JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well.....don't put your hopes on a rifle with a "counter bored barrel". LOL......you might just end up with a group that looks like this at 25 yards.

View attachment 1274992

BTW, the first ten shots were used as "sighters". This was actually my second ten.

Yeah....that same MN rifle that was put back into the standard stock with home modified trigger and muzzle brake that flew off.

BUT, But, but......not all groups will be tight.

View attachment 1274982

Must be a fluke.....or just lucky maybe.

View attachment 1274985

Take your Mosin shooting.

View attachment 1274988

View attachment 1274991

View attachment 1275000

Run with what you brung. Anyway....it's all for fun (even at only 25 yards).

View attachment 1274989

Aloha, Mark
Oh yeah I aim to just take it out as is, and run a few diff loads through it. I have Russian 188 as well and some Czech 54R, also Yugo and about 120rnds of S&B 175gr " tactical" ammo. (That HAS to shoot the best.. Because "tactical" is always the best) ;)
I really just bought it for the brass cased reloadable brass. I also have some legit mil spec API I want to load up and also about 100-200 rounds of some mil spec tracer my buddy gave me, not that el crappo gun show tracer stuff that's garbage. So will be interesting to kinda see what's what.

If those all shoot garbage (minus the api and tracer for obvious reasons) then I'm chopping off the counter bored barrel section and shortening the barrel to hopefully stiffen it up.
If all fails and its just a garbage rod maybe a new barrel at some point? Maybe.. Maybe I just sell all the parts and unload a cheap action and spare parts.
I'm too busy these days and honestly I hate projects at this point. Got too many. That's why I have had this thing for probably ten years and put only maybe 5 rounds through it ever.

I only paid $75 for it as part of a massive reloading bundle so really it was almost free, I can't really complain or lose either way. I'd be happy to pay it forward if things go south.
My eyes are going down hill kinda fast (thanks smart phones) but I can still pull a somewhat decent group every now and then @ 100 yards/m.

Oh yeah I aim to just take it out as is, and run a few diff loads through it. I have Russian 188 as well and some Czech 54R, also Yugo and about 120rnds of S&B 175gr " tactical" ammo. (That HAS to shoot the best.. Because "tactical" is always the best) ;)
I really just bought it for the brass cased reloadable brass. I also have some legit mil spec API I want to load up and also about 100-200 rounds of some mil spec tracer my buddy gave me, not that el crappo gun show tracer stuff that's garbage. So will be interesting to kinda see what's what.

If those all shoot garbage (minus the api and tracer for obvious reasons) then I'm chopping off the counter bored barrel section and shortening the barrel to hopefully stiffen it up.
If all fails and its just a garbage rod maybe a new barrel at some point? Maybe.. Maybe I just sell all the parts and unload a cheap action and spare parts.
I'm too busy these days and honestly I hate projects at this point. Got too many. That's why I have had this thing for probably ten years and put only maybe 5 rounds through it ever.

I only paid $75 for it as part of a massive reloading bundle so really it was almost free, I can't really complain or lose either way. I'd be happy to pay it forward if things go south.
My eyes are going down hill kinda fast (thanks smart phones) but I can still pull a somewhat decent group every now and then @ 100 yards/m.
I own 11 Mosins, one is a wall hanger, several will shoot to Mil Surp specs and several will shot to MOA
the best ammo I found was Brown Bear 174 gn for my sniper, but my Finn M28 and M39 shoot better with 200 grn LVE ammo
I also have a crate of Russian 188, but don't use it for accuracy verification
each Mosin has it's own preference
but I do recommend these accurizing kits - and torque your action screws for best accuracy - I torque mine to 45 in/lbs to start
good luck

I turned in my smart phone when I retired 2 years ago - haven't picked up one since
doesn't matter, they don't work where I live anyway

RE : Post #42
Canvas Strip for accuracy

I can still remember that first time, with my newly purchased Mosin Nagant. I purchased mine from Big 5. It was an Izhevsk-hex receiver model, covered in cosmoline. IIRC, it cost me about $105. And, look at all the extras that it came with. What a deal!

When I took it apart for cleaning. I found that canvas strip under the barrel. I also found the metal shims. But, the metal shims, made sense to me. So anyway.....about that canvas strip. I thought about it for a short while. WHY the canvas? It probably retains a good amount of moisture (if/when it's wet). Promoting rust. So, it went into the trash.

Perhaps, I should have taken it shooting before trashing it?

Yeah.....there are many things that I still don't/didn't/might never fully understand about anything. And I continue to make mistakes.

i-know-nothing-nothing.jpg

Whatever. The adventures with my "sticky bolt" were just about to begin.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
RE : Post #42
Canvas Strip for accuracy

I can still remember that first time, with my newly purchased Mosin Nagant. I purchased mine from Big 5. It was an Izhevsk-hex receiver model, covered in cosmoline. IIRC, it cost me about $105. And, look at all the extras that it came with. What a deal!

When I took it apart for cleaning. I found that canvas strip under the barrel. I also found the metal shims. But, the metal shims, made sense to me. So anyway.....about that canvas strip. I thought about it for a short while. WHY the canvas? It probably retains a good amount of moisture (if/when it's wet). Promoting rust. So, it went into the trash.

Perhaps, I should have taken it shooting before trashing it?

Yeah.....there are many things that I still don't fully understand about anything. And I continue to make mistakes.

i-know-nothing-nothing.jpg

Whatever. The adventures with my "sticky bolt" were just beginning.

Aloha, Mark
I used the canvas the first time, since that's what the Russians did
I now use oil soaked cork
and if your Mosin came with canvas and shims, it's a decommissioned sniper

My first mosin had sticky bolt. I took a chamber brush with steel wool wound around the brush to it, probably with some kind of solvent like lacquer thinned etc and it come out 100% resolved. Zero stick after words. So its either lacquer build up from the cases or maybe some kind of varnish for preservation?? Like the varnish that's all over the stocks and metal pieces

RE : "Sniper or Ex-Sniper"

I figure that......the matching mounted scope, the drilled and/or the drilled & filled receiver holes, were more of the "tell" (Sniper or Ex-Sniper).

Then again......yup, matched parts and all that. So Rrrright......

Like that National Match Op rod on an M1 Garand doesn't impress me. Just give me a little more proof.

BUT, But, but.....If it's got a scope = SNIPER.
Yeah, Rrrrrright.....
Like how some liberals think that all rifles are potential sniper weapons. Rrrrright..... Like as if they needed another excuse to ban more gun-related stuff.

Aloha, Mark

PS...... They're importing and selling Carcanos again!!!!

OMG!

RE : "Sniper or Ex-Sniper"

I figure that......the matching mounted scope, the drilled and/or the drilled & filled receiver holes, were more of the "tell" (Sniper or Ex-Sniper).

Then again......yup, matched parts and all that. So Rrrright......

Like that National Match Op rod on an M1 Garand doesn't impress me. Just give me a little more proof.

BUT, But, but.....If it's got a scope = SNIPER.
Yeah, Rrrrrright.....
Like how some liberals think that all rifles are potential sniper weapons. Rrrrright..... Like as if they needed another excuse to ban more gun-related stuff.

Aloha, Mark

PS...... They're importing and selling Carcanos again!!!!

OMG!
unfortunately Izhevsk didn't mark their sniper select receivers like Tula did
mine's a Tula decommissioned sniper - has the filled in holes from the PE scope mount

P1030654.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads