Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

No iron sights on Benjamin Marauders? Edit: more generically, looking for a PCP rifle

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by turner, Jan 27, 2016.

1. turner

turner Portland, Oregon New Member

I was thinking of getting a .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder but they don't seem to have iron sights. I googled around and it sounds like you might be able to clamp something on the back, but you'd have to make something for the front...I was surprised. Is there an option?

As I write this, I realize I could use some more generic advice. I'm not in love with the Benjamin Marauder -- I was mostly looking at it because it seems quiet. So, with that in mind, is there a better option for something that is PCP (because quiet), .22, has iron sights but the ability to mount a scope, and is good quality? I don't have a hard budget, so I'm open to suggestions, but there seems like a lot of options around $500 which I was looking at (also looking at the hand pumps and such).

I own other firearms but have never owned an air rifle so any advice you have is welcome. Thanks!

2. rbrower

rbrower Boise, ID New Member

I have had a Benjamin Maurader for about 10 years now and love mine. I was like you, at first. Why put a scope on an air rifle? I did (cheap UTG) and it's my most consistent shooting lead launcher. I have several other lead launcher's, but this is my favorite and has certainly killed more animals. At 40 yards, I can stack pellets on anything I shoot. I consistently make head shots on birds and rodents. I loaned it to a friend who took out a bobcat. Another friend lives in a subdivision in Marin County and was so inspired that he got one. He shoots in his backyard without anyone knowing (the rapport of the round hitting your target is likely more noise than the shot itself). His only complaint is that at his 30 yard range, it's boring to hit primers from bullet casings.

I am wanting to play with some of the modifications I see other people doing to them (probably going to mess up a good thing). I've had my rifle taken apart for a few weeks now and will likely put it back together without finishing the job just so I can go shoot.

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

4. rbrower

rbrower Boise, ID New Member

I forgot about the Discovery. Another friend was inspired by my Maurader and ended up going with the Discovery because it weighed less. It was considerably louder but he made or bought a sound suppressor for it which has it at an approximately equal level. Trigger isn't nearly as good but maybe it could be tuned or replaced.

etrain16 likes this.
  5. turner

turner Portland, Oregon New Member

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Discovery but shied away due to the increased noise (and I'm too nervous about the legal grey area to try to make a suppressor).

I'm still leaning towards the marauder with a scope, like you did rbrower, although I might play with a 3d printer to try to get some sights on it.

6. Fishnutz

Fishnutz Hillsboro Member

If iron sights aren't a deal breaker, check out the maurader pistol. Feather light! I've got one and love it! Has a built in shroud for a nice neighborhood friendly report, came with a carbine stock and a decent red dot. The 2-stage fully adjustable trigger is very nice! Keep an eye out for the realtree ones. I was lucky enough to get the woods walker edition at a great price too. Perfect for dispatching annoying squirrels while in a tree stand bow hunting. (Don't tell me I'm the only one to attempt to drop squirrels while bow hunting?)

image.jpeg [/QUOTE]
    (Photo credit goes to crossman.com)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  7. jsparks747

jsparks747 Portland, Or Active Member

(Photo credit goes to crossman.com)[/QUOTE]
    You're not.:s0007: