JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the big problems with "stuff" is the ancillary costs of having it. Most things are really not one-time expenses, they need accessories, maintenance, storage, repair, etc. and that all cuts into future budgets.

Join the club LOL I guess you already did I got so much stuff that I don't need and the funny thing is I can't sell it to someone else because I know they don't need it either the funny part is they know they don't need it too LOL I'M NOT A GOOD SALESMEN

If money doesn't make you happy then you probably aren't spending it right!:D

But I agree with Jamie6.5 - It's best to spend it on experiences rather than stuff.

In our house stuff is only purchased (according to me) if it's durable, long lasting, multiple uses and is fixable.

My wife has a different view.

I've been clamping down on useless purchases (disposable) crap.

If money doesn't make you happy then you probably aren't spending it right!:D

But I agree with Jamie6.5 - It's best to spend it on experiences rather than stuff.

Or if money doesn't make you happy it's because you don't have enough of it lol

It's all in the attitude.
I've worked directly for billionaires on their toys, and both witnessed and experienced some of the things their money buys. Also have extended relatives with net worth > $250M, and close relatives worth >$10M. Stuff: Ferrari F40/F50 & Enzo, all the women you could want, yachts, and million dollar stereos, vacations anywhere (Antarctica). No doubt about it, it's _NICE_. Truly cool experiences too. I also see it as a trap.

Of the eight people am thinking of, one seemed truly happy. The rest, well, let me say that penis envy is amusing at that elite level. Of the close and extended family members who are multi's, I know some of the demons that chase them, and money fans those flames of hell.

I stopped buying frivolous BS a few months ago. Told the bank to raise my auto payments way up. I got some credit going cause I haven't used it for so long.
Heck told the dentist I had a small budget. He cut me a deal too
Then went to check my account and had way more than I thought even after I paid him.
I still buy some reloading supplies here and there cause it's my duty to have them:confused:. But the stupid stuff that I already have plenty of I can pass on now.
You try to make it a game. How many times can I pass BS up?

It's really hard to convince some folks (sister-in-law) that just because it's half price, you're actually still spending if you don't need it. She'll spend $100 on shoes that retail for $200 and actually act like she earned $100 because she didn't pay full price for something she doesn't need, will never wear and usually doesn't fit because she won't admit she has feet like Sasquatch!
I think Nordstrom's actually named a changing room in her honor.:rolleyes:
I go into the local ammo shop to get some 223. 500 rounds should do for now. The guy says 'well if you buy 1000 rounds you save 20 bucks'
You sound like my ex wife
He kinda blinks 3 times 'gosh I hope not,why do you say that?'
Well if I don't buy the other 500 rounds I save $180 bucks,right?
He blinks 4 times real fast

SO my "resolution" has little to do with Buying stuff. I need to refine my diet in order to stay off insulin and loose my job (I drive Dump truck and its a no needle deal I am told) so while I have been on pills for quite a while I have no been as careful with my diet as I should. SO THAT WILL CHANGE

Other then that I plan on spending money on the same thing I have been spending money on the last couple years. GETTING MY WILLYS JEEP PROJECT DONE (another $2000-$2500.00 to go) House is paid off with the MAY payment so that will liberate funds to knock down a small credit line and our one small CC bill.

But no real changes in spending.

I go into the local ammo shop to get some 223. 500 rounds should do for now. The guy says 'well if you buy 1000 rounds you save 20 bucks'
You sound like my ex wife
He kinda blinks 3 times 'gosh I hope not,why do you say that?'
Well if I don't buy the other 500 rounds I save $180 bucks,right?
He blinks 4 times real fast

ROFLMAO I will have my House paid off with the May payment and I have guys at work who look me right in the face and say "you need to refiance other wise you loose the interest write off on your taxes" LOL at this point in the loan the interest is less then $25.00 of the payment. It amazes me the way some people think. Having the House paid off will mean I am not spending $7200.00 on Payments To heck with the Interest write off.

Buying guns is DIFFERENT than buying other commodities. You buy a nice
living room furniture set and spend $1000 +++. 10 years later you give the
old living room set away or sell it for a couple hundred bucks. Purchase a
firearm for a decent price (not full retail) 10 years later it is worth MORE money.
I try and convince the wife you do not 'spend' money on guns you 'invest'.o_Oo_O

ROFLMAO I will have my House paid off with the May payment and I have guys at work who look me right in the face and say "you need to refiance other wise you loose the interest write off on your taxes" LOL at this point in the loan the interest is less then $25.00 of the payment. It amazes me the way some people think. Having the House paid off will mean I am not spending $7200.00 on Payments To heck with the Interest write off.
I have laughed at that logic before
What are you supposed to do with the loan funds? Buy more useless BS?

My resolutions are pretty blah.

Relax more.

Bought a hot tub and I imply to use the sht out of it.

Maybe take a vacation. Haven't taken one in a while.

Shoot more.

Volunteer more.

Buying less gun stuff would probably help, but an addict is an addict.

Hell I just bought this yesterday.

IMG_0119.JPG

The freedom that comes with no debt and no credit cards and no mortgage has had a very salubrious effect on my own good humor.

I'd recommend such discipline to anyone who'd rather manage their life and times more rationally. Such is rather like learning an instrument, it takes time and practice to make it sound the way you want it to.

We think alike. That logic is akin to "buy this and save!!" It does make sense when the deductions bring you down to a tax level where there is a steeper drop in the adjusted income tax bracket rate. There are other ways, much more creative and productive, to achieve this if you're already free & clear.
The other one that confuses me is increased mortgage payments. If you're in your place for the long haul, it makes sense. It's also nice to have the celebratory burning of the mortgage, but I know I'm not going to be in my house more than 7 years. Those increased payments come at the cost of liquidity. If you consider your potential return is at 4.75% annually and stretch it over 30 years, that's a safe but pretty cruddy rate of return when you consider my investments have been returning 10-12% annually over the last 5 years. Although, I just learned the hard way, there is a steep downside to that: if I had put that into accelerated mortgage payments, I would be x dollars less in my mortgage. Instead, going through divorce #2, soon-to-be-ex gets 50% of that investment fund and all it's growth.

My resolutions are pretty blah.
Relax more.
Bought a hot tub and I imply to use the sht out of it.
Maybe take a vacation. Haven't taken one in a while.
Shoot more.
Volunteer more.
Buying less gun stuff would probably help, but an addict is an addict.
Hell I just bought this yesterday.
View attachment 332389

Colors of the Russian flag on a [Romanian] built? I hope they gave you a great discount! ;)

I used to live well below the poverty line in a warehouse with around 7 other guys, all in the same boat as me. We were living the starving artist lifestyle and didn't mind the lack of funds at all, we made it work out really well. Every now and then someone would come home with an extravagant (for us at the time) purchase, like a new surfboard or musical instrument, and our response would always be, "workin' ain't nuthin unless you buy cool $hit!"
I still live frugally (as frugally as possible considering I have a wife and kid and house now) and still ascribe to the same philosophy.
Money is a tool, used to provide security, food, interesting experiences, and cool $hit!
This year I'm going to save up for a .22 can, ammo, and maybe reloading equipment. All other purchases will fall under the "necessary to live" category.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews