JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please accept my apologies for hijacking this thread... I guess I don't think it is my place to start a thread on Northwest Firearms encouraging people to leave the Northwest.. I just tried to briefly to throw it out there and didn't even mean for the conversation to become as long as it was... That is why I just told people to PM me.. I will leave it at that.
The Missus and I thought Cortez, CO was a nice town. We were just passing through at the time but the location and size seemed good to us. Also like what I've heard of Colorado Springs. Perhaps a good place to retire someday.

Had some good beer at Boulder Brewing a few years back (Mojo IPA!) but would never consider Boulder, even if I could afford it. My impression of Colorado is a lot like most states: the further you are from the large population centers, the better.

Live by the ballot measure, die by the ballot measure.

The same people touting the victory of the "Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance" in Oregon are the same people decrying Initiative 1639.

You can't have it both ways.

The Missus and I thought Cortez, CO was a nice town. We were just passing through at the time but the location and size seemed good to us. Also like what I've heard of Colorado Springs. Perhaps a good place to retire someday.

Had some good beer at Boulder Brewing a few years back (Mojo IPA!) but would never consider Boulder, even if I could afford it. My impression of Colorado is a lot like most states: the further you are from the large population centers, the better.
Glad to hear you had a nice trip through Colorado. The state is so diverse in its geography and culture that it can literally be its own country. I do love Boulder Brewing, but if you ever do go through Boulder, take a stop right outside the city to Avery brewing which produces a lot of barrel aged beers that are as high as 20%ABV!! It is one of my favorite breweries anywhere. And, yes, do not live in Boulder! Avoid it at all costs, as it has become a refuge for many Bay Area people. Most of the people in Boulder transplanted from SF Bay Area for Boulder's thriving IT industry.

Anyhow, there are so many great places to live in Colorado. Many mountain towns like Cortez. There are places like Leadville, Plummer, Durango, Parachute, Gunnison etc. I am discovering all types of cool mountain towns even right next to me in the Denver area that are literally within an hour drive to Denver, but feel like a world away. Colorado Springs is a really nice city I hear and I have yet to visit, but it's right against the Garden of the Gods and has some really amazing scenery surrounding the entire city.

In reality, you do not have to live that far from Denver to be in a more sane environment. As soon as you get out of Denver city limits the area feels so much more conservative than in the metros of Seattle/PDX. I don't know how to describe it but there just isn't the super radical liberal fanaticism here as I experienced in the Northwest. Suburbs in Denver feel very Middle America like to me and do seem to share a mix of cultures. For example, even in the city limits of Denver you see a fraction of the "Black Lives Matter", "Celebrate Diversity", "Co-Exist" and other liberal propaganda signs/stickers you see in Portland and Seattle.

I just moved to Colorado about a month ago myself and still learning my way around. I've done a considerable amount of research of the area.. If you and your wife ever decide to want to move down here send me a PM and I can assist you in every way possible. If you ever make your way down here again stop and say hello and let's meet for a beer.

Last Edited:
Good question.
The law allows possession of pistols and "semi-automatic assault rifles" by those under 21 within their home, place of business, or any real property they own, and allows possession while transporting between the above. So they cannot buy them, but they can own them, but they cannot possess them outside of their property, such as at a shooting range or for hunting. Of course, we all know semi-autos are never, ever, ever used for hunting or target shooting, right?

Since this will need to be fought in the courts, I started a go-fund-me page to help fund the fight. I encourage people from everywhere to do what you can to help raise some $$ to fight this in the courts. This isn't just a one state battle, it's a National battle!

I threw some $ into it because I'm willing to put my $ where my mouth is. Everything collected will 1st be going to Washington based organizations that take 1639 to the courts. SAF & CCRKBA are two of those I believe need funding. If I'm wrong, just tell me!

The reality is this needs to be stopped here and now in the courts. If you believe these anti-gun groups are going to stop here, you're gravely mistaken. They WILL take it to every other state they can. This go-fund-me battle needs support from everyone located everywhere.

Let's raise some $ to take the fight to the courts.

Dan

^^THIS

The general opinion through the country is that firearms are bad, and nobody actually NEEDS one for any legitimate reason. As more states pass more restrictive laws, it will reinforce those beliefs that this is something everybody wants. Extreme risk protection orders (lose your 2A rights because you are creepy, but haven't actually done anything yet) are a good example, as is the legalization of marijuana. Its only a matter of time before ERPO's are commonplace in every state and everybody has a retail marijuana shop in their hometown (Not a big deal to me as I don't see marijuana as a hazard any worse than alcohol, and maybe even less so.).

