JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have 1 but they are popular around here with the ranchers. And I'm hearing they are still in the 20-22 mpg range. Some claims of 25 or more but snickers from others.I think the only improvements are the new engines are quieter and burn cleaner
My neighbor has a 2010 or 11 Ford he says he gets 22+ from here to Reno or Reno to Phoenix.But now there is some other fluid you have to dump in another tank,raising you fuel cost.
Of course the biggest benefit of the diesels is longevity and fuel mileage when loaded heavy

That's why I ask. The people I know with them claim 20 until I see them hand calculate to around 12-16. I haven't seen a diesel pickup Crack 20 since generation 1 Cummins. My 6.0 did a honest 16 MPG once and somehow everyone else with a 6.0 gets 22 while drag racing on 44" tires.:rolleyes:

My dad has a 2012 F350 4 X 4, 4 door long bed with the 6.7L. I just called and ask him how his does. He said to preface it with he drives a bit fast and loves to floor it going up a steep hill. His computer says the lifetime average of his 70,000 miles is 13 MPG. He said in California where is forced to drive a bit slower on a long trip he gets 17 or 18, when he comes to Washington from Idaho he its a little less because he can drive faster. He has never got 20+ Towing a trailer he gets 11-12 MPH

I have a 04 6.0L and I get around 16 MPH on the freeway, With a real heavy trailer ( 26K gross between truck and trailer) I got around 8 MPG, normally with a average trailer I get 11-12. Stop and go driving around Seattle I get 14 unloaded. I have had the truck since 04, I have done all the preventive stuff to toughen it up. The mileage has actually improved slightly over the 11 years I have owned it. I dont drive it much, it only has 130K on it while I put 20K+ a year on my daily driver but I cant see spending $60K on basically the same truck. I am hoping to get another 10 years out of this one.

My theory is on all the guys claiming to get 23 MPG with a one ton truck is they either never go above 50 MPH or they are flat out lying.

I had a 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins for awhile that got 22 MPG overall while pulling a ski boat and all our camping gear down I-5 at between 65 and 72 mph.

That 5.9 Cummins was a damn near perfect engine for towing or pulling; and just driving it in town it would only need filled about 1 time every 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. In town was about 16 to 18 MPG.

The new diesels are a PITA with all of the particulate filters and exhaust fluid injections and such to keep them running clean. The engines before those changes in the law were exempt from testing.:D

Looking at getting another one soon.

I read somewhere that the most honest person in the world would still lie about his gas mileage.:rolleyes:

But here's the truth...I know it's not a "new" diesel truck, but my 02 Dodge diesel with a manual transmision gets 17MPG almost all the time. I write down in my little book every drop of fuel I've ever put in it, and I calculate my mileage every time. My buddy with the newer Dodge diesel claims 19 MPG, with an automatic. And I know from experience he drives like an old woman. So is his better mileage because of the newer engine, or is it because he drives so slow?

WAYNO.

My 2010 Tacoma gets an average of 16, If you drive the speed limit long term with the cruse set you can eek out 19 or 20 but its tough.
I have a 2013 Tacoma and its the same as you described. Sure wish Toyota would start importing that Hilux w/diesel everyone else on the planet gets.

I read some time ago that every 5 MPH over 65 you drive in a diesel reduces your efficiency by 3 MPG.

Ive never tested as its impossible to drive under 65 and maintain sanity

04 Dodge 3500 Cummins w/6 speed manual, only work I've done to it is take out the cat and muffler..so its 4" all the way. Cold air intake, and a K&N. Get's 22mpg no problem. Cruising at 65 it goes up a tad. And not using the computer..I'm actually pretty pleased with it.

Oh that's with my wife driving it...I get in and it drops to 16!

I get 12-14 in town and 18-19 unloaded milking it on a long trip. 2011 cummins ram crew cab long bed with 285/75R17 Toyos AT on it. Gets 10-11 with camper or heavy trailer.

The DEF fluid mentioned earlier is technically something that would need to be tallied in to the fuel cost but it is pretty negligible in the big picture. Be aware that newer diesels don't like short trips. Do a search for "diesel regen problems" and spend a few minutes reading. Not saying there's anything wrong with newer diesels. They make tons of power and get good MPG, but in order to do this they have to employ additional emissions systems to meet federal standard. Those systems add complexity and cost.

Sorry if that's a bit of a tangent but it really should be considered by anyone shopping for a new diesel. If you do a lot of heavy hauling for long distances then they are a great fit. If you run short trips or just want to impress your friends, you may want to reevaluate.

Two of the guys at work have Dodge/Ram pickups and one has had to have 3-4 power steering boxes put in by the dealer under warrenty the other guy 1 new steering box and 2 transmissions. Both of them are driving a junker Honda to work because either their 2-4 year old pickups are at the dealer or its something else is wrong with them. Granted both have larger tires and multiple modifications.

My little 3.9L V6 Dakota gets 18-19 commuting on country roads and 20-21 at 70 on long trips on the freeway. And I can get through the drive through at any coffee or hamburger stand LOL.

Two of the guys at work have Dodge/Ram pickups and one has had to have 3-4 power steering boxes put in by the dealer under warrenty the other guy 1 new steering box and 2 transmissions. Both of them are driving a junker Honda to work because either their 2-4 year old pickups are at the dealer or its something else is wrong with them. Granted both have larger tires and multiple modifications.

My little 3.9L V6 Dakota gets 18-19 commuting on country roads and 20-21 at 70 on long trips on the freeway. And I can get through the drive through at any coffee or hamburger stand LOL.

But it wont pull a single one of my 5 trailers, which is the only reason to own a diesel truck in my opinion.

So when you want to get chicks, you borrow your buddy's truck?:D

Seriously, I know there's lots of vehicles that get far superior mileage. But sometimes I gotta haul or tow things.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I have a 96 GMC 6.5HD 5spd stick with a 4" exhaust, small tires. I do get 20MPG w/an empty truck on flat ground.
My friend has a 97 Dodge diesel w/the old chip, short bed, 5spd stick, small tires, and it gets over 20MPG, it's an old farm truck and he has turned down $10K for it

If you looking at new and are towing heavy I'd seriously look at the Ram 3500 with the Asian Transmission. A true medium duty engine and transmission combo. I don't think Ford or GM can touch it. Rams have there own issues, I'm just talking powertrain.

If you looking at new and are towing heavy I'd seriously look at the Ram 3500 with the Asian Transmission. A true medium duty engine and transmission combo. I don't think Ford or GM can touch it. Rams have there own issues, I'm just talking powertrain.
You really feel Asian transmission is worth it? Ram is offering three automatics for some reason? ..I pondered finding a six speed manual but my left knee is not in the greatest shape.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top