JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The report in PDF format, released in December, 2018:
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...Catastrophic Power Outage Study_508 FINAL.pdf

snippets:

The risk posed by a catastrophic power outage, however, is not simply a bigger, stronger storm. It is something that could paralyze entire regions, with grave implications for the nation's economic and social well-being. The NIAC was tasked to examine the nation's ability to withstand a catastrophic power outage of a magnitude beyond modern experience, exceeding prior events in severity, scale, duration, and consequence.

The NIAC was challenged to think beyond even our most severe power disruptions, imagining an outage that stretches beyond days and weeks to months or years, and affects large swaths of the country. Unlike severe weather disasters, a catastrophic power outage may occur with little or no notice and result from myriad types of scenarios: for example, a sophisticated cyber-physical attack resulting in severe physical infrastructure damage; attacks timed to follow and exacerbate a major natural disaster; a large-scale wildfire, earthquake, or geomagnetic event; or a series of attacks or events over a short period of time that compound to create significant physical damage to our nation's infrastructure. An event of this severity may also be an act of war, requiring a simultaneous military response that further draws upon limited resources.

The NIAC found that our existing plans, response resources, and coordination strategies would be outmatched by an event of this severity. Significant action is needed to prepare for a catastrophic power outage that could last for weeks or months.

Well I can tell you this from experience.
I lost power to my house last year for 2 days.
It was actually fun and a learning experience.
We lived on some can good and where able to buy Ice to keep some stuff .but we had to use BBQ and cook stuff outside .
Lucky I do the half @$$ prepping .
So I had flashlight and candles and stuff like that.
My advice to every one out there .
Maybe for a few days a year .
You should shut the power off to your house.
It will give you a good idea of what you need

PS I had to throw away some stuff from the freezer.
I need a generator

Well I can tell you this from experience.
I lost power to my house last year for 2 days.
It was actually fun and a learning experience.
We lived on some can good and where able to buy Ice to keep some stuff .but we had to use BBQ and cook stuff outside .
Lucky I do the half @$$ prepping .
So I had flashlight and candles and stuff like that.
My advice to every one out there .
Maybe for a few days a year .
You should shut the power off to your house.
It will give you a good idea of what you need

PS I had to throw away some stuff from the freezer.
I need a generator
as long as the beer stays cold

I had a tree limb rubbing on my main wire.
And it rubbed through the insulation.
And when I bought a new washer and dryer.
And plugged them in

BAM BAM AND BAM .
lol fried microwave coffee pot DVD player.
Refrigerator..
And all the light bulbs and anything else that was not plugged into a surge protectors

The longest our house was without power for three and a half days. We were in Las Vegas at the time and did not know anything was wrong until my next door neighbor called. The fence blew down between our homes. When we got back in town we threw everything out in the refrigerator/freezer in the kitchen and everything in the freezer in the garage.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top