JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, first time gun owner here and finding this site has been a massive help! I wanted to see if someone could help me find out why my new SA Range Officer Elite Champion 9mm doesn't lock back on the last round.

This is my first firearms and I just bought it 2 weeks ago alongside brand new Wilson combat mags, and went to the range for the first time yesterday, and 90% of the time it failed to lock back after the last round? (I shot Browning 124gr 9mm brass).

Only time it's been used is the ~100 to ~200 times I dry fired it at home with the Mantis X3 on an EZ-Rail (since my 1911 doesn't have a rail), but use snap caps to not damage the gun. Is the dry firing bad for my 1911? are my mags bad? Not sure what the issue might be.

Thanks everyone for the help!

have you tried factory Springfield mags? although wilson mags are amongst the best, its possible the 9mm doesnt like'm. have you let someone else shoot it? does it lock back for them? if so, hold on to it tighter. also, its a stretch but is there any way you could be riding the slide release with your support hand? i say stretch because literally no ones thumbs are that long to reach the slide stop.

have you tried factory Springfield mags? although wilson mags are amongst the best, its possible the 9mm doesnt like'm. have you let someone else shoot it? does it lock back for them? if so, hold on to it tighter. also, its a stretch but is there any way you could be riding the slide release with your support hand? i say stretch because literally no ones thumbs are that long to reach the slide stop.

I bought the gun new from gunprime, but I feel the mags that came with it weren't the factory since 1 didn't feed properly, and the other was a a random 10 round magazine (I emailed gunprime about this and still haven't heard a word) which is why I bought the wilsons - but even with a friends semi used mec-gar mags I picked up from him, it didn't lock back once.

I went to the range by myself, so no one else has shot it, but I'll try gripping harder next time and see if that's the issue.

Edit: I self analyzing my gun hold I just realized I place my thumbs on the safety and the slide lock! This might very well be the issue since it locks back when I have an empty mag pulled back - will go to the range and shoot one handed and see if it continues.

Last Edited:
Welcome, Wilson mags are generally very good (it's what I use for all my carry 1911's) but different guns like different mags sometimes. My wife's Kimber will do this sometimes with some of her Wilson mags with the 9mm. Have not had issues with 45 mags.

Can also be an ammo issue as well. Not sure with SA but some 1911 like to be broken in with 500ish rounds to help smooth everything out (this is in the Kimber manual for their guns). Does the slide lock with the factory SA mags?

Welcome, Wilson mags are generally very good (it's what I use for all my carry 1911's) but different guns like different mags sometimes. My wife's Kimber will do this sometimes with some of her Wilson mags with the 9mm. Have not had issues with 45 mags.

Can also be an ammo issue as well. Not sure with SA but some 1911 like to be broken in with 500ish rounds to help smooth everything out (this is in the Kimber manual for their guns). Does the slide lock with the factory SA mags?

I bought the gun new from gunprime, but I feel the mags that came with it weren't the factory since 1 didn't feed properly, and the other was a a random 10 round magazine (I emailed gunprime about this and still haven't heard a word) which is why I bought the wilsons - but even with a friends semi used mec-gar mags I picked up from him, it didn't lock back once.

But I didn't even know about it needing to "break-in" - should I not lube it up and run it dry then? And I will go ahead and try different ammo, and see what happens

i would keep it lightly lubed and try different ammo. also, see if you can get ahold of a factory mag after lettin someone else shoot it. heck it might even be worth givin springfield a call/email.

When I get a new 1911 I clean it an lube it and clean after every 100 rounds to get any sludge built up from the friction out for about the first 500 rounds. With some guns this gunk can be substantial (steel slide, alloy frame for example). So are you convinced the gun was new since the mags seemed to have been swapped (all paperwork, gun lock, etc.)?

i would keep it lightly lubed and try different ammo. also, see if you can get ahold of a factory mag after lettin someone else shoot it. heck it might even be worth givin springfield a call/email.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and see if I can get my hands on some different ammo (im running low and it's super hard to find these days) - yeah I'll go ahead and email springfield and see what they say.

A forward hold can ride the slide stop With your support hand if you index on the trigger guard.

What does your shooting grip look like? Try firing one handed see if the issue continues.

When I get a new 1911 I clean it an lube it and clean after every 100 rounds to get any sludge built up from the friction out for about the first 500 rounds. With some guns this gunk can be substantial (steel slide, alloy frame for example). So are you convinced the gun was new since the mags seemed to have been swapped (all paperwork, gun lock, etc.)?

Yeah after having the issue I came home and cleaned it all up, and other than the mags, all other paperwork was there - though the envelope where the manual was was open, but the I think gun itself didn't have any signs of use (but again now that I think back, this is my first firearm so I might actually not know if I missed something) but all the other parts were there.

If you take the cleared gun, let the slide go forward, insert an EMPTY magazine, and pull the slide to the rearmost point and let go, does the slide stay locked to the rear?

Yes I did this exact process and the gun locks back every time - does this mean it's a user error when I went to go shooting?

Yes, it suggests user error.

1911's should be "run wet", especially when in breakin.
Do a field strip and clean it. Then lube her up.
Often the shooter does not realize that their thumb is rubbing the slide, as well as touching the slide lock.

I would suggest that you practice picking it up and pay attention to where your hands land Create some muscle memory.

A forward hold can ride the slide stop With your support hand if you index on the trigger guard.

What does your shooting grip look like? Try firing one handed see if the issue continues.

I just self-analyzed the way I hold it and just realized I place my thumbs on the safety and the slide lock! This might be the issue since it locks back when I have an empty mag pulled back - hopefully this is the problem

1911's should be "run wet", especially when in breakin.
Do a field strip and clean it. Then lube her up.
Often the shooter does not realize that their thumb is rubbing the slide, as well as touching the slide lock.

I would suggest that you practice picking it up and pay attention to where your hands land Create some muscle memory.

Got it - and I realized my thumbs ride the safety and the slide stop - will go to the range and try one handed and see if it locks back - thanks!!

I just self-analyzed the way I hold it and just realized I place my thumbs on the safety and the slide lock! This might be the issue since it locks back when I have an empty mag pulled back - hopefully this is the problem
That would absolutely prevent the gun from locking open.
If it locks open empty it should also lock after the last round, never had a gun that wouldn't do both.
Recommend a change in the way you hold the pistol with both hands, I've never had a handgun fail to cycle or lock open after the last round from hand placement.

Last Edited:
That would absolutely prevent the gun from locking open.
If it locks open empty it should also lock after the last round, never had a gun that wouldn't do both.
Recommend a change in the way you hold the pistol with both hands, I've never had a handgun fail to cycle from hand placement.

Definitely will change my hand grip and see if that fixes everything, thanks everyone!!

Wilson mags do have a good reputation, but while you are breaking in any new gun only use factory mags and ammo or their warranty wont cover any repairs.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews