JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was hoping to get some advice from the experts. I am considering purchasing a rifle from a seller in WA. Question one is does he need to drive to an Oregon FFL to transfer, or can I go to one in WA closer to him? Secondly, if he has to come into Oregon, can someone recommend where to go that is convenient to a seller coming from Woodland?

Advice Appreciated

You can purchase long guns, not handguns in wa as an oregon resident. I did this at a retail place and a private transfer at ffl. Now that I am a wa resident I am not sure as to oregon purchases.

As long as it's done at an ffl either person can go to either state for long guns as you described. Pistols must be done in the buyers home state, but can be transferred ffl-ffl from out of state.

No personal experience in the woodland area for ffl's.

You can purchase long guns, not handguns in wa as an oregon resident. I did this at a retail place and a private transfer at ffl. Now that I am a wa resident I am not sure as to oregon purchases.

This ^^

You can purchase "long guns" (rifles, shotguns), in any state in the USA as long as it is legal in your state of residence and in the state you are purchasing in, as long as you do it through an FFL.

I have done this a number of times for years, both before and after the BGC laws in both states.

Handguns must be shipped/transported to an FFL in your state of residence.

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?
Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

As long as it's done at an ffl either person can go to either state for long guns as you described. Pistols must be done in the buyers home state, but can be transferred ffl-ffl from out of state.

Correct except for the transfer of FFL to FFL.

Any person (FFL or not FFL) can legally ship any firearm to any FFL directly (you must use the correct type of shipment - it differs for handguns).

I have shipped a long gun directly to an FFL in AZ when I resided in WA state - I shipped via US Postal Service (not sure if the USPS still does that, but they do NOT take handguns).

They can also personally transport any firearm to an FFL in another state.

E.G., a person who is a resident of WA state can drive to OR state, transfer a handgun they own to an FFL in OR state who can then in turn transfer that handgun to a resident of OR state. The key here is the FFL transfer. The seller does not need to start with an FFL in their state, but for handguns they must go through an FFL in the buyers state.

Drive to WA and save the OSP fee.

Tropical Pawn has a store right off the I5 and I205 freeways about 10 min into WA.

Last I heard it was a flat $21 to do a transfer and would be about a 20 min drive from someone in woodland.

Just my 2¢.

photo stolen ..........I mean borrowed from seller's posting

image.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR