JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought the gun new from gunprime, but I feel the mags that came with it weren't the factory since 1 didn't feed properly, and the other was a a random 10 round magazine (I emailed gunprime about this and still haven't heard a word) which is why I bought the wilsons - but even with a friends semi used mec-gar mags I picked up from him, it didn't lock back once.

I went to the range by myself, so no one else has shot it, but I'll try gripping harder next time and see if that's the issue.

Edit: I self analyzing my gun hold I just realized I place my thumbs on the safety and the slide lock! This might very well be the issue since it locks back when I have an empty mag pulled back - will go to the range and shoot one handed and see if it continues.
Was just going to ask where your thumbs are riding? This was happening to me also when i first got a 1911. I thought it was a mag issue first also, but it was my thumb placement. I know everyone likes wilson combat mags, but i had problems with them. I have tried a bunch and found i prefer chip Mccormick and kimpro tac mags. In no way shape or form am i endorsing kimber 1911's. I owned three previously and all had major feeding problems no matter the mag or ammo used. But the kimpro tac mag has the strongest spring i have seen in any mag i have used and functions great in my new springfield loaded operator mc. So far 1150 rnds with no malfunctions. Very happy so far. One tid bit of advice for a 1911 or any other gun with a manual safety. Make sure you are constantly practicing taking the safety off with your draw. I constantly see guys at the ranges with 1911's and others that will never touch their safety the entire shooting session. Start creating the proper techniques now so you are not fumbling when you need it the most. Can't tell you how many guys i have seen in classes draw and can't figure out under minor stress why the gun won't fire. They forget about the safety because they never train to switch it off. Congrats on your first gun.

Last Edited:
Also consider practicing without your support hand.

Alot of practice to be done that may be hard for you to complete with the current ammo shortage. Try to shoot with a slow steady pace, even shooting with less than full mags.

During the last "SHORTAGE" , I came up with a competition when taking my kids out for shooting.
We were out in the woods, and had 2 stations to shoot from. We timed ourselves as we ran from station to station. The start point had the gun with open slide, we ran to a chair, dropped the slide, shot 2 rnds, ran to the 2nd station with empty gun, loaded the gun at the 2nd station and fired our 2 shots.

It was a hoot. The kids and I were having fun and getting range time in.

So... you got you a nice 1911. Please before you disassemble it find someone that KNOWS 1911's and have them coach you on how to disassemble and reassemble it. When evaluating if this person is the person you should have teaching these procedures ask if they know what an "idiot mark" is and how to prevent it, if not find a different coach.
This coach may also be able to help evaluate your firing grip (with the 1911 unloaded) at home.

So... you got you a nice 1911. Please before you disassemble it find someone that KNOWS 1911's and have them coach you on how to disassemble and reassemble it. When evaluating if this person is the person you should have teaching these procedures ask if they know what an "idiot mark" is and how to prevent it, if not find a different coach.
This coach may also be able to help evaluate your firing grip (with the 1911 unloaded) at home.

I love when I sell consigned and used Nighthawks, Wilson Combats, Old Colts, Randalls and Springfield Armory FBI Pro model 1911s that all have idiot marks. It makes for a great conversation.

I love when I sell consigned and used Nighthawks, Wilson Combats, Old Colts, Randalls and Springfield Armory FBI Pro model 1911s that all have idiot marks. It makes for a great conversation.
I love when I buy 1911's with idiot marks as long as the price is adequately discounted.

As long as it's a stainless steal gun.:s0062:

Blued it better be heavily discounted... :s0012:

Welcome! The 1911 is a very fine choice as a first gun, it will teach you the finer points of shooting as well as show you how a good a pistol should shoot. Do not fall for the hype or claims of others that 1911's don't run, don't make good defense guns, or any of that other crap! I have been running 1911's for 35 years, never having a problem with them, and never having one I couldn't fix easy when it got worn out! Learn what the "Idiot Mark" is, and learn how NOT to get one, forever marking your pistol as a rookies pistol!

I have only had this happen a few times and generally after a few hundred (500+) rounds of dirty blazer :eek:.

If you think it's the mags, I've got some Wilson's, an Ed Brown, and a boatload of Dan Wesson mags (made by checkmate, I believe).

You're more than welcome to try them in your gun should we ever meet up.

Also, glad to not be the only 9mm 1911 owner :D

Was just going to ask where your thumbs are riding? This was happening to me also when i first got a 1911. I thought it was a mag issue first also, but it was my thumb placement. I know everyone likes wilson combat mags, but i had problems with them. I have tried a bunch and found i prefer chip Mccormick and kimpro tac mags. In no way shape or form am i endorsing kimber 1911's. I owned three previously and all had major feeding problems no matter the mag or ammo used. But the kimpro tac mag has the strongest spring i have seen in any mag i have used and functions great in my new springfield loaded operator mc. So far 1150 rnds with no malfunctions. Very happy so far. One tid bit of advice for a 1911 or any other gun with a manual safety. Make sure you are constantly practicing taking the safety off with your draw. I constantly see guys at the ranges with 1911's and others that will never touch their safety the entire shooting session. Start creating the proper techniques now so you are not fumbling when you need it the most. Can't tell you how many guys i have seen in classes draw and can't figure out under minor stress why the gun won't fire. They forget about the safety because they never train to switch it off. Congrats on your first gun.

Got it! Being a newbie I def appreciate these pieces of advice since idk anyone here, thanks!

Also consider practicing without your support hand.

Alot of practice to be done that may be hard for you to complete with the current ammo shortage. Try to shoot with a slow steady pace, even shooting with less than full mags.

During the last "SHORTAGE" , I came up with a competition when taking my kids out for shooting.
We were out in the woods, and had 2 stations to shoot from. We timed ourselves as we ran from station to station. The start point had the gun with open slide, we ran to a chair, dropped the slide, shot 2 rnds, ran to the 2nd station with empty gun, loaded the gun at the 2nd station and fired our 2 shots.

It was a hoot. The kids and I were having fun and getting range time in.

Oh this definitely looks like fun, WSP a good practice during this crazy ammo shortage

i don't know anyone here since I just moved, but def will look up YouTube videos on it - I nevr heard of the idiot mark but glad I'm learning about it now that it's still brand new haha :D

yikeslol - I'll definitely try and learn to avoid that since I wouldn't want to be "that guy"

Welcome! The 1911 is a very fine choice as a first gun, it will teach you the finer points of shooting as well as show you how a good a pistol should shoot. Do not fall for the hype or claims of others that 1911's don't run, don't make good defense guns, or any of that other crap! I have been running 1911's for 35 years, never having a problem with them, and never having one I couldn't fix easy when it got worn out! Learn what the "Idiot Mark" is, and learn how NOT to get one, forever marking your pistol as a rookies pistol!

Yeah I heard the 1911 is more like a race car and needs appropriate care than just some regular boring car.

I could care less to get a glock as my first gun and wanted my first to be a classic, and happy I got the 1911 - now I just have to find some damn ammo to be able to practice more with It haha

I have only had this happen a few times and generally after a few hundred (500+) rounds of dirty blazer :eek:.

If you think it's the mags, I've got some Wilson's, an Ed Brown, and a boatload of Dan Wesson mags (made by checkmate, I believe).

You're more than welcome to try them in your gun should we ever meet up.

Also, glad to not be the only 9mm 1911 owner :D

Heck yeah! And being new to Oregon sucks since I don't know anyone here and definitely hope to meet the other gun enthusiasts on this forum in real life when I can find some ammo at good prices lol

I have a Range Officer Elite Champion in 9mm. Run it wet, especially during break in. My factory 9 round mags, Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick 10 rounders all lock back. It's an amazing shooter!

I have a Range Officer Elite Champion in 9mm. Run it wet, especially during break in. My factory 9 round mags, Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick 10 rounders all lock back. It's an amazing shooter!

hell yeah! I haven't seen anyone else own the same model! Ite just the best of all worlds to me - 1911 platform with good features and in a commander sizeAND in 9mm??I just knew It has to be my first firearm

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews