JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RE : MN and my Timney Trigger

I got a Timney in my parts box somewhere. Not selling. But, there is a reason....why it's currently in a parts box. I got it awhile back, looking like this......

View attachment 1272838

I wanted it because, at the time.....it came with an Archangel stock and it looked "bubblegumin" (to me). The Timney trigger and the muzzle brake was just "extra frosting on the cake". Not to mention, that the entire package came at a good price.

BUT, But, but......it shot like cr@p.

Then one day, while shooting it the muzzle brake flew off. OMG, the groups improved. Hummm? So then, the muzzle brake stayed off and I also changed out the action into another surplus MN stock and removed the trigger too. The groups were still good enough (for me).

So there it is today, back to "stock configuration".

Aloha, Mark
I have enough Mosin stocks, action and parts off eBay to play around for accuracy
I use my PEM sniper as a baseline of what Mosin can do
if you take your time with inletting, the Timney trigger can be a fine addition to any Mosin Rifle
you will note I cut the Timney safety off my trigger assy - still have the stock Mosin safety
did not have to destroy the stock to get the trigger in that way
also, I like to see the looks on shooters faces when they touch off the trigger on my PEM
one can not tell there is a Timney in the Belly of the Beast

P1030882.JPG

it's dark out here now, will send photos of the finished Mosin Project tomorrow
then I want to see how much better I can see and shoot with this MOJO apperature sight with my Mark 1 Mod 1 72 year old eyeballs
will start at 35 yrds and work my way back until I cant see the target anylonger
an NRA HP reduced range 100 yrds target has a 6.35" 9 rings for 100 yrds - I can paint such on Costco 10" paper plates
will let you know - with photos

RE : MN and my Timney Trigger

I got a Timney in my parts box somewhere. Not selling. But, there is a reason....why it's currently in a parts box. I got it awhile back, looking like this......

View attachment 1272838

I wanted it because, at the time.....it came with an Archangel stock and it looked "bubblegumin" (to me). The Timney trigger and the muzzle brake was just "extra frosting on the cake". Not to mention, that the entire package came at a good price.

BUT, But, but......it shot like cr@p.

Then one day, while shooting it the muzzle brake flew off. OMG, the groups improved. Hummm? So then, the muzzle brake stayed off and I also changed out the action into another surplus MN stock and removed the trigger too. The groups were still good enough (for me).

So there it is today, back to "stock configuration".

Aloha, Mark
Nice! That's evolution don't cha know! 😄 yeah I'm not going too crazy. First off I REALLY appreciate the heads up. Secondly I don't think I would ever put a brake on it unless maybe it was a tuner brake after I got it threaded (fat chance! Esp. anytime in the next 2-3 decades) its already conterbored so I'm thinking its crap accuracy and cutting it shorter past the front sight and scoping it (maybe) but all home made stuff, I have nice rail sections and really quality taps for scope mounts and a buddy with a mill to borrow if needed for small easy low hanging fruit if I'm in a pinch. But if it even remotely looks like a head ache I don't have the time or money really. So its piece by piece as long as it improves I buy the next.
I just got a new job tonight so hopefully soon I'll be able to resume this project. I still have some industry discounts good till the end of the year I'd like to use so that's part of it.

I have enough Mosin stocks, action and parts off eBay to play around for accuracy
I use my PEM sniper as a baseline of what Mosin can do
if you take your time with inletting, the Timney trigger can be a fine addition to any Mosin Rifle
you will note I cut the Timney safety off my trigger assy - still have the stock Mosin safety
did not have to destroy the stock to get the trigger in that way
also, I like to see the looks on shooters faces when they touch off the trigger on my PEM
one can not tell there is a Timney in the Belly of the Beast

View attachment 1272840
Somewhat unrelated but wholly smokes! I shot my buddies glock with the new timney trigger in it last weekend on our trip and i m pretty sure I premature fired first shot BOTH times.. It was stupid light for a glonck pistol. I installed it for him and forgot how light it was several months later.
I have a Apex full kit, and a lone wolf adjustable I moded and they are both fairly close. I will say I like both of mine better. His is WAY too light. Zero wall or hint of breaking, just about the weight of the safety paddle take up and BAM surprise surprise. I don't often shoot and look at my friend but Jesus. Kinda scary. I'm glad he likes it.. Its not for me, but I like more of a intentional/predictable break.

I don't have too many "fancy triggers" just a couple larue MBT's & a couple gieselle DMR's. So I'll admit I'm a newb. No shame in it, Just the way it is.

it's dark out here now, will send photos of the finished Mosin Project tomorrow
then I want to see how much better I can see and shoot with this MOJO apperature sight with my Mark 1 Mod 1 72 year old eyeballs
will start at 35 yrds and work my way back until I cant see the target anylonger
an NRA HP reduced range 100 yrds target has a 6.35" 9 rings for 100 yrds - I can paint such on Costco 10" paper plates
will let you know - with photos
RE : Targets

I use this free web sight for printable rifle (and pistol) targets.

https://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html
Just print one up. Then, head out to copier store. I've found that it's faster and cheaper that way.

