JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now that I'm back to a computer instead of my phone I'll elaborate my position a bit.

I'm not ignorant to diesels, I've had/ have between 12-15 of them. I've had a ATS built drag race 1994 Cummins pickup, I have done a couple Cummins swaps into other makes and built and repaired many. I totally get how awesome the older diesel engines are ESPESSIALLY the 12V P-pump Cummins. That's just old news for me and I'm on to a new chapter. Almost everyone in my family has a diesel pickup of various years and makes except the very latest generations so I get lots of real world experience with them. I even occasionally get to go to the fuel station with the guy who "Gets 24MPG towing" until I'm with him and some how running the numbers through a calculator it drops to 14.... The excuses get good at that point while others are no BS realists.

With all that said, The oldest model year I see getting will be a 2015, I want a warranty, I want to fart in the seat first. I want to jump in and go and if it takes a crap I don't have to cringe and worry.

A couple other notes. I will probably put a leveling kit on it with custom wheels and 34" tires about like my current pickup. I plan on putting my Protech flatbed on it as I use my truck a lot and hard. I will sacrifice some mileage for tires that will get me to my remote properties.

I wont and don't expect it to be a 1996 with a 12V, I know I have to dump cow piss in it, I think I'm okay with all that nonsense.

I don't care what mileage your Tacoma, Corolla, Porsche, moped or mini bike gets.

I do want to have legit information before doing something like this, Its a heck of a lot of money to spend that I should be making work for me in other ways, I want to make a reasonable decision but hey... we only get one turn at life right?...

I appreciate all the topical and prudent info guys, Thank you and keep it coming.

i am a GM certified technician. i work for capitol chev/cadillac in salem. 2015 chev dmax have been good so far as far as how often i see them in for repair. i see a lot of XM antennas leak water into the cab fixed under warranty. i havent seen any with more than 50k miles on them yet so i really have no input on longevity. in previous model years with the LB7, LMM, LBZ, and LML ive seen some with +350k miles on original powertrain components. early years of LB7 had injector problems and ive seen numerous turbocharger replacements on LBZ and LMM engines. 2011 was the first year of the DEF fluid in the LML engine IIRC and we seem to have the most problems with that specific year as far as the after treatment system. i honestly think its a software issue that hasnt been resolved. not a whole lot of 6 speed Allison problems. in 6 years ive seen maybe 5 or 6 of them replaced. ive only seen one dmax engine replaced and it was a LB7 with bad headgaskets and 500k miles. most of our customers with high mileage also have a long list of scheduled maintenance with us too. i strongly believe scheduled maintenance is key to longevity.

anyway, i'll keep my eye out and see if i can get an average of what mileage people are getting via the driver information center of their trucks.

good luck!

Much appreciated. My brother runs Duramax, The engine has been fantastic for sure, I doubt I will go with a GM Product just because of the front suspension. While I know they ride nice durability is lacking to say the least when larger tires are employed. We've proven it time and time again. I was a die hard Chevrolet man for many years. I haven't ruled them out completely though.

Much appreciated. My brother runs Duramax, The engine has been fantastic for sure, I doubt I will go with a GM Product just because of the front suspension. While I know they ride nice durability is lacking to say the least when larger tires are employed. We've proven it time and time again. I was a die hard Chevrolet man for many years. I haven't ruled them out completely though.
Fords Have the worst front ends by far.

Seems like we do the most balljoints in Dodges and the most hub assemblies in Fords. The GM frontend work we do seems to be on vehicles that are 15+ years old. Rams like the steering brace upgrades. They all have their issues.

Jluck, I think you should just drive all the new ones and buy what you like. The power, economy and warranties vary a little but are in the same ballpark.

Listen it's easy.
Chevys are the most reliable. But you'll think there girly looking.
Sometimes chubby women make the best wives.

Not been my experience at all, My Ford has had its issues but compared to the Duramax my friend owns its been perfect. He has been through three Chevys since I bought my Ford, all with catastrophic issues in less than 150K miles. I wouldn't buy one just based on his experience.

I bought my Titan new in 2005. With the factory MAY-POP tires it got 17-19 MPG.
After I put mud tires on. It gets 13-15 mpg.

I only Have 63,000 on it. So the fuel cost is not a big deal anyways.
And I don't expect it will be with the next truck. I don't drive like I did when I was young.

I am wanting to test drive a new Diesel Titan when the weather gets better.
But I really hate smelling diesel and will most likely just keep my old titan?

I bought my Titan new in 2005. With the factory MAY-POP tires it got 17-19 MPG.
After I put mud tires on. It gets 13-15 mpg.

I only Have 63,000 on it. So the fuel cost is not a big deal anyways.
And I don't expect it will be with the next truck. I don't drive like I did when I was young.

I am wanting to test drive a new Diesel Titan when the weather gets better.
But I really hate smelling diesel and will most likely just keep my old titan?
That head gasket should blow any day now... ;)

That head gasket should blow any day now... ;)

Don't kid me. It probably will! :s0140:
And I'm huge on maintenance.

I never owned a manual transmission car I didn't need to put a clutch in.
Just did my 2000 Corvette at 21,000 miles. That was B.S!

And I've needed to do a bunch of head gaskets [Mostly on other family members cars].
Even DOHC heads don't bother me now.

So I'm also a car Medic. :s0155:

Last Edited:
Seems like we do the most balljoints in Dodges and the most hub assemblies in Fords. The GM frontend work we do seems to be on vehicles that are 15+ years old. Rams like the steering brace upgrades. They all have their issues.

Jluck, I think you should just drive all the new ones and buy what you like. The power, economy and warranties vary a little but are in the same ballpark.
Supposedly Ram made huge improvements on the front ends of the 14 and newer with bigger and better ball joints.

Don't kid me. It probably will! :s0140:
And I'm huge on maintenance.

I never owned a manual transmission car I didn't need to put a clutch in.
Just did my 2000 Corvette at 21,000 miles. That was B.S!

And I've needed to do a bunch of head gaskets [Mostly on other family members cars].
Even DOHC heads don't bother me now.

So I'm also a car Medic. :s0155:
vette trannys are much easier to remove on a lift. literally we have a support fixture that attaches to the tranny jack that holds the rear suspension,tranny and torque tube all at once. it looks like a giant turret gun when its out lol. for manual vettes i just get it all loose and slide it all back just enough to get the clutch out.

Deisels are for people that need them, and have to keep up the maintence cause there needed. 90% of us don't need them. And that's why gas engines are on the comeback now...

the new dodges are turds until u take all the emission stuff off. the d-max(being a chev tech i am most familliar with) make good power and mileage but neither is anywhere near their full potential until you add the aftermarket programmer and a couple other mods to it. am i encouraging people to modify their brand new truck? no, im just sayin from what ive seen first hand.

edited for spelling
I heard Chevy treated that engine like they were the Pentagon with a new plane and F#@*ed it up.
I have run many a machine with an Isuzu in it and they are very nice machines. Let Isuzu put it back to what it should be and have a great engine

I heard Chevy treated that engine like they were the Pentagon with a new plane and F#@*ed it up.
I have run many a machine with an Isuzu in it and they are very nice machines. Let Isuzu put it back to what it should be and have a great engine
the EPA is f'n them up. GM has to meet emission standards while off highway engines typically do not

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top