JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The contiguous state thing went away in the 80's with the GOPA .

You can buy a long gun in another state from a dealer ( unless your residency is California ) . Thats it. Any other combination of circumstances will not be legal under federal law..

If you buy a gun from someone in another state or sell to someone in another state you have to go through a dealer so you are actually buying from the dealer.

Yes. He can come to an Oregon FFL or you can go to a Washington FFL. Either way is legal, but for rifles and shotguns only, NOT handguns.

If going through an FFL you can transfer handguns. If you live in Oregon and want to sell a handgun to a individual in Washington you can drive across the border ( or send by common carrier i.e UPS etc ) and hand it to an FFL dealer who can transfer it t the buyer. Its direct party to party transfers of handguns that are not legal under federal law . Going through a dealer changes all of that.

If going through an FFL you can transfer handguns. If you live in Oregon and want to sell a handgun to a individual in Washington you can drive across the border ( or send by common carrier i.e UPS etc ) and hand it to an FFL dealer who can transfer it t the buyer. Its direct party to party transfers of handguns that are not legal under federal law . Going through a dealer changes all of that.
Fixed my post!! Thanks!!

Just move to Oregon. Arizona is too hot. Then you've got no problems a set of Frog Toggs won't cure.
Those of us who have metal in our body prefer the hot weather. I'm fused C3-T4 with an upper spine x-ray that could be used as a cameo in The Terminator franchise. I tried living in Oregon for four weeks in 2018. Hated the rainy weather. I had to take more oxycodone just to get out of bed. Trust me, you suffer from human walking barometer syndrome from having metal grafted to your your body as I have. I can feel the weather in my neck, shoulders upper back and upper arms.

Lack of indoor ranges. If it rains most of the year there, why don't you have more indoor ranges? The one that's in Salem is expensive in comparison to what I pay in Vegas plus we have competition in Vegas with several indoor ranges.

The other reason I hate Oregon is because of the State income tax; 3rd highest in the USA. It use to be second until Hawaii bumped up their State income tax rate. If you live on a fixed (retirement) income such a I do, you hate Oregon sticking their snoot in your wallet. The other reason I hate Oregon is the higher cost of living which is 25% more than southern Nevada.

The only benefit to living in Oregon is shall issue CCW with few prohibited areas similar to Utah, no sales tax and you can shoot on your own land if it's outside the urban growth boundary. However much of that land is zoned EFU (exclusive farm use).

I agree with you,however-I believe Nevada now has the same private sale background check requirement as WA and OR do.
Which is why it is now on my "do not move to" list.Shame,I love N.Nevada..
All FFL purchases require a background check per the Brady Act. Private background checks weren't enacted in NV until Jan 2, 2020.

However, if you have a Nevada CFP which is NICS exempt, the background check is waived as our CCW is NICS exempt. There are some people who only have a NV CFP just for the NICS exemption. NV is one of the most expensive States for a NICS check at $25 a pop. Five FFL transactions for the term of your renewal CFP will pay for the class (at $50) plus the renewal CFP fee.

I still don't get why Oregon hasn't made their CHL NICS exempt. I'm guessing it's from the same State politicians who keep blocking OR reciprocity and recognition of other States CCWs. It irritates me because someone with an OR CHL can CCW in NV, but a NV CFP holder can't CCW in OR.

If the transfer is done in a 2A sanctuary county, the county sheriff has stated they will not enforce private party NICS checks.
Ironically these are also the same counties that have legal brothels.

Last Edited:
A purchase and actually taking possession.......are different animals.

*Laws vary from State to State and even City to City. That being said....

GENERALLY.....
The Fed Law allows for an adjoining state purchase/transfer of long guns. As long as the laws of BOTH states are followed.

However, to take actual possession.....sometimes....it is *required that the transfer take place in your home State through an FFL.

See above about Laws Vary.

Aloha, Mark

PS....and military personnel (on orders living in another state) are (can/could be) treated differently again.

+++++++++++++++

The stupidness of it all. EXAMPLE:
I am a WA resident. So...speaking only of long guns (say a Mauser 98k bolt action rifle). I can purchase the Mauser (long gun) in OR. The OR FFL will run my BGC through the OR authorities. The BGC comes back and I'm GTG. So, I proceed to take it back home to WA (that day, if I'm lucky enough to clear the BGC in time).

BGC? Yeah.....even though this is my _x__th firearm that I'm adding to my collection. I bet the Govt. and the Liberals, feel soooo good. Or they never read the part where it says......

"......shall not be infringed."

But What If......it were an OR resident buying in WA?

HA, Ha, ha......Rrrrright.....that BGC ain't coming back until Hell Freezes over.

And....throw in the "What IF".....it were an AR15 (or even a Ruger 10/22)? LOL. Rrrright.......HA, Ha, ha......this is all just way too funny.

Last Edited:
When the _ _ _ _ hits the fan, all bets and BGC are off. There won't be any laws that most people will live by. It goes back to that old saying, "I'd rather be judged by12 then be carried by 6".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top