JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you agree with Krueger on the Hunting vs WROL approach? I wanna get 10k down range in whatever I settle into for my tactical rig. With that said I bet it gets real expensive real quick hauling through 30-06

I'm a bolt gun guy, I don't have anything against EBRs (evil black rifles) I just never got into them. With my bolt Tikka T3 rifles I can do this:

IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG

all day long. Now, that's not to say that you can't do that with an AR, I've seen guys that do this and better. I just prefer the bolt platform.

Regarding your rifle choice, I'd look really hard at the Tikka. That's all I buy these days. In my experience they're the most accurate rifle out of the box, with the best factory trigger I've ever squeezed. Handloading for them is boring, they shoot just about anything.

P

I'm a bolt gun guy, I don't have anything against EBRs (evil black rifles) I just never got into them. With my bolt Tikka T3 rifles I can do this:

View attachment 427068
View attachment 427069
View attachment 427070
View attachment 427072

all day long. Now, that's not to say that you can't do that with an AR, I've seen guys that do this and better. I just prefer the bolt platform.

Regarding your rifle choice, I'd look really hard at the Tikka. That's all I buy these days. In my experience they're the most accurate rifle out of the box, with the best factory trigger I've ever squeezed. Handloading for them is boring, they shoot just about anything.

P

Love my Tikka!! Nice groups!

Greetings, Welcome to the sight! I'm with SKrueger and pharmseller, GET a TIKKA!!!! Best Bolt action for the price and a Legendary SAKO Barrel to go along with it! My vote is also .30/06, I run a T-3 Super Varmint in .30/06 and have no regrets what so ever. Slightly heavier then some, but still fairly light compared to others! Where I hunt, shots can be any distance from 30 inches to 600 meters, so I demand accuracy at range, TIKKA makes that job a lot easier, and a good piece of glass ether a Vortex DiamondBack, or a SWFA will fill the bill quite nicely!
Pay Attention @SKrueger, THIS is how a Tikka should be equipped! LOL
This one has a 22 inch barrel and a Reflex Hybrid Maxim suppressor and a Nikon 3X9X40 on QD rings, with Suppressor, it's 9 pounds 4 oz!!!
170706122157005-1.jpg

Greetings, Welcome to the sight! I'm with SKrueger and pharmseller, GET a TIKKA!!!! Best Bolt action for the price and a Legendary SAKO Barrel to go along with it! My vote is also .30/06, I run a T-3 Super Varmint in .30/06 and have no regrets what so ever. Slightly heavier then some, but still fairly light compared to others! Where I hunt, shots can be any distance from 30 inches to 600 meters, so I demand accuracy at range, TIKKA makes that job a lot easier, and a good piece of glass ether a Vortex DiamondBack, or a SWFA will fill the bill quite nicely!
This one has a 22 inch barrel and a Reflex Hybrid Maxim suppressor and a Nikon 3X9X40 on QD rings, with Suppressor, it's 9 pounds 4 oz!!!
View attachment 427101

Mine will look like that in the next nine months! :D

When you do, read this:

Mods I make to my Tikkas - www.ifish.net

I used to be on that board but I was bad so now I'm not welcome. But the info on the thread is good. Go to Whittaker Guns for the milled Talleys.

I could post more targets but it gets old pretty quick.

I bought two of my Tikkas used. They shoot.

P

Additional mods, TikkaShooters.com has several accessories to choose from, I upgrade to the Alloy bolt shroud and the bench rest bolt knob. I also swap out the recoil pad with ether a factory Remington 700 soft cell pad, or the Better Savage "Soft" pad, very close fit that can be fine tuned on a belt sander. Like pharmseller posted, when swapping out the pad, I mix up a bunch of saw dust with wood glue and poor that in the stock cavity, it doesn't add hardly any weight and really deadens the stock! You could also piller bed the action, but it's really not needed, the stocks are pretty good as they are! Finally, if you have a threaded barrel, consider adding a good flash hider or a brake. I prefer the flash hider, especially with a dawn or dusk shot so I can see through the shot to the animal and decide if a follow up might be needed!

The Can is a Reflex, so it extends back behind the muzzle by 5 1/2 inches! Makes the overall length quite a bit shorter, with only 7 inches forward of the muzzle crown! Total barrel length WITH the suppressor installed is 29 1/4 inches!!!

So my barrel is 18" and the can will be mounted making it 25.5 approximetly. ;)

View attachment 427101
That is a beautiful piece of equipment.

That's the sense I'm getting. My hope was to sell off about 5 or 6 to buy one or two. Now I'm cringing thinking about selling any of them.

Listen to that thought. You likely won't get 60% back on them. Better off trying trade for what fits your needs/wants now.
As for the hunting caliber, I would look at .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. No need for anything larger. Both will take an elk at distance if needed. 308 is cheaper to shoot but I have a fondness for the 6.5.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top