YES......for me 25 yards and it's all about the black circle. Mostly I use the SR-1, SR-21 and MR-31c.

And, it's also good enough for pistol shooting at 25 yards. Not counting the scoring rings of course.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
in 1991, I was on the NRA winning HP team for the 1000 yrd shoot at Ft Lewis
Iron sights - M1 Garand - 156 out of 200 - but I lost 2 shots in the mirage when the clouds came over - 20 points in the dirt
yet today, I hope to keep it in the black at 50 yrds with iron sights
getting old just sucks!!

RE : Post #28

My eye doctor said that at my age......I should consider that maybe cataracts are just around the corner. So.....do I really want to spend the money now?

Yup......(like rjmt said) gettin' old sucks.

Aloha, Mark

Here's the photo of the rifle
started as a stock '32 91/30
now late model laminated stock
Tula sniper bolt with bent handle lapped to the '32 receiver
polished Russian sear
receiver shimmed
barrel floated to cork at muzzle
Smith Sights front adjustable target sight
Mojo aperture rear sight
Huber adjustable trigger - adjusted to break at 4 lbs
note the dual cross bolts for added stability

hope to get down the field to test for accuracy on Saturday
but daily project add up quickly when you have 5 acres of land

P1030590.JPG 20220908_115516.jpg 20220908_115524.jpg 20220908_115635.jpg

Nice Mosin, I sorta did the same thing about 6 yrs ago, ended up puttting it in a Archangle chassis though, it shoots pretty good about 2 inch groups at 200 yards with match grade ammo, sad to say is no longer being made, over 3 inch groups at 100 yards using milsurp ammo

Which, the ammo or the archangel stock? I read tons of reviews that those archangel conversions never got their mags to work properly.
Yeah the ammo dude, yup on the mags, they are indeed kind of weird, i have about 20 of them, none of them will stay loaded, the spring/follower pushed the ammo out,...but, ......but, once they are loaded and you insert them on a closed bolt into the rifle, they work like a charm, none of my mags will fail to feed, so i just keep a bit of painters tape on them until i need to use them. I have given up trying fix them, there are like 100 solutions on youtube, but none of them work really. I think it just a inherent poor design.

I read on a collectors site that one should loosen the action screws on the receiver before putting your rifle up for long term storage
this keeps the wood from compressing over time
anyone else heard of this?
I retorque my Mosins before any shooting session

all the Mosins I bought had loose screws when I took them out of the box, so I know the Russian's and Ukrainians did so

I have used several of these kits

I read on a collectors site that one should loosen the action screws on the receiver before putting your rifle up for long term storage

all the Mosins I bought had loose screws when I took them out of the box, so I know the Russian's and Ukrainians did so
" However, a lot of rifles have accuracy issues as a result of poor stock fitment. This problem is caused by a number of reasons. Most commonly it is due to wood compression"

Yeah I was told that as well

Well.....don't put your hopes on a rifle with a "counter bored barrel". LOL......you might just end up with a group that looks like this at 25 yards.

1662947491547.jpeg

BTW, the first ten shots were used as "sighters". This was actually my second ten.

Yeah....that same MN rifle that was put back into the standard stock with home modified trigger and muzzle brake that flew off.

BUT, But, but......not all groups will be tight.

1662946821443.jpeg

Must be a fluke.....or just lucky maybe.

1662946926299.jpeg

Take your Mosin shooting.

1662947016509.jpeg

1662947285232.jpeg

1662948027928.jpeg

Run with what you brung. Anyway....it's all for fun (even at only 25 yards).

1662947120250.jpeg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well.....don't put your hopes on a rifle with a "counter bored barrel". LOL......you might just end up with a group that looks like this at 25 yards.

View attachment 1274992

BTW, the first ten shots were used as "sighters". This was actually my second ten.

Yeah....that same MN rifle that was put back into the standard stock with home modified trigger and muzzle brake that flew off.

BUT, But, but......not all groups will be tight.

View attachment 1274982

Must be a fluke.....or just lucky maybe.

View attachment 1274985

Take your Mosin shooting.

View attachment 1274988

View attachment 1274991

Run with what you brung. Anyway....it's all for fun (even at only 25 yards).

View attachment 1274989

Aloha, Mark
I do believe that's an ex Dragoon
nice rifle
try a set of Mojo aperture sights for old eyes
I'm putting Mojo snap sights front and rear on my Finn M39

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show