JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Time for a new ar something bigger then 556 and not as heavy as a 308 so I'm looking at the 300aac and 6.8spc I will be using it for target shooing about 250ish yards and maybe deer hunting this year.

So I know AAC is just new barrel and all regular 556 parts work

6.8 need barrel bolt and mags

Ammo is about the same price and if I want to suppress it AAC is better choice but other then that idk which one is better so would like to here from ppl that have one or both and tell me which one I like and y
Thanks

U two that have said 300 do u happen to own one? If so how's it shoot?

I have not shot a .300AAC yet but i did a lot of research between the .300AAC and the 6.8 spc

and based on my reading I chose the 6.8 spc for this reason I would be using it for target shooing about 250ish yards and western deer hunting.

but this is just my opinion based my research and its worth at least 2 cents.

And i love my 6.8spc i got a stag and its a tack driving carbine.

For your application it sounds like the 6.8 will serve best due to your range and usage requirements. It's on my semi-short list of uppers to acquire.

I went with a 300blk sbr because I wanted a 100yd deer gun and suppressed range toy. I couldn't be happier.

6.8 for hunting has become a very popular round. Check out 68forums dot com for info. on the 6.8 SPC and comparisons between 6.8 SPC and 300 BLK. My recommendation for your intend use is the 6.8. The top manufacturers IMO are Wilson, Noveske, Bison. I have a Wilson barrel and am very satisfied with the accuracy and quality. Bill Wilson is heavy into hunting with the 6.8 for the last several years. Here's the link for Wilson's <broken link removed>

I said 100yds because I'd like to have a 1000ft-lbs due to my current abilities and where I'll be hunting. However I see no reason to stretch that past 200yds. 300blk has greater range than people give it credit for. I'll only be plinking with subs for a while and those do have some drop after 100yds. I figure a 110gr hunting round should do the trick out to 200yds.

I really like the Spikes Tactical 300 upper/SBR; with the back order policy it is an unknown when it would ever show up. This one, suppressor needed of course; <broken link removed>

Maybe an AAC 7 or a Liberty Mystic; anything narrower than 1.6" in diameter.

I have owned both the 300BLK and 6.8spc, shot them both quite a bit last summer.

The 300BLK is a great gun for suppressed shooting and hunting out to about 200 yards, although better rounds are coming out all the time to stretch this a bit.

The 6.8spc is a really efficient round that works great in barrels from 12-18" with 16" being just about perfect for optimizing the cartridge.

After shooting and reloading for both for a few months I had to finally get rid of one of the uppers (both Noveske) and decided to keep the 6.8 for my intended use of hunting out to 300-350 yards. While I loved the 300BLK and have kept the reloading gear for a future SBR, it just did not perform at the distances I wanted.

The 6.8 upper that I have has shot sub-moa 5 shot groups at 300 yards with the best so far being 2.7". That was with very limited load development and shooting 100gr Nosler Accubond bullets.

I hunted with the 6.8 last year and absolutely loved how compact it was, plus I ended up killing a coyote at 360 yards with one shot. Didn't get a deer but plan on taking it back this coming fall.

I will buy another 300BLK possibly even this year, but plan on waiting until I either move to Oregon or Washington passes a SBR law.

With the reasons provided, the 6.8 SPC may serve you better than the .300 BLK. However, there are a multitude of factors that could change it...

Personally I'm building a .300 BLK due to a few key factors:

1) Everything except the barrel (and things directly attached to it such as the muzzle device, gas tube, gas block) is interchangable with my 5.56 setup.
2) I own a .30-06 rifle, and I can use the same bullets when reloading for both the .300 BLK and .30-06 rifle in a pinch.
3) If I want to, I can simply change magazines from supersonic to subsonic ammo, install a can, and I got a quiet little rifle.

.300 BLK isn't just for SBRs as most people like to simplify it is. .300 BLK out of a 16" barrel running supersonic ammo is a nice weapon system. It also does very well at short-barrel applications running subsonic ammo and a surpressor. Because of this, there are compromises that affect the weapon system across the spectrum. There's individual weapon systems that do better at each end (6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel on the long range, .458 SOCOM on the surpressed, for example), but it's hard to match across the range (from sub- to super-sonic) as the .300 BLK does if you want the option of choosing how you want to run.

Understanding these compromises and knowing your needs, you can make an informed decision on what's right for you. I wish you the best of luck, and may you find the right cartridge for you. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top