JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who needs defense when your already part of the regime.

sitting 2 floors under ground downtown Portland waiting for the big azz earthquake to knock my building over. It would be nice if disaster relief folks were still around

I could be wrong about this but I thought I read that any citizen militia in Oregon is prohibited where Oregon has an official State Militia.

I could be wrong about this but I thought I read that any citizen militia in Oregon is prohibited where Oregon has an official State Militia.

That prohibition is just preventing someone from aligning with any group other than the state's own militia, since they are already a component of, and obligated to serving, the state:

The ORS is saying that everyone who is 18-45, and an Oregon state citizen or who intends to be, who is not in the state organized militia is ALREADY a member of the state's unorganized militia.

"...The unorganized militia shall consist of all able-bodied residents of the state between the ages of 18 and 45 who are not serving in any force of the organized militia or who are not on the state retired list and who are or who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States; subject, however, to such exemptions from military duty as are created by the laws of the United States. [1961 c.454 §5(1),(2),(3); 1989 c.361 §2; 2005 c.512 §3]" -- http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/396.105

and then "... (1)Whenever the Governor deems it necessary, the Governor may direct the members of the unorganized militia to present themselves for and submit to registration at such time and place and in such manner as may be prescribed by military department regulations issued pursuant to this chapter and ORS chapters 398 and 399.

(2)Any member of the unorganized militia who is ordered to register under the provisions of this section or to be drafted into the organized militia under ORS 396.135 (Militia call by United States), and who fails to appear at the time and place designated in such order, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. [1961 c.454 §17]..."
-- http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/396.140

How can the Governor place charges on someone who is not already subject to the orders of the governor? ;-)

One of the duties of the State Militia is law enforcement. However, since there is no base of operations the members live at home and are called as needed. This being the case I would assume that it is necessary for them to be in possession of firearms. Does anyone smell a rat here? Oregon is also required by statute to keep an unorganized militia comprised of every able bodied person between the ages of 18 and 45 which can be drafted into the organized militia at any time (by the governor.) The Governor is the supreme Commander In Chief of the Oregon Military so she has the power to mothball the organized militia. When the law was passed they probably didn't envision a progressive liberal bisexual female Commander In Chief.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top