JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for a second 1911 and I am looking att he Colt gold cup and the Springfield TRP. the TRP is a bit more then the Colt but close. anyone have opinions on the matter of which is the better pistol?

the TRP is only a few hundred more... and is a much better gun IMHO...

but you can't go wrong with either.... buy whatever makes you feel better... doesn't have to make sense...

Out of the box, if you're comparing the current GCNM to, specifically, the adjustable sight model TRP (PC9105LP), the TRP has some features that the GC does not have. Beavertail grip safety with raised pad, forward cocking serrations (I can take them or leave them), accessory rail, ambi safety, FLGR (another take it or leave it item), magwell, bushingless bull barrel (not a big fan) and nicer grips.
Some of these things may be valuable to you... or not.

Using my examples as reference, the Colt has a slightly nicer trigger... less creep, and a bit more accurate, but that can easily change from one sample to another.

If you're talking about one of the fixed sight TRP models, those have different features and would compare differently.

Personally... I'm a Colt guy, but the TRP is a very nice gun for the money, and feature for feature, when you add up the cost of the more useful extras, is a better buy than the Colt.

If you buy the Colt, then you do it because you're a Colt guy too... and the idea of owning a Gold Cup NM has a unique appeal, even though the name is more a marketing advantage than an example of a hand fit and finished target firearm.

The next Colt on my buy list is a Colt Government Lightweight (O1880XSE)... 29 ounces and a full package of features.

Can't get much more objective than that. :s0114:

C

I was leaning tward the TRP but I always wanted a Colt. I Held both at the gun show and I know its hard to compare a used gun to a new one, all the Colts had a loose slide with quite a bit of play in them. Is that common?

I own both currently along with other 1911's and each are fine weapons. To say the SA is head and shoulders above the Colt is a lie.

I own two Gold Cups and the one I use will out shoot my TRP on paper. The Gold Cup isn't necessarily geared toward carry like the TRP is but that doesn't mean you can't carry a GC. Comparing the slide to frame fit on each is a horse a piece, tight is tight in my opinion and both are tight fitting. The newer GC's come with Beavertail safety's if that's a big deal to you. Something about the Colt logo makes me smile so I guess I'd have to choose my GC's over the Springfield's overall. The one thing that bugs me about SA is that their frames are made down in Brazil I know some of the TRP's are 100% American made but some have South American frames to my knowledge. Colts are like a sweet American Muscle car, good old fashioned American goodness. :s0155:

I would ask what will it be used for and what is your budget. Both the guns that you list are very nice pistols, I tend to lean in the direction of Colt but would pick another rather than the GC. However, that is based on the fact I carry all of my 1911's

There are a ton of options out there in the 1500-2000 price range of the high end 1911 market. There is a very nice Ed Brown for sale on the board in Or. right now that I would take a look at as it is a grade above both the guns you have mentioned. But some looking around will get a buch of choices, check out the 1911 forum as a good start point. If you take the price point to the mid-range, say 900-1400, then you are in another group of very nice pistols. If I had that price point to spend on this gun here is my short list. Remember I carry mine so that influences my choices. The Smiths are listed first because that will probably be my next 1911 as I want a LW gun to add to the collection and the supper alluminium they use is cool stuff.

S&W with alloy frame and maybe a rail (just because I don't have one with a rail)
S&W with bobed alloy frame
Dan Wesson
Colt GS
Sig
Les Baer, used
Wilson, used
Night Hawk, used

It will be for target shooting. I was leaning to the TRP mainly because I have a Loaded now and I love it. I looked at the higher end guns like the Les baer but I didn't really want to pay 3k for it.

Bye the way, what Colts are better then the gold cups? I would like to take a look at them. I also saw the Ed Brown but its a bit pricy for me. I was hoping to stay under 1500$

Bye the way, what Colts are better then the gold cups? I would like to take a look at them. I also saw the Ed Brown but its a bit pricy for me. I was hoping to stay under 1500$

Although I've never seen one in person from what I hear the Colt Special Combat Government is the top of the line. These are a product of the Colt custom shop.

I too own both a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and a Springfield TRP. I bought them both new. The my TRP will out shoot my GC buy a wide margin. I plan on sending the GC back to Colt sometime this winter so they can take a look see. Something has certainly got to be out of whack. That's not to say that all GC's are like mine. It's not horrible but I expected better.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

B

I own this one here also and after some new grips and an Ambi safety added its really nice. Series 70 LW Commander. You can pickup a NIB GC and send it to Novak or colt for new sights and still be well under $1500.

<broken link removed>

I shot bullseye back in the 1970's with a Colt Gold Cup National Match and can attest to its accuracy. The slide can appear loose but if it locks up when ready to fire with the barrel bushing doing its job that's what makes the gun accurate. The old series 70 Gold Cups were a joy to own and shoot.

I now have several Kimbers and one is a SS Gold Match, its a heck of a shooter also and I am very fond of the Kimber line for competition and for carry.

Springfield has come a long way with their pistols. I had one back around 1993 with the made in Brazil frame that went back to the factory twice and still was not right. Dumped it for a song and it turned me off to Springfield 1911's. But I know their 1911 line is now well made and vastly improved.

Lots of great choices out their for 1911's these days. Good luck with your search and purchase.

While I was looking at the Colts, was reading that the newer Colts had the firing pin safety and the consensus was that it was something that wasn't needed and it was just something else that could fail. Are they that big of a deal?

I own series 70 firing systems and series 80 and to be honest a good trigger is a good trigger IMO.

The Series 80 trigger in my newer Gold cup is a nice trigger, I've compared it to my LW commander series 70 and the GC is better hands down so a lot of the stuff you hear is straight up BS on series 70 vs 80. Colt still makes series 70 pistols for people who prefer the older trigger systems if that's a concern for you.

When it comes to firearms people straight up over think things and I'm guilty also. Sometimes you just need to step back and realize when you spend good money with any of the reputable name brands your usually going to receive a solid product in return. Of course any company can produce the occasional lemon but as a whole if you stick to the good 1911 names, Colt, S&W, SA, Sig, Ruger, Wilson, Baer, Brown, you usually won't be disappointed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top