JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sat here laffing my a$$ off reading some of the comments here.

Rollers and ball-bearings have been part of firearms design since the early 1930s - MG34 anybody? MG42, ring any bells? Still in service under a bunch of other hide-that-nazi-past designations, but still the same old in every way except calibre - mostly. As for the HK91, well, perhaps it's better known by its predecessor's name - the G3, service rifle to the Free World that DIDN'T choose the FAL, nor, of course the USA's M14. I can't download the almost hundred countries that used or still use the G3 - but here are a few of the a's and b's....
Seems they trusted that off little pair of locking rollers not to kill them...

THE definitive military straight-pull has to be the Schmidt-Rubin and its successor, the K31. You can bet your last dollar that the Swiss weren't ever going to use a thing that didn't work as designed.

Straight-pull and proud of it - both mine get shot - a lot - and I'm not ashamed of them enough to hide them away, but they are plain-jane infantry rifles, not spiffy sniper variants.

But you can bet your a$$ that If I had the ZFK55 I'd be shooting the socks off it every chance I got.

Watching a youtube on some other straight pull rifles. Apparently some Blasers use "prongs" in a circle around the bolt head - looks similar to clutch fingers on some car clutches - and they are held in place by gas pressure too.

Man, oh man! I can't wait to go fully semi bolt action with one of those babies!

Truth is I have decades of muscle memory that will always try to operate a bolt action in the classic "lift and separate" motion, and I don't think I would ever feel confident that the round was fully in battery without lowering the handle and feel it lock in place.

Man, oh man! I can't wait to go fully semi bolt action with one of those babies!

Truth is I have decades of muscle memory that will always try to operate a bolt action in the classic "lift and separate" motion, and I don't think I would ever feel confident that the round was fully in battery without lowering the handle and feel it lock in place.
Just like trying to floor shift my wife's car after driving my truck.

Anschutz has made straight pull Biathlon rifles for decades. Izhmash has side-pull toggle actions. Scaled up, why not? In a lawyer-rich environment, it must be well-proved.

With the AR15 being so popular, I'm still not exactly understanding why no one hasn't made a straight pull similar to how the bolt actuates in an AR. A simple cam interacting with a point within the receiver to rotate the lugs seems so easy to do? True lugs on the bolt face would give me more sense of security than ball bearings.

Curiously enough, if you are a civvie and shoot an AR in the UK, it'll be a straight pull conversion.

I dont think its a big enough improvement over a traditional bolt action to warrent buying into it. If I was that concerned about speed, I would get a semiauto.

I dont think its a big enough improvement over a traditional bolt action to warrent buying into it. If I was that concerned about speed, I would get a semiauto.
Was the reason why it never caught on, it was expensive to make and was fast but not by a major margin for a single person. It would only make a big difference with more people with them, but they were expensive to manufacture so it didn't happen.

It would have been extremely expensive to outfit an entire military just to replace traditional bolt actions. By the time they could have been done cheaper, rifles like the FAL entered.

That this rifle is $1500 msrp and made by savage arms should be telling how expensive straight pulls are to make in comparison. Up until the 90s, most straight pulls were smallbore (.22 lr and other .22s).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top