JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes it is odd no one stocks them in this easy sell environment. Maybe they are worried about not being able to sell them after the election, but laws take time.

I did shoot my new American Compact Pistol today, and I am well pleased. I liked the full size version, but I like this one even better. And for whatever reason, I think this one has a better trigger, although the other one wasn't bad. The "Pro" model has no safety. I must be an amateur, as mine does have a safety. And I prefer that it does. Everything I ever trained with in the Army had a safety, and a safety is second nature to me.

Maybe because of the slightly better trigger, but this Compact model is easier to shoot accurately.

Last, I took the little pinky hook off the magazine. It's just easier for me to curl my pinky below the grip. I've got big fat fingers, and even with the hook on the magazine, I still gotta do some cramming to get all my fingers where they're supposed to belong.

WAYNO.

Good news. I think Ruger was supposed to have tweaked the trigger slightly on the compact, it seems I heard or read that somewhere. I can take the safety or leave it, but for the wife the safety is a no go, takes her five minutes of looking and fiddling be fore she can shoot. Next time up same thing.

I always like the SR9s feel for the American. And it's not as heavy. But I am in the market for a new double stack 9 was leaning towards a p320 but I will have to read up on the American compact. Hey WAYNO have any pictures you'd like to share?

I always like the SR9s feel for the American. And it's not as heavy. But I am in the market for a new double stack 9 was leaning towards a p320 but I will have to read up on the American compact. Hey WAYNO have any pictures you'd like to share?

Yep, I can certainly post some pictures. And I can also let you try it out at the gun club.

As you can see, the American Compact is very similar to so many other polymer pistols of the same size. I wont say any one is better than the other, any more than I could tell a feller in Idaho that my Dodge or Ford is any better than his Chevy. I will say that I've owned or shot many different pistols in this class, and for me, this one is my favorite. It really has a nice trigger. It really is compact. And for a double stack, my finger still reaches the trigger. So I don't know how they've adjusted the geometry, but it works well for me. There are three different size grip modules. With my short but very wide fingers, the smallest module works best for me. There is a finger hook that came on the 12-round magazine. I still can't get all my fingers on the grip comfortably, so I've elected to use just the flat plate on the bottom of this magazine, and I curl my little finger below the magazine. That's how I shoot most guns anyway. And if a guy wanted to use the 17-round magazine, then he could get all his fingers on the grip, regardless of his finger size.

P1030468_zpsu1tkleby.jpg

P1030470_zpsufya1ugq.jpg

P1030475_zpseuwl9fmn.jpg

P1030477_zpsxeelvkrz.jpg
P1030486_zpselywrrpp.jpg

P1030481_zpslbjalbdz.jpg

P1030484_zpsiafdlpbx.jpg

WAYNO.:cool:

Last Edited:
I liked the small grip, could use the large, and have the medium on at the moment. I will likely settle on the small so the Warden can have at it....once she stop squalling about a new gun :D She has small hands but takes to larger grips fairly well. I think the pinky extension will work for her. I can squeeze them in, but would likely prefer the pinky curl myself.
Mine looks the same minus the humongous thumb safety (If you gonna have one have a big one :p)
We'll shoot tomorrow or Friday

Well finally I used a 17 round magazine and had two failures to eject, after 3 rounds in the second magazine anther faire to eject, but this time I could not quite rack the slide back once I re-inserted the magazine. Cannot lock it back either. I'll da o a little trouble shooting with better light, but it looks like this one is headed to Prescott.

Oh it did seem accurate and I was using junky ammo.

Yep, I can certainly post some pictures. And I can also let you try it out at the gun club.

As you can see, the American Compact is very similar to so many other polymer pistols of the same size. I wont say any one is better than the other, any more than I could tell a feller in Idaho that my Dodge or Ford is any better than his Chevy. I will say that I've owned or shot many different pistols in this class, and for me, this one is my favorite. It really has a nice trigger. It really is compact. And for a double stack, my finger still reaches the trigger. So I don't know how they've adjusted the geometry, but it works well for me. There are three different size grip modules. With my short but very wide fingers, the smallest module works best for me. There is a finger hook that came on the 12-round magazine. I still can't get all my fingers on the grip comfortably, so I've elected to use just the flat plate on the bottom of this magazine, and I curl my little finger below the magazine. That's how I shoot most guns anyway. And if a guy wanted to use the 17-round magazine, then he could get all his fingers on the grip, regardless of his finger size.

View attachment 320715

View attachment 320716

View attachment 320717

View attachment 320718
View attachment 320719

View attachment 320720

View attachment 320721

WAYNO.:cool:

You mentioned that you really like the trigger. How did it compare to the Walther PPQ out of the box?