I fear nothing will really move in the courts unless somebody's rights are violated first. I don't know that the law can be challenged on the potential to violate rights, but rather only after it has actually violated rights. We may have to wait until it goes into effect to have any chance at overturning it.

They could have had a fight on their hands, this time.

All the rhetorical signs in the world wont make a difference if the voters wont get off their azz and actually vote.

45% of the registered voters actually voted. But I'll bet the folks who didn't vote are blaming everybody else that this measure passed.

45% of the registered voters actually voted. But I'll bet the folks who didn't vote are blaming everybody else that this measure passed.

This and they are the ones that are bubbleguming the loudest. If it came to taking up arms to actually do something you would get less than 15% of the ones who voted no.

Real gun owners have stood our ground...

I recall a line in a song...

'''you fight and you were right, but they were just too strong"

That's where we are, as 'real' gun owners. We just need to get the rest of conservatives/Republicans to realize that gun rights are a bellwether for ALL constitutional/conservative ideals.

Do not trust a government that doesn't trust you.

I just listened to Alan Gotleib-SAF on the Lars Larsen Show. He said that SAF will be filling a law suit against this "measure" within about 2 weeks. Additionally Alan stated that several of the measures in the abomination will only be legally contested when someone is arrested for violation of same. What I heard of the discussion between Alan and Lars would lead me to believe that a measure prohibited firearm could be bought out of state and shipped to your local gun store and that firearm would NOT be counted against anyone and its ownership would NOT be in violation of the measure [who's name will not be spoken]. Getting to be a funny world out there gang. Anyone up for a road trip to Idaho for a shopping trip? Happy I bought my new pistola yesterday! Pops

For people who are looking to solve the immediate problem of how to evade the law, I would suggest a more important thing to do would be to send some dollars to SAF, even if the amount is small. I called them today to donate the money and also asked them to stop paying US Postal Service to deliver envelopes stuffed full of newsletters and solicitations to me, but to just spend the money on lawyers.

Criminals win.
Back in 1994 Oregon Decided to outlaw hunting big cats with dogs. Well guess what there dealing with now? A lot of big cats encroaching on suburbia.

Libs are there very own worst enemies

Real gun owners have stood our ground...

I recall a line in a song...

'''you fight and you were right, but they were just too strong"

That's where we are, as 'real' gun owners. We just need to get the rest of conservatives/Republicans to realize that gun rights are a bellwether for ALL constitutional/conservative ideals.

Do not trust a government that doesn't trust you.
I
This and they are the ones that are bubbleguming the loudest. If it came to taking up arms to actually do something you would get less than 15% of the ones who voted no.

I voted!

Now sessions is out. The standing person to back fill him for the time being, the libs are demanding he recuse himself ASAP! Sessions just resigned this afternoon. Sorry folks, but I see bad sheeet coming in the goverment. Useless bad humans.

I've been predicting that we will be shooting at each other within 5 years.

All of this has to come to a head at some point.

What finally causes the boil over is anyone's guess... but I agree it will get worse before it gets better

Re. the passage of I-1639. I don't have any science to back this up, but I don't think the blame can by laid at the doorstep of non-voting gun owners. There are just too many liberal anti-gunners, but worse, the vote was really decided by that big bubble of voters in the middle. Those who don't own or use guns, and just accept the notion that the initiative was just one more "common sense" measure that would make life more safe.

I sure get tired of being a lost cause voter. I nearly always vote against spending measures; those always pass. I nearly always vote GOP, my candidates always lose. Do I even need to mention anti-gun initiatives?

I don't have a crystal ball, but I foresee I-1639 greatly stifling the sale of semi-automatic rifles in Wash. Unless a person is really determined, they won't bother with the requirements. Of course, that is the intention of the measure. To discourage ALL gun use. The liberal millionaires who pushed this no doubt are gloating and will be back two years from now with another anti-gun proposal.

Buying/selling semi-auto rifles (even your Remington Nylon 66) will fall right off a cliff at gun shows. The additional paperwork will stifle, but worse, the 10 day wait will really put the brakes on.

It was pretty clever of the anti-gun millionaires to write the measure up they way they did, calling all semi-autos assault rifles. That's how it reads. That way, they avoided all the to and fro of defining what an assault rifle is like has been going on in California for many years. So now Washington state has the distinction of having a law more restrictive than California. Oh boy. Next time around, Wash. will probably be caught up with some kind of ammo restriction along the lines of California.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top