JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting.

Lots of shot show stuff hitting the web this week i imagine.

I confess I do like the concept, but as stated, time will tell.

Plenty of ideas come along, but it seems few stick or catch on, whether gimmick or functional.

Straight pull isn't new, but I like the idea.

Interesting. I'm not sure how much I trust 4 detent balls to lock it up, but time will tell.
I was thrown off by that at first too. Obviously it's gone through a lot of testing, but the ultimate test will be time in the hands of the users.

Interesting with the ball bearings instead of a rotating bolt. I imagine a rotating bolt has been patented and that might be the reason for this design.

Concerns:
  • Savage actions are known to gum up if not properly cleaned and lubricated. I've had two ejector plungers stop working from powder residue (have to ultrasonic clean the whole bolt head to fix that).
  • Also, Using a ball bearing in a thrust situation works as long as it's designed and built properly. If the bolt head and barrel/action engagement "race" are not heat treated (and not just "case hardened"), not sure which would wear out first, the barrel or the bolt.
Been done for some time with Blazer (R8 & R93) and Merkel rifles.
Here is the equivalent action from a Blazer R8:
1609866060619.png

Concerns:
  • Savage actions are known to gum up if not properly cleaned and lubricated. I've had two ejector plungers stop working from powder residue (have to ultrasonic clean the whole bolt head to fix that).
  • Also, Using a ball bearing in a thrust situation works as long as it's designed and built properly. If the bolt head and barrel/action engagement "race" are not heat treated (and not just "case hardened"), not sure which would wear out first, the barrel or the bolt.
Been done for some time with Blazer (R8 & R93) and Merkel rifles.
Here is the equivalent action from a Blazer R8:
View attachment 802517
ive never heard of a savage action gumming up?i havent had any issues yet. i only shoot mine suppressed and rarely clean it so id expect it to be even worse! good to know!

ive never heard of a savage action gumming up?i havent had any issues yet. i only shoot mine suppressed and rarely clean it so id expect it to be even worse! good to know!
Yeah, consider yourself lucky!
My 338 Edge had it happen, then my 308 FCP-SR rifle had it happen 2x. Sharp Shooter Supply makes a replacement mod for it because it's not uncommon. The fix? A minutely smaller ø plunger and higher K factor on the spring. Bought two and put one on each of the those rifles. My thought was the lube and amount I was using contributed to the problem. Was using MPro 7 and have since gone with Mobil One 0w-20 motorcycle oil. Lesson to me: bolt actions are not like ARs - less oil is better.

I find this interesting. I also tend to throw bolts in the ultrasonic cleaner anyway as a routine. I am lazy that way. Put the bolt in the cleaner. I do a quick bore swab while the cleaner is running. Run it, dry and a couple drops of oil, done.

Why? If you shoot real calibers like the 300WM the cycle time is irrelevant. You cant hold on target after the shot anyways. It wont make you shoot any faster. You still need to relocate your target. Maybe on a 6.5 I GUESS or rounds like a.223. And it cycle times matter, then why not shoot a Browning BAR?

I'd be down to try one, love the strait pull bolt actions!
Don't knock it till you try it, Schmidt & Rubin's are the schiznit for fast action shootin, and they are not hard to keep on track through a shot string if you actually learn how to do it!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top