JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've actually been through this before. Several years ago, after being unemployed for over 2 years, I had burned through my savings and sold off damn near everything else I owned, I had to reduce the gun collection. I had over 65 firearms at the time, I went down to 2.

Sig P220 Carry SAO, .45ACP. I picked this one because I shot it well, could conceal it well and it served home defense chores with a Surefire X200 attached.

Benelli Nova 26" 12ga. This was one of the 20 shotguns I owned that had proven itself in the field. I hunted a lot of quail and ducks at the time, this served me quite well and pointed right where I needed it to. I had nicer semi-autos, but those also fetched more money, so they went.

I didn't keep a rifle just because for big game, I archery hunted, so I kept my bow.

One side benefit, It's amazing just how much more proficient I became with what I had. No more "what should I take to the range this weekend" decisions. I shot what I had and shot it well.

Event though I've been back on my feet for several years, I'm now much more frugal about why I buy. I've added to the firearms collection a bit, but everything I buy serves a purpose. No more safe queens.

Here in yUK, there are positively NO safe queens. Why, I hear you ask [well, maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyhow].

Every time we go to the range to shoot, we log the guns we shoot in the range record of attendance that every member has to fill in/out on arrival. Because I have nineteen guns, I photo-copied the page of my FAC, and numbered the guns from 1 - 19, and simply refer to them by number on the check-in. At the end of the shooting, the RCO of the day comes into the club-room, and signs off on both the day-book [you've signed in as attending that, of course, as well] AND the register of use.

Soooooooooooooo, over the year, the range officials can see not only how many times you've been to the range, but what and how many of your guns you have been shooting.

Once a year attendance is not uncommon, even bearing in mind that it's around $200 membership.

However, consecutive once a year attendance becomes a matter serious enough for the range officials to be required in law to notify the firearms licensing department, who will review your possession of your firearms that you do not seem to be using. Remember here in UK you must demonstrate GOOD REASON to acquire and possess any firearm. By NOT using it/them you are failing to obey the terms of the certificate conditions. They can, and will, revoke your Firearms Certificate, and with that, goes your authorisation to acquire and possess ANY firearm and ammunition.

So, basically, use 'em or lose 'em.

tac

Last Edited:
Here in yUK, there are positively NO safe queens. Why, I hear you ask [well, maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyhow].

Every time we go to the range to shoot, we log the guns we shoot in the range record of attendance that every member has to fill in/out on arrival. Because I have nineteen guns, I photo-copied the page of my FAC, and numbered the guns from 1 - 19, and simply refer to them by number on the check-in. At the end of the shooting, the RCO of the day comes into the clubroom, and sign off on both the day-book [you've signed in as attending that, of course, as well] AND the register of use.

Soooooooooooooo, over the year, the range officials can see not only how many times you've been to the range, but what and how many of your guns you have been shooting.

Once a year attendance is not uncommon, even bearing in mind that it's around $200 membership.

However, consecutive once a year attendance becomes a matter serious enough for the range officials to be required in law to notify the firearms licensing department who will review your possession of your firearms that you do not seem to be using. Remember here in UK you must demonstrate GOOD REASON to acquire and possess any firearm. By NOT using it/them you are failing to obey the terms of the certificate conditions. They can, and will, revoke your Firearms Certificate, and with that, goes your autorisation of acquire and possess ANY firearm.

So, basically, use 'em or lose 'em.

tac

That was very interesting to read. Thank-You, for giving me, at the least, something to give some perspective on our freedoms here.

My list, keeping SHTF in mind
9mm, 40mm and 45 pistol
5.56 rifle
12 ga shot gun
a PCC,

Then one from the list of most common 30 cal rifles
30.06, .308/7.62 Nato, 30-30

I have some of this list currently.

If the list was one, and since I live in the suburbs, probably a 9mm pistol (possibly 40)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top