Well it was about a ten day turn around, but I got my Ruger American Compact back Saturday. FedEx tried to deliver it Wednesday and Thursday (Found out my Doorbell is broke) and they got it here Saturday. The return process was fairly easy, I had first emailed them over the Thanksgiving Holidays and as soon as they returned to work they e-mailed me and asked me to call. I did and the lady on the other end was well acquainted with word like 'Thing-a-majig' and 'dodad', she also knew more formal proper words for the nomenclature as described in Ruger manuals. She acted as if experienced hearing from the inexperienced...a patient lady. To my particular gun's malady she replied 'Interesting'... anyway she e-mailed me a prepaid FedEx label. I just had to box it up and ship it off which I did.
They let me know they had it, but did not tell me it was coming back.
Anyway I got it and they said they replaced the guide rod and slide assembly and then test fired the gun using a full box of fifty 115 grain FMJ Black Hills ammunition. It seemed to me they were emphasizing the use of quality ammunition. Naturally I will continue shooting the crap ammo as I don't want it laying around. It will be awhile till I get a opportunity to shoot it again.
They sent a note back saying that after testing they had not done any cleaning except a courtesy wipe down and reminded me to clean and lubricate the gun. I have, and all seems ship shape (although the only ship I was ever on was a troopship, the USS General Pope, so how do I really know)
Glad it's home I expect good things.

An old thread, I know...

But figured I'd say again, there are still no dedicated owb leather holsters for this gun. Oh yes, the website shows the holsters for the full size model are usable for the shorter model. I'm sure they are. But a holster that sticks out nearly an inch past the barrel and slide kind've defeats the purpose of a shorter barrel and slide.

Holster Makers! Anybody listening?

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
An old thread, I know...

But figured I'd say again, there are still no dedicated owb holsters for this gun. Oh yes, the website shows the holsters for the full size model are usable for the shorter model. I'm sure they are. But a holster that sticks out nearly an inch past the barrel and slide kind've defeats the purpose of a shorter barrel and slide.

WAYNO.

A custom kydex maker can do one for you pretty easy I'd wager. I had a few made up a couple weeks ago that fit great.

Not for your gun, mind, but I did have one made for the house gun with a giant light that I thought would be extremely complicated to get done. Fits excellent.

Procraft Tactical in Albany made mine, I highly recommend him in case you do not have a maker nearby.

"Nifty" kydex patterns as well.

A custom kydex maker can do one for you pretty easy I'd wager. I had a few made up a couple weeks ago that fit great.

Not for your gun, mind, but I did have one made for the house gun with a giant light that I thought would be extremely complicated to get done. Fits excellent.

Procraft Tactical in Albany made mine, I highly recommend him in case you do not have a maker nearby.

"Nifty" kydex patterns as well.

I guess I've considered Kydex too long as a novelty. And I really have nothing to base it on, other than Crossbreed, which did not work well for me, so maybe I'm gonna have to look into what's available. Already, a feller on this forum has kindly offered to make one for me. My good Army upbringing will not allow me to carry a gun without some kind of positive retention. Can that be done with Kydex?

An old thread, I know...

But figured I'd say again, there are still no dedicated owb holsters for this gun. Oh yes, the website shows the holsters for the full size model are usable for the shorter model. I'm sure they are. But a holster that sticks out nearly an inch past the barrel and slide kind've defeats the purpose of a shorter barrel and slide.

WAYNO.
Alien GearHolsters for Ruger American Compact

and <broken link removed>

I have AG Cloak Mod OWB holsters for G29 and 33, XD 45 SC Mod 2, and Ruger American Compact. I like the ones for the Springfield and Glock's. I like the ones for the Springfield and Glock's........ not the Ruger American Compact. It can be rotated slightly in the holster, then it acts 'locked', move the grip (rotate away from body a degree or two) and it comes right out. IWB for the compact is a unknown for me, I think I will get a Cook's I have one for my Shield 45 in Carbon Fiber Killer Coyote and I like single clip Appendix carry I think, but have not tried it long term.

I guess I've considered Kydex too long as a novelty. And I really have nothing to base it on, other than Crossbreed, which did not work well for me, so maybe I'm gonna have to look into what's available. Already, a feller on this forum has kindly offered to make one for me. My good Army upbringing will not allow me to carry a gun without some kind of positive retention. Can that be done with Kydex?
Yes it can, but in a normal holster, Kydex is formed over and around the edge of your trigger guard giving a lot of retention. It won't just slip out, There are others like Blackhawk Sherpa with a Law Enforcement Level III retention. For police who like to wrestle with guys and not get their gun swiped.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads