JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If there's any question of the/a finished round not chambering properly, get just the barrel and drop a finished round in, if it falls with a "TINK" sound and falls out again when the barrel is turned up side down I consider it good to go.

Mike

Deadshot2:
Do you see the EXPANDER section of the expander plug? That whole 1/4-1/2" length at the bottom is the EXPANDER section, just like the RCBS. You'll note it is about the length of a seated bullet.
At the point where the expander section meets the main diameter, if you look closely, you will see a very small "flare" section that flares the case mouth.
Measure your sized case ID after sizing and then after expanding and you will see that the expander has actually expanded the case ID over at least most of the length of that the bullet will be seated. Note: again, not talking about the case mouth flare but the actual case ID say 1/8-1/4" below the case mouth.
Any one else understand what I am trying to say here? Is this too esoteric or something?

Deadshot2:
Do you see the EXPANDER section of the expander plug? That whole 1/4-1/2" length at the bottom is the EXPANDER section, just like the RCBS. You'll note it is about the length of a seated bullet.
At the point where the expander section meets the main diameter, if you look closely, you will see a very small "flare" section that flares the case mouth.
Measure your sized case ID after sizing and then after expanding and you will see that the expander has actually expanded the case ID over at least most of the length of that the bullet will be seated. Note: again, not talking about the case mouth flare but the actual case ID say 1/8-1/4" below the case mouth.
Any one else understand what I am trying to say here? Is this too esoteric or something?

Actually, that part you call the "expander" barely touches the case wall wen it enters the case and any, if at all, expansion occurs far short of the amount of case used by the bullet. A 9mm case is extremely rigid and the bullet, even swaged lead, plated, or jacketed, will expand the brass all that is needed when it is seated.

When I'm loading 9mm, I deprime the brass using an old Lee progressive with a universal depriming die. Cases are fed through a tube from my Dillon Case feeder. I deprime as many as 10,000 pieces at a time. They then get cleaned in batches and when ready to load I just fill the case feeder and load away. I don't measure any 9mm cases. The only measurement I bother with is OAL while setting or checking the seater die. ALL finished cartridges go through the Lee Factory Crimp Die before they fall into a huge bin that collects the finished rounds.

I will repeat, "This small "bulge" or "hour glass" shape is totally normal for reloaded 9mm ammo". One can get obsessive/compulsive over the measurements of a 9mm case but to me, it's wasted time that interferes with loading and shooting time.

I will also state that loading pistol rounds and rifle rounds have totally different requirements.

If you load it, it fits and cycles in your firearm, and it's accurate (as much as a semiautomatic 9mm can be), don't try and pick the "fly poop out of the ground pepper". That is unless you are one that loads each and every pistol round like it's a piece of jewelry, even to the point of wiping each round with a rag laced with some jewelers rouge.

If I'm going to get fussy, it's with my rifle rounds that I expect to shoot "bug holes" with, not my 9mm rounds that I practice "El Presidente" drills or "double taps" with at ranges up to a max of 25 yards.

""If you load it, it fits and cycles in your firearm, and it's accurate (as much as a semiautomatic 9mm can be), don't try and pick the "fly poop out of the ground pepper". That is unless you are one that loads each and every pistol round like it's a piece of jewelry, even to the point of wiping each round with a rag laced with some jewelers rouge.""

LOL

Hmmm....I loaded up 50 NEW Remington pre-primed nickle .38 cases with 124gr Montana Gold HPs, +P, they were sure pretty, seemed a shame to shoot 'em!

Mike

""If you load it, it fits and cycles in your firearm, and it's accurate (as much as a semiautomatic 9mm can be), don't try and pick the "fly poop out of the ground pepper". That is unless you are one that loads each and every pistol round like it's a piece of jewelry, even to the point of wiping each round with a rag laced with some jewelers rouge.""

LOL

Hmmm....I loaded up 50 NEW Remington pre-primed nickle .38 cases with 124gr Montana Gold HPs, +P, they were sure pretty, seemed a shame to shoot 'em!

Mike

But just think. If you don't shoot them you'll never have the fun of reloading them again. Isn't that what it's all about???

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top