JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This will be my first year hunting elk and I am more than excited. The season is only a week long in the cascades region, and I would love to fill my bull elk tag.

The first question is that am I correct in thinking that come the 14th, the bulls are out of the rut?

Second question is if they are, will using a bugle still bring in bulls?

Lastly, if not, are there any other calls I can use to lure in a bull?

Last week I saw a herd of 30-40 crossing the ridge outside of my kitchen window. I really hope that was not the last time I will see any elk this season.

Happy hunting.

Oregon doesn't hunt during rut. I haven't seen a hunter used calls before but maybe they do on the coast. And I'd make sure to either have a hunting partner or a buddy that will come help if called cause packing out an elk is no easy job alone.

I hunt the first week of November and the rut is definitely over. The only call I have is a cow call or calf call. I use it mainly to mask my screwups. Break a twig, cow call to sound like part of the herd. Unlike deer, you can generally stay on their trail, even if you bump them a little.

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to know. My father and I will be hunting near my property, so we will have access to a quad, trailer and other tools to get the beast home....haha, wishful thinking.

its funny, ive hunted the cascades in 2nd season bow deer... i heard/saw an elk bugle a few times and this was early december. maybe he got denied all thru the rut :rolleyes:

elk hunting (especially in the cascades) can be tricky. ive found the herds in the cascades where i hunt to be very nomadic and dont take up residence in one specific area.

i would use a cow call to locate/trick them into thinking youre a cow when you plow thru some brush or break a twig. cows talk year round. calfs never shut up.

theyre out there dude, go find'm.

typical elk rut ends late september to early October- heard a few bugles last week up in the northside unit near johnday- even took photo's and a short vid of a massive 6x6 or 7x7 with a herem of 20 plus cows and no satellite bulls anywhere nearby indicating the rut was still on but winding down- like said before during rifle season a cow or calf call can help sometimes, mostly to cover your mess ups or if lucky stop a bull from moving off and give a look back.

I hunt eastern Oregon and have heard bulls still bugling at the end of October. It's not common but also not rare that a young bull may be trying to breed and will bugle and not get his arsed kicked by bigger bulls. The intensity and frequency is nothing like the rut, but I have witnessed it. I too carry a few cow calls, as others have said to cover up my clumsiness, and stop or get an elk's attention. But I don't use a call to actually try to call a bull into me.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top