could put on there that would hang around through some rains and make it so paint would barely stick (ie easy to clean off). Would probably have to be eco-friendly though like lard or vegetable based. And not so gooey it would get all over ur clothes. If u have ever tried to paint on an oily surface u know what I mean about hard to get it to stick. Again just thinking out loud. Some oils penetrate into concrete and hang around a long time.

I wonder if there is some sort of oily/greasy coating a person could put on there that would hang around through some rains and make it so paint would barely stick (ie easy to clean off). Would probably have to be eco-friendly though like lard or vegetable based. And not so gooey it would get all over ur clothes. If u have ever tried to paint on an oily surface u know what I mean about hard to get it to stick. Again just thinking out loud.

there are industrial ceramic coating that would work for these applications, but it's EXPENSIVE... :(

here is one for example...

1588462726294.png

there are industrial ceramic coating that would work for these applications, but it's EXPENSIVE... :(

View attachment 692186
And we've come full circle to the origins of our problem, we can't afford Trash No Lands flyers, and are probably already pushing all the various grants to their limits. So far, the only immediate solution is to rely on stewards like ourselves to pitch in as we can. I can afford some grey paint (this time at least) and we'll get that done. But all options are welcome and worth considering.

View attachment 692186
I wonder if that would be any better than a gloss automotive urethane. That stuff is tough and prob easy to get free. I'll have to check but I used to have gallons of that stuff laying around but not sure how much clear coat I have. I painted my last car outside several years ago and the clear is still holding up. But that is of course a perfectly smooth surface which is quite different than concrete. I suppose a person could paint part of the barrier as a test to see if it makes it easy to clean off versus an unpainted part. But that might be getting too anal about it ha ha. 311B35F7-8B5C-4FCC-8AB5-C059F10AECC8.jpeg

Last Edited:
And we've come full circle to the origins of our problem, we can't afford Trash No Lands flyers, and are probably already pushing all the various grants to their limits. So far, the only immediate solution is to rely on stewards like ourselves to pitch in as we can. I can afford some grey paint (this time at least) and we'll get that done. But all options are welcome and worth considering.
Agree. Core of problem imo is do u want it open to responsible shooters only or responsible shooters plus people who are going to trash the place (I.e. irresponsible shooters)? From what I've seen in above posts it seems clear that many want the latter (ie open to all).

I'm not making a judgement about that at all. It is just what I observed in the responses. Keeping it open to all (including irresponsible shooters) keeps people constantly reacting/cleaning up after the irresponsible ones. Active stewardship is critical then for such an open-to-all site but it's no fun I would guess and one would hope that long term we don't lose participation of the guys working so hard to clean up sites like this. I don't use the site so no dog in the fight but I support creating more shooting areas for responsible shooters. The biggest concern I have would be the agency managers. As they retire and new ones come in they may have different tolerances for expending resources or whatever.

I do think the works of COGs, trash no land, and the volunteers of this forum go a long way in influencing those agencies. I think it makes a huge difference, having worked with numerous federal, state, and local govs on similar stuff in the past.

Last Edited:
Siloxane - Sometimes this is specified on projects

Siloxane - Sometimes this is specified on projects
I wonder about several coats of polymer auto wax also (for easier clean off I mean). It's very thin but some of those polymer "sealants" do last a long time. Again maybe need to test several products like oil, wax, paint, etc and see how easy to clean off. I would help with that for sure. Again just ideas. I'm sure I have bulk mineral oil, polymer "wax", and automotive paint laying around, big tub of coconut oil too. No lard! Maybe crisco but I doubt it. Mineral oil can be thinned with mineral spirits to penetrate better if needed.

guys, you think this (5gal/1500 sq-ft) would enough to cover all 4 lanes?

guys, you think this (5gal/1500 sq-ft) would enough to cover all 4 lanes?

That reminds me they make oil based gloss floor paint like for garages etc. that might work also. Oil based and gloss is going to work better than latex. I mean only as alternative if needed to some anti-graffiti coating, not saying it would be better.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top