JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not dissing the rifle or the new mechanics, but only once did I follow with a second shot, turned out wasn't needed had I been a little patient. I was young then. If I expected such things, I would rather use my old 30-06 BAR, and forgo the fancy foot work.

Why? If you shoot real calibers like the 300WM the cycle time is irrelevant. You cant hold on target after the shot anyways. It wont make you shoot any faster. You still need to relocate your target. Maybe on a 6.5 I GUESS or rounds like a.223. And it cycle times matter, then why not shoot a Browning BAR?
If strait pull was such a game changer, PRS/NRL and other bolt action timed gamers would be using them.

If strait pull was such a game changer, PRS/NRL and other bolt action timed gamers would be using them.
It WAS a game changer to an extent, it was also an expensive concept so it never really caught on. By the time they could have caught on, selective fire/semiauto rifles were becoming the standard among militaries.

As for the civilian market, was never really a point. There's a reason why most straight pull bolt actions are military surplus. However, there is the German R93 (as mentioned earlier) that exists, and has some military use. Its also an expensive rifle, so no one really bothered to get into it as much as other rifles.

Last Edited:
It looks similar to a rolling block setup except the blocks are 6 instead of 2, different shaped, and the actuation is not based on the barrel moving under recoil. Seems like it could be OK, not something I feel like I need.

For hunting I'm not a big fan of the spray and pray plan.

My experience with straight-pull actions are the Austrian M1895 and the Swiss K31. But these work completely differently. The Austrian took a lot of tug; the Swiss was much easier to operate.

Also, Using a ball bearing in a thrust situation works as long as it's designed and built properly. If the bolt head and barrel/action engagement "race" are not heat treated (and not just "case hardened"), not sure which would wear out first, the barrel or the bolt.

I have to wonder about the use of ball bearings for this. Carburized steel bearings will crumble; through-treated steel with the addition of carbon will fracture given enough stress. I guess the guys who designed these straight pull actions using ball bearings must've thought this through.

...The Austrian took a lot of tug...

I have to wonder about the use of ball bearings for this. Carburized steel bearings will crumble; through-treated steel with the addition of carbon will fracture given enough stress. I guess the guys who designed these straight pull actions using ball bearings must've thought this through.

reminds me of backpacking around Europe...

I like the idea, i'm guessing the BB's, ( as opposed to dropping blocks or lugs ), will give a nice smooth run in and out of battery. that said, there's something about the lifting and locking of the bolt knob that lets you know" ready to fire" without looking.
With the BB's sliding into similarly rounded recesses, I'm wondering how "in battery" it feels when you chamber a round, especially if it has a slightly longer OAL...
The ambidextrous handle is clever.

MSRP on their website for the "Big Game" model is $1,449. Seems very steep, hopefully street price is much, much lower

It WAS a game changer to an extent, it was also an expensive concept so it never really caught on. By the time they could have caught on, selective fire/semiauto rifles were becoming the standard among militaries.

As for the civilian market, was never really a point. There's a reason why most straight pull bolt actions are military surplus. However, there is the German R93 (as mentioned earlier) that exists, and has some military use. Its also an expensive rifle, so no one really bothered to get into it as much as other rifles.
Expense has little to do with it when half the guys are running $10k Gun setups. If there was any advantage, they would be running them.

Expense has little to do with it when half the guys are running $10k Gun setups. If there was any advantage, they would be running them.
You completely missed the point. They never caught on in militaries due to cost. Then the small arms technology at the time started to advance, the straight pull became pointless because select fire rifles became the standard. As such, most manufacturers never bothered to keep them going, which then caused it to not really enter the civilian market.

So yes, expense had a lot to do with it. Compared to most bolt actions, they are faster to cycle.

tenor.gif

You completely missed the point. They never caught on in militaries due to cost. Then the small arms technology at the time started to advance, the straight pull became pointless because select fire rifles became the standard. As such, most manufacturers never bothered to keep them going, which then caused it to not really enter the civilian market.

So yes, expense had a lot to do with it. Compared to most bolt actions, they are faster to cycle.
You are missing the point. They arent faster and there is no advantage. Its a novelty. The military has nothing to do with it. There is a k31 sniper sitting in my safe and i have shot the r93.

Again if there was any advantage, guys shooting for medals and money would be using them. Cost is irrelevent.

You are missing the point. They arent faster and there is no advantage. Its a novelty. The military has nothing to do with it. There is a k31 sniper sitting in my safe and i have shot the r93.

Again if there was any advantage, guys shooting for medals and money would be using them. Cost is irrelevent.
Cost is one of the biggest reason why things never catch on. And it is the biggest factor in why straight pulls never caught on.

The military did happen to have it here as well, because most didn't use straight pulls, so it never caught on in that market, and it was going to be expensive for some random manufacturer to enter that into the market.

You can say its a novelty or whatever, but that is besides the point. They were expensive to produce, so they just never caught on. Up until recently there was really only the R93 as far as modern rifles go. Because it was too expensive to catch on in other markets.

If it never really catches on, no one is gonna bother doing it anyways.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top