JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anybody recommend a good county to get a non resident chl. I was supposed to go to grant county tomorow but with the snow at the pass I don't think my car will make it. I would prefer a western Oregon county due to the weather that allows walk ins.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The only county is Grant county in my opinion.

I was turned down (verbally at counter or on phone -never applied to be clear) in SEVERAL (multnomah, hood river, wasco, washington) before getting with Sal @ OFF (Oregon Firearms Federation) and he squared me away with Grant county.

I am a Washington resident with an Oregon CHL now.

I mailed mine in by the way, no need to travel over any pass. CHL arrived in the mail a little over a month after dropping my package off in the mail.

Thanks again Sal @ O.F.F!

Good luck man.

I talked to sheriff palmer he stated I needed to make the trip for the photo and fingerprinting. I'm thinking of driving to Portland then from there heading to canyon city. I really can't afford to have a ccw denial on my record so I'm thinking of just doing that it makes for a 10 hour drive each way.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The photo and printing makes sense, Sal did those things for me. I edited my original post to state that I never filled out an application at the other counties, I was just deferred away by either the counter when I asked or on the phone when I called. Grant County was my first actual application submitted.

I know Columbia and Multnomah will accept non resident applications but neither are walk-in and both require a letter with a "compelling reason". Columbia also requires a WA state CPL.

I've heard Multnomah is alright for nonresidents including a Multnomah County deputy who was teaching an OR CHL class.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm always getting questions from folks looking for non-resident licenses.
Did you all have to prove a "compelling reason" for getting it?

Multnomah Co is not difficult. When they ask for the reason you need it, tell them that when you travel into Oregon with your handgun, you want to comply with the law, but you do not want to leave it in your unoccupied vehicle.
Best,
Gary

I sent my app and letter via usps in the middle of february. Got a letter back about 2 weeks later with an appointment set for today. In between that time I took the 3 hour class in the multnomah county sherrifs office. Went in this morning to pay/get finger printed/get photo taken. Ill know how it went with in 45 days lol every step has been easy, the people have been friendly and the class was easy just long. I liked it though. Applied in multnomah county as well, forgot to specify.

Wasco county I think allows walk-ins, you just want to call and make sure the clerk is in the office. Furthermore, they also requires a mental health release from Washington State saying you are a nut job. But I think that is standard.

M

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads