JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is up with all the new striker fired full sized pistols? Beretta, CZ, Remington, FN, HK, Walther and on and on. Did I miss something or did full size pistols become popular again? Why not just buy a Glock? Cost? They are all cheap compared to the last rage in full size handguns, 1911s. The last time I was looking, it was small concealed handguns that were the rage. I wounder if demand will keep these companies solvent now that the Republicans are in charge?

The striker fired pistol experiment has passed with flying colors, along with polymer frames. Early versions like the Sigma were too close to Glock to avoid legal problems. People like me who had preconceived notions were forced to use Glocks and realized how easy they were to shoot, train newer shooters to use, and learned to like the lighter weight and increased capacity over guns like Sigs and Berettas.

Many people may have liked the theory but didnt care for the Way Glocks feel. So a race to introduce ergonomic guns with the ease of training and use of the Glock.

A big glut of full sized guns can probably attributed to big federal contracts recently. The military and FBI to name a couple. We are now seeing market trials of the designs offered in those design competitions.

More often than not I carry either a Walther PPQ 45, or my Glock 20, phenomenal triggers, accuracy and reliability win every time. I have actually been selling off my Colt collection, and only have one Wilson left which is on gunbroker now. I resisted polymer guns for 20+ years, I can't for the life of me justify it.

I don't believe any striker fired gun I've owned has had the raw accuracy as my 1911, P220, P226, or P229. Thats square range fundamental marksmanship type shooting. When it comes to actually operating with a handgun, the striker fired guns are plenty accurate and easier to use.
I have one plastic gun.....PPS-M2
At first the trigger felt weird to me, but it supposedly has decent trigger for a striker fire.
I was pulling shots to the left badly and I was about to give up on it.
Fast forward a couple hundred rounds and that little 3.1" barrel does OK.

Free hand @ 50'
Don't know if I could do it again, but that thing will shoot where you point it.
First Target- I.jpg

I became sick & tired of plastic fantastic pistols & sold them all. My only semi-autos I have are a R1S 1911 my wife bought me for Christmas, a WWII Luger & West German Army P38. I now carry, shoot and collect S&W revolvers. My 442 works fine for carry w/ .38 Special +Ps. Most of my fun to shoot & collect revolvers are "N" & "J" frames (M317, M442, M27, M57, M25 & M327). Currently on the hunt for a nice Highway Patrolman (M28). The polished blue revolvers are beautiful. Revolvers are accurate & go bang every time. If you can't stop it with my .357 Mag, we'll you should probably have a rifle.

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

Last Edited:
What is up with all the new striker fired full sized pistols? Beretta, CZ, Remington, FN, HK, Walther and on and on. Did I miss something or did full size pistols become popular again? Why not just buy a Glock? Cost? They are all cheap compared to the last rage in full size handguns, 1911s. The last time I was looking, it was small concealed handguns that were the rage. I wounder if demand will keep these companies solvent now that the Republicans are in charge?

Because Glocks are UGLY! You asked. :D

Gun makers are trying to sell stuff and offer customers something new. But the 1911 market is saturated. The small single stack market is saturated. And it doesn't make too much sense to come out with a SA/DA steel pistol these days. Soooo...we're seeing more large strikers right now.

Last Edited:
I own a Walther, Canik, S&W, Ruger to name a few. All of them in 9mm they are accurate and I can usually hit what I'm aiming at with good results. They are cheaper and lighter which makes carrying them every day easier.

It also allows me to keep the more expensive guns nicer and in the safe until I want to take them shooting.

Am I the only one that thinks full size guns are more controllable and easier to shoot well? I mean, yes a person can shoot a lightweight compact well enough but a full size pistol is sized nicely for all around shooting.

You choose compact and plastic framed guns because they are more concealable and easier to carry, but there is a definite market for full sized semi autos. If you keep a pistol in your bedroom the bigger the better IMO.

I think the Stryker pistols are popular because of simplicity. Much easier for a new shooter to get down.

