JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know if an Arizona Resident can purchase long guns from a store in Oregon? I am saving up for a new rifle, looking for an older marlin lever action, and they dont come up much around me, and I will be in Powers working from may-august

this site seems to think so.

<broken link removed>

And correct me if I am wrong, but from my research it seems Oregon residents may only purchase in contiguous states, as the above is referring to an oregon resident purchasing out of state, not a non resident purchasing in oregon

but an Arizona Resident may purchase as a non resident, a firearm from a store? That has always been how it was described to me.

I didn't want to bubblegum-U-ME anything as it was in 92/93 that I purchase a few long guns down in Arizona while at school. I do believe it is a federal law not a state law though.

Same question, looking for a different answer?
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/new-from-arizona-southern-oregon.195833/#post-1259449

"I will be in Powers working from may-august"

ASSUMING you are a USA citizen, and
Your legal residency is Arizona. Arizona law
Prior to your visit to Oregon, arrange with an Arizona FFL to receive your purchase from an out-of-state FFL (get his name, address, phone number for future contact).
While visiting Oregon, find the gun you wish to purchase.
If from an ordinary Oregon citizen, Pay his price, then
Both of you go to an Oregon FFL to transact transfer of ownership.
The Oregon FFL will charge a fee to do the paperwork, and ship the rifle to your Arizona FFL.
You may take possession of your rifle from the Arizona FFL who will charge a fee to do the paperwork.

Same question, looking for a different answer?
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/new-from-arizona-southern-oregon.195833/#post-1259449

"I will be in Powers working from may-august"

ASSUMING you are a USA citizen, and
Your legal residency is Arizona. Arizona law
Prior to your visit to Oregon, arrange with an Arizona FFL to receive your purchase from an out-of-state FFL (get his name, address, phone number for future contact).
While visiting Oregon, find the gun you wish to purchase.
If from an ordinary Oregon citizen, Pay his price, then
Both of you go to an Oregon FFL to transact transfer of ownership.
The Oregon FFL will charge a fee to do the paperwork, and ship the rifle to your Arizona FFL.
You may take possession of your rifle from the Arizona FFL who will charge a fee to do the paperwork.

I just posted it on Legal/Politcal for more insight, I have a buddy who is an FFL here i can send guns too, but after researching both state and federal law, I can purchase a gun from a store in Oregon, just not from private party( UNLESS i send it to an Arizona FFL), I understand how transfers work, done many many many private party both interstate and instate, but usually as the seller. And that was in California.

But what you are mentioning refers to Private party transfers.

Last Edited:
Slips
You can purchase from anyone you want to.
But...
your question related to what was legal and lawful.

You also said purchase from a store.
You also said a new rifle, an older marlin lever action
You also said you're just outta high school, first year in college.
You "understand how transfers work, done many many many private party both interstate and instate, but usually as the seller. And that was in California"

I think you are a troll

My understanding is that the contiguous state restriction for long guns has gone away and that yes, you can purchase a long gun via an FFL, in person (over the counter), as long as the purchase is otherwise legal in the state you are buying in.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-resident

a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee's business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

Slips
You can purchase from anyone you want to.
But...
your question related to what was legal and lawful.

You also said purchase from a store.
You also said a new rifle, an older marlin lever action
You also said you're just outta high school, first year in college.
You "understand how transfers work, done many many many private party both interstate and instate, but usually as the seller. And that was in California"

I think you are a troll

Think what you want pal, Im not sure where your going with this, and the contiguous state purchase only applies or did apply (if previous poster is correct) to Oregon residents, I am not an Oregon resident, you simply seem to be looking to pick a bone with me. I am in college yes and young, but i am not stupid, I have hitch-hiked the entire western united states before I was 18, restored firearms and worked for a gunsmith hobbyist, worked on farms and for the forest service before I came to school here in Arizona and continue to do so, I have sold multiples of rifles to out of state people when I lived in California, now I live in Arizona and have done multiple private party purchases, I understand how federal transfers work, I am not sure where your listing is going, you seem to be nit picking things I have said, is not an old rifle i just bought, a new rifle to me? (rhetorical question by the way) I work for the federal government I understand how things can be misinterpreted in their laws, both by FFL dealers and LEO's, i figured id ask people who live in the region what they know, you merely quoted a law on what Oregon residents can do, not what I was asking, then proceeded to antagonize me, if anything, you sir, are trolling my thread. I suggest you find something better to do as I dont feel I have any reason to defend myself against you.

In order to purchase a handgun, legally from a FFL dealer, you must be a resident of the state where you are picking up the handgun (completing the background check and taking physical possession of the handgun).

Long guns are a different story. The FFL dealer must ensure that the transfer is legal in the state where the transfer is taking place, also they must ensure that the transfer is legal in the state where the purchaser resides.

In your case, it is legal for an Oregon FFL to sell a long gun directly to a resident of any state, the question is this... is it legal for an Arizona resident to purchase a long gun in another state?

By the way, it is legal for you as a resident of Arizona to purchase a long gun from an Oregon FFL dealer, but jeez! don't take my word for it or any of the other possible idiots on the internets.

Do your homework and find out exactly what the laws in YOUR state are...;)

To put it simply, as of this moment (subject to change of course):

Residents of Oregon can only buy long guns from an FFL in an contiguous state. (Idaho, Nevada or Washington. California law says NO!)

Residents of other states can buy longs guns from an FFL in Oregon, as long as it is legal in their state. (NOT OK for CA, CO, DE, IL, MD, NY, and OH.)

On Principle I will Not buy a USED gun from a private party that wants to go into a gun store to transfer when the "LAW" is infringing on my right to buy one OR sell one without the BULLSHE-IT., To ME an drivers license and a quick check is all that is needed. So, Nevada or some other Reasonable state will get my gun money.

Good luck with your sale though. Boquist, Burdick, Prozanski and the rest can kiss my Big Hairy Butt.

So i posted my rifle on here an i have a buyer from washington that is willing to purchase , can i sell this to him if we do a transfer at a local gun shop??
Yes. He can come to an Oregon FFL or you can go to a Washington FFL. Either way is legal, but for rifles and shotguns only, NOT handguns.
Edited to correct it per @wired 's later post. Thanks for pointing that out!!

Last Edited:
On Principle I will Not buy a USED gun from a private party that wants to go into a gun store to transfer when the "LAW" is infringing on my right to buy one OR sell one without the BULLSHE-IT., To ME an drivers license and a quick check is all that is needed. So, Nevada or some other Reasonable state will get my gun money.

Good luck with your sale though. Boquist, Burdick, Prozanski and the rest can kiss my Big Hairy Butt.

I agree with you,however-I believe Nevada now has the same private sale background check requirement as WA and OR do.
Which is why it is now on my "do not move to" list.Shame,I love N.Nevada..

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top