JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This will be my first year hunting elk and I am more than excited. The season is only a week long in the cascades region, and I would love to fill my bull elk tag.

The first question is that am I correct in thinking that come the 14th, the bulls are out of the rut?

Second question is if they are, will using a bugle still bring in bulls?

Lastly, if not, are there any other calls I can use to lure in a bull?

Last week I saw a herd of 30-40 crossing the ridge outside of my kitchen window. I really hope that was not the last time I will see any elk this season.

Happy hunting.

Oregon doesn't hunt during rut. I haven't seen a hunter used calls before but maybe they do on the coast. And I'd make sure to either have a hunting partner or a buddy that will come help if called cause packing out an elk is no easy job alone.

I hunt the first week of November and the rut is definitely over. The only call I have is a cow call or calf call. I use it mainly to mask my screwups. Break a twig, cow call to sound like part of the herd. Unlike deer, you can generally stay on their trail, even if you bump them a little.

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to know. My father and I will be hunting near my property, so we will have access to a quad, trailer and other tools to get the beast home....haha, wishful thinking.

its funny, ive hunted the cascades in 2nd season bow deer... i heard/saw an elk bugle a few times and this was early december. maybe he got denied all thru the rut :rolleyes:

elk hunting (especially in the cascades) can be tricky. ive found the herds in the cascades where i hunt to be very nomadic and dont take up residence in one specific area.

i would use a cow call to locate/trick them into thinking youre a cow when you plow thru some brush or break a twig. cows talk year round. calfs never shut up.

theyre out there dude, go find'm.

typical elk rut ends late september to early October- heard a few bugles last week up in the northside unit near johnday- even took photo's and a short vid of a massive 6x6 or 7x7 with a herem of 20 plus cows and no satellite bulls anywhere nearby indicating the rut was still on but winding down- like said before during rifle season a cow or calf call can help sometimes, mostly to cover your mess ups or if lucky stop a bull from moving off and give a look back.

I hunt eastern Oregon and have heard bulls still bugling at the end of October. It's not common but also not rare that a young bull may be trying to breed and will bugle and not get his arsed kicked by bigger bulls. The intensity and frequency is nothing like the rut, but I have witnessed it. I too carry a few cow calls, as others have said to cover up my clumsiness, and stop or get an elk's attention. But I don't use a call to actually try to call a bull into me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top