JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh Boy :(
Been there, done that and it took many years to recover.:(
Now I'm back.:D and into ARs but almost too old to enjoy them:rolleyes:
I've never let go of this one though... 38 Spl.jpg :p:p:p

Any of y'all hunt elk? I'd love some advice on what to look for. I want something reliable, reasonably priced, and effective in a fire fight. I want to get damn good at one gun and go from there.

Elk and cost effective I would go with a 30-06.

No elk in the world is going to survive a 180 grain Partition through the lungs.

To be fair, though, I've been in on 4 bulls (two of them mine) that fell to well-placed bullets from a 7mm-08, ranging from 68 yards to 407 yards. 6x5, 5x5 (and a big one he was), 4x4, and spike. None traveled more than 90 feet before tipping over.

IMG_2065.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
E7EE359D-7074-4E67-814A-B60AC3A94CB1.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG

It's where you shoot them that matters.

P

Thanks for the feedback @SKrueger any models you have in mind? This guys sure does look like fun..
Long Range 30-06 Semi-Auto Assassin

Not sure a 30-06 in a AR platform is cheap. I was thinking more of a bolt gun. ;) I would buy a bolt for hunting in 30-06 and then a AR15 for other SHTF scenario's the two together would be cheaper than the 30-06 AR.

Cool guns but heavy and not practical for Elk hunting, not to mention spendy! Get yourself a good bolt action in an appropriate caliber and don't look back. I have killed elk with bolt actions in270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 338 mag, 338 UM, 280, 280ai, 308 and 300wsm. The one thing I noticed was they all died quickly with very little tracking with a well place shot. Pick a caliber somewhere in this range that you shoot well and go kill an elk.

Edit: In the folly of youth I thought I needed a big ol magnum hence some of the cartridges I listed. Now you will find me using my 280ai with the .270 as my backup gun and they are plenty of gun and lend themselves to accurate shot placement.

Last Edited:
No elk in the world is going to survive a 180 grain Partition through the lungs.

To be fair, though, I've been in on 4 bulls (two of them mine) that fell to well-placed bullets from a 7mm-08, ranging from 68 yards to 407 yards. 6x5, 5x5 (and a big one he was), 4x4, and spike. None traveled more than 90 feet before tipping over.

View attachment 427056
View attachment 427058
View attachment 427057
View attachment 427055

It's where you shoot them that matters.

P
Do you agree with Krueger on the Hunting vs WROL approach? I wanna get 10k down range in whatever I settle into for my tactical rig. With that said I bet it gets real expensive real quick hauling through 30-06

Thanks @etrain16 It's more of a consolidation than anything, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. My buddy is now telling me to keep the m4 I have and train with that. Pick up a 30.06 for the Elk.

Have any thoughts?

Do you agree with Krueger on the Hunting vs WROL approach? I wanna get 10k down range in whatever I settle into for my tactical rig. With that said I bet it gets real expensive real quick hauling through 30-06

Other option would be go to a AR-10 platform. The .308 is more than capable of dropping a elk but the 30-06 is just a better big game caliber IMHO.

Thanks @etrain16 It's more of a consolidation than anything, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. My buddy is now telling me to keep the m4 I have and train with that. Pick up a 30.06 for the Elk.

Have any thoughts?

I'm not a hunter, but talking to folks I know that hunt, it's hard to go wrong with a .30-06 or .308 for what you want. I would agree with holding on to the M4 for now. You can pick up used bolt guns, good enough for what you want to do, pretty cheap right now. Assuming you're not looking to carry a long-range (500+ yards) gun, I'd expect you can find a decent knockaround hunting rifle that would get you through.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top