But for me being raised on sa/da pistols or 1911 style the Stryker pistols are no big deal. My wife carries one. I have one but with a grip safety 1911 style.

I always hear you must carry one style only if you want to live. That's like saying I can't drive a stick shift and an automatic or a tractor or forklift ect. Some things you learn for life. I can operate what's on my side.

Am I the only one that thinks full size guns are more controllable and easier to shoot well? I mean, yes a person can shoot a lightweight compact well enough but a full size pistol is sized nicely for all around shooting.

You choose compact and plastic framed guns because they are more concealable and easier to carry, but there is a definite market for full sized semi autos. If you keep a pistol in your bedroom the bigger the better IMO.

Full size are easier to a point but I can put just as many rounds on target with my LC9 as I can with my 1911 or Walther PPQ. Its all what you train with and get used to IMO.

I have a G17 and a G34 and for steel and drills they run and run well. I think full sized striker fired guns are just as popular as concealed carry pieces.

Am I the only one that thinks full size guns are more controllable and easier to shoot well?
Depends on the design, I think. Without a "pinkie rest" of some kind, they don't feel right to me.
The sub-compact that shot the above target has an optional 8 round mag.
It has a sculpted base shoe that meshes with the grip.
It feels like I'm gripping a full size.

There are no sub-compact race guns for a reason.
There is no substitute for weight and a longer barrel in regards to control.
You just have to draw the line on what you want to carry.

With the WA & OR liberal laws, you have to be very careful when you fire a weapon in self defense. I get a little more leeway since I'm partially paralyzed on the left side (DAV), so I can't go get my phone easily (I walk w/ a Cane). 9mmP will penetrate your house walls and cross the street into your neighbor's house. There is ammo that may help, but I wouldn't want to take a chance. With my luck I would injure a child. As a former LEO who carried a 4" S&W 686, we were trained to be aware of what was near or around your target, .357 Mag HPs of the early '80s would over penetrate big time.

Am I the only one that thinks full size guns are more controllable and easier to shoot well? I mean, yes a person can shoot a lightweight compact well enough but a full size pistol is sized nicely for all around shooting. When we carried openly, it sure wasn't a vest pocket gun hanging from my hip.

Absolutely the full size guns are easier to shoot. Back when concealed carry was mostly illegal in Oregon, and we mostly carried our handguns exposed while fishing or hunting, then the best, full sized handgun is what hung on our sides. And that often could be a Python, a Security Six, a Hi-Power, a Model 28 Smith revolver, a 1911, or a full sized Sig.

And to say that a Glock and similar plastic pistols have phenomenal triggers, I would have to ask, "compared to what?" "Compared to the trigger on an electric drill"? Further, for a person to think these guns have phenomenal triggers leads me to believe they've never shot a quality SA pistol or revolver.

The CHL opportunities have created the need for a handgun where concealment trumps anything else, including how well it shoots. Inexpensive (cheap), small, light weight, and ease of use is more important than a quality shooting experience.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Because Glocks are UGLY! You asked. :D

Gun makers are trying to sell stuff and offer customers something new. But the 1911 market is saturated. The small single stack market is saturated. And it doesn't make two much sense to come out with a SA/DA steel pistol these days. Soooo...we're seeing more large strikers right now.

I have never seen a Tupperware pistol that was attractive. They are all fugly, but effective.

I won't argue about a full size being easier to shoot than a compact. But my little p938 will shoot very close in group size as my full size pistols at 50'. I tried it a few weeks back and was truly amazed. And that's one of the reasons it's always on me. If I miss, it's on me, not the pistol. Trust is a wonderful thing.

I won't argue about a full size being easier to shoot than a compact. But my little p938 will shoot very close in group size as my full size pistols at 50'. I tried it a few weeks back and was truly amazed. And that's one of the reasons it's always on me. If I miss, it's on me, not the pistol. Trust is a wonderful thing.

Unless you are hunting, a threat to your life is not going to be more than 25' from you. We can no longer just drag them back into the house.......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top