Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Thread Title Modification!

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Based on many comments we've received regarding people wanting the sold ads moved to another location, we're going to try this modification for a while as sort of a happy medium. The reason we don't want to move the old ads to another location is because the initial activity within the thread when it's posted drives up the Google pagerank, making it appear higher on the list when someone types in that term. If the thread is closed and moved, it loses it's pagerank, and since it's closed it'll never regain it's previous status. Nearly 40% of our new traffic and members come from Google, so it's important we maintain a high pagerank.

Now, I understand completely when you guys say you get annoyed wading through the closed ads and that the lock to the left of the thread title isn't pronounced enough. What this modification does is makes the title of any closed thread light gray instead of blue. This will draw your eyes to the open threads, rather than the closed ones, and allow you to quickly determine an item is no longer available. The benefit to us is the threads are still there, and the search engines still see them the same as they always have.

I'd love to hear your comments, as this is our 'test run' phase :thumbup:

2. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I like the new setup. Seems like a good compromise and is easy to surf through.

Thanks.

3. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

I like it too, looks good, and it makes it easy to see at a glance what's already gone. :thumbup:

4. theduke

theduke NW Member

Works for me & I like the new stripe as well!:thumbup:

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Very good idea.

6. rick

rick Close to Corvallis, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This is definitely a change for the better. Thanks! :thumbup:

7. Dyjital

I didn't see anything about it.

but I saw red titles, what's that for?

8. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Red titles are for sticky threads. If a thread is stuck it's usually important, so we made those red for higher visibility. You'll see the light gray threads in the classified section (and possibly elsewhere).

9. Dyjital

:banana: :werd:

Thanks for that clarification.

10. sbwool63

sbwool63 Clark County, WA Member

wat r your plans for the several open threads that have sold items, the thread owners do not always close them... i have found many

sbwool

11. Joe Link

If you see threads like this, please use the report button to report them to us mods. We'll make sure the person is clear on what they need to do to close it and/or if they don't respond we'll make sure the thread is closed :thumbup:

12. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Thank's for the creative changes!........................elsullo :thumbup:

13. pirateer2007

pirateer2007 Spokane Wa Member

:thumbup::D:thumbup:

14. treemanx

treemanx Spray, Or. Active Member

Good change, I like it. Thanks!

15. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

Like it, Love it, need it.

16. sbwool63

joey i didnt tell u, i do like the changes its really cool man.

and i will start reporting

Shane

17. Joe Link

So far it sounds like everyone is for it :)

18. sbwool63

jus a friendly heads up -

I have gone and found in the classified handgun section on in - WTS/WA and WTS/WTT WA ads. I found 30-40 ads that have been sold but not closed. also found 15-20 ads from 6months to 1 year old that are marked Sold pending funds.

we as a comminity need to work on cleaning up after ourselves and make the forum easyier to navigate through.

we shouldnt ask joey to make changes if we arent closing our own ads properly

lets get some oregon guys to go through the oregon ads?

sbwool

19. Joe Link

Thanks a ton Shane, we'll get those cleaned up as soon as possible ;)

20. sbwool63

just finished up the rifle section for WA. i probably found 25-30 ads. to have removed! i wonder wat my total count is?