JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The .308 was design to do what the 30-06 does in a short action case. It does a pretty good job overall. The 30-06 is still a venerable round and would be a good choice if that's the way you go. IMO, you will find more rifles that shoot the 308 in a semi auto platform and would be my choice simply for ammo compatibility/sharing purposes.

@B5Ben I love the idea of 308, but the flexibility of 30.06 and the raw stopping power appeal to me. You feel like it's unnecessary for elk?
It's been said by elk guides, "Nothing smaller than 30-06 in my camp."
And the 308 guys chime in, but....but....with modern powders my 308 can equal 30-06.
Elk are tough. That's why .338 Magnum is such a popular elk cartridge.
It's a bone-breaker.
I've seen what a lesser cartridge can't do on an elk.....it piled up on the shoulder bone.

I know it's about shot placement and with a lesser cartridge, be accurate and pass up a shot if need be.
You don't want to lose a wounded animal because you were greedy.

Pro Tip:
Best not to tell the wife how many guns you have.
Works for me.

The only problem with the .308 for ELK is the Projectile weight, you really need heavy bone crushing bullets, and .308 really falls behind when weights go above 165 Gr! This is where the old Mighty Aught-6 has always held the advantages, and with hand loading it the .30/06 really shines! Not bashing the .308, I use the snot out of it, but like posted by others, SHOT placement really matters!
If I were in your shoes, trying to pick just one rifle that could be both a food harvesting tool AND a fighting tool, I would choose a FAL or M1-A or a new AR-308 and call it good! IF your more into light weight and handy, and your focuse would be more into game harvesting, You cannot go wrong with a Nice bolt Action. There are plenty of choices, I would choose a SAKO or Tikka, make an investment you will never loose any thing on, and have a fine rifle you can build a family history with! Others I would choose, A Nice Ruger M-77 HawkEye, or an Alaskan, or an Older Winchester Mod 70 classic! An early Remington Mod 700 CDL would be a good choice too, just make sure it's a Pre 1990 model in a cal you can find on the shelves!

I'm not a fan of any push feed.
The day may come when you find your Elk hunt, transition to a Bear hunt.

All in about 10 seconds! :eek:

Does tend to happen at the worst time don't it! How any one could hunt with one of those new fancy fangled Remington 700s is beyond me! LOL I saw the aftermath of a Hunter that had a shell fall out while trying to run his 700 Belted Magnum fast, Charging Moose changed that dudes tune about Controlled Round Feeding! I WILL NOT hunt Dangerous Game with out a Mauser type action!:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top