JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What bizarre reality do we live in where whack job politicians refer to actual victims as killers, and actual dirt bag criminals a victim?
Read it again. While he IS referring to the VICTIM as a 'killer' the 'victim' is the law abiding citizen - not the criminal (defendant).

requiring the killer to prove self-defense when the defendant has deprived the victim of their life and voice.

Ditto this!

I can only imagine what this guy was like to be around - if only on a drill weekend or summer camp. He was probably a self-righteous virtue signaling numb-nut that most likely irritated everybody.
p4_snapshot_00.19.46_%255B2017.07.21_04.55.56%255D.png

It's interesting to me that he makes a comparison to mental illness as a defense:

"A defendant who pleads insanity must prove it, while an admitted killer who is mentally competent must prove nothing."

Needlessly inflammatory language aside, I think the inconsistency he points out is valid. But he completely ignores the alternate solution: how about we also put the burden of proof of a defendant's fitness to stand trial on the state? Bam, inconsistency resolved. Now we get to retain the standard of innocent until proven guilty, and all cases of "Yes I shot someone but here's why" are resolved the same way - the state must prove a crime occurred and that there was no justification for it.

This is just political grandstanding. I'll eat my hat if something this radical gets passed during the short session. We'll need to keep an eye out in the 2023 long session though.

So it's better to let yourself, your family members to be knifed, clubbed, shot, etc, in your home, than to actually defend yourself and your family. Because we all know the justice system will deal with the poor, misunderstood criminal/"but he's mentally ill!", appropriately after you and your family is dead. On the assumption that they even are able to apprehend the killer.

After discussing this with a coworker, we don't have the castle doctrine here. So I'm inclined to think this is really no change at all. I mean, come on, this is Oregon we're talking about.

Something occurred to me while thinking about this thread - I wonder IF this guy will take it to the next level and move onto an anti-gun or gun control position.
You know he will. Once you take that first step down the Dark Path... never forget that longtime Brady leader Paul Helmke was a "conservative Republican"*snort* while mayor of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Something occurred to me while thinking about this thread - I wonder IF this guy will take it to the next level and move onto an anti-gun or gun control position.
anti-self defense is worse than anti gun. You can pretty much guess where this guys position is on gun rights.

How did this clown get elected to represent House District 11 ?
I used to recognize that area east and north of Eugene as fairly conservative. I guess I'll have to correct that assumption.
The reasoning and thought that he does not express is that, in the case of an untrue self defense claim, many times the claim does not align with the physical evidence.
One more point to prove it's idiots running the government.
They thought a 27 year Military guy would be a little more conservative. Most of the time in the Zoomie Air Guard which typically is not 'boots on the ground' (Though Forward Air Controllers and PJ's are exceptions) so I don't think he has any real perspective.

Mr. Wilde,

You wrote and prepose "We can better nurture the rule of law and protect victims by requiring that the defense prove their case. For the 2022 short session, I will submit a bill to the House Judiciary Committee that will rebalance the law, requiring the killer to prove self-defense when the defendant has deprived the victim of their life and voice. Self-defense will remain a valid justification, but only when proven by a preponderance of the evidence."

That is lunacy and contrary to the Constitution you pledged your life and service to as essentially you are also proposing that a home owner prove he was in fear of his life in his/her very own home when confronting and killing a home intruder. You are requiring a citizen assaulted on the street by a criminal thug that they had no choice but to kill the thug rather than running. You are trying to require that a person in their vehicle to prove they acted legally for shooting a thug that just stuck a knife or gun in their face trying to steal their vehicle.

I am ashamed that you are a veteran, but I'm very grateful I never had to serve either with you for for you as you sir are a blindingly foolish person. You sir are a part of the problem and not hardly a piece of the solution. You sir are a worthless oxygen thief and I'm also ashamed of the ignorant citizens that voted for you. You are trying to protect criminals, thugs, and terrorists from paying the price of anti-social and reprehensible behavior and changing the very spirit of our state and federal constitutions. Hopefully this will be your only term in office as you sir are anti-American and anti-constitutional but are an apologist for criminal behavior. I have no further words for you as they are very impolite.

Most sincerely,

SFC eb in oregon, US Army (retired)

i emailed him a few days ago, asking wtf.. he actually replied and it seemed like he might actually offer some kind of rationale for his proposal.. politely went back and forth a couple times and then he stopped responding. without ever really answering any of my questions. im not entirely sure he actually has any answers to give

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top