Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

No Bullets ;-( Where can you guy linotype lead for casting?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TheGameMaster, Mar 23, 2013.

1. TheGameMaster

TheGameMaster Portland, OR Member

Title says it all. I'm going to have to start casting. So, where does one get good lead around Portland?

Rodney

2. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

8 pounds of 50/50 tin/lead solder with 92 pounds of soft lead will give you 100 pounds of perfect 96% lead/4% tin mix.

3. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

RENCORP on the site here was selling lead. I read an article claiming most linotype lead was not actually linotype lead but tire weights instead, since most of the linotype presses disappeared long ago.

4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

If you strike out locally, a company named Roto Metals in the SF area has all kinds of bullet casting lead. Different hardness, as well as pure lead, and other alloying metals. They ship free on most orders of $99 pr more.

Casting Bullet Alloys from Rotometals

5. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

6. padd54

padd54 Central Oregon/Cascades Active Member

I want to start asting but know very little. Which alloy mix should I get for 9mm, 38sp/357mag?

7. TheGameMaster

TheGameMaster Portland, OR Member

I emailed all the big scrap yards in the region, and they all sell in lots of 1000 pounds or more. Yikes! I just want to make bullets not dumb bells. I've seen some on ebay for around $2 a pound once you include shipping, but it does have the advantage of being clean and fluxed already for you. The going rate for pure lead is $1 a pound roughly on the commodities market today. What about the ranges around here? What do they do with their range lead?

Rodney

8. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Craigs list is a good source for tire weights or soft lead. Going rate is $1.00-1.50/lb.

4% tin/96% lead is a good alloy for casting bullets including 38/357.

Drop into water from mold for additional hardness.

9. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

I sold some of mine here recently. I'll check to see how much I have left and might sell a little more. I have both real linotype and WW lead.

10. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

ebay too

11. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

I have range lead available. It has not been smelted yet. I will be willing to sell my lead for .50 cents per lb. There will be a minimum purchase of 100 lbs. and you must come to me. I am located in salem, or. Feel free to IM. Im not sure how long I will have this lead. I am considering scrapping my entire quantity.

12. Puddin99

Puddin99 Scappoose, OR Member

There are so many factors. Bullet type, fit of bullet in barrel, how hot you will load, crimping, etc.

Those who want to learn about casting should go here. There is a lot to read. Also tons of videos on youtube about procedure.
    Cast Boolits