JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have the first week of July off and I would like to do some clearing and leveling on my land - the ~4 acres around the house that has been thinned and has a lot of ruts and holes.

I would like to find a Cat K4/K5 because it has joysticks (I suck at driving a dozer with a blade).

Peterson Cat in PDX doesn't really show what they have on their site - just HP ratings.

Pape' only shows JD (not that I don't like JD - I used to make a living working on JD equipment), but for this I would prefer a Cat.

I don't want some old dozer (one site listed a dozer that was 20 years old). The last one we had up here was an older TD 6 - it did not work all that well, tracks popping and engine overheating.

I want one with a blade (preferably not a bucket) and preferably rippers on the back.

Some of the equipment rental sites don't have dozers, only mini excavators and lighter equipment. I need something about the 80 to 100 HP range to push dirt around.

TIA

Sounds like you want a 7 foot, six-way blade and you may need a root rake if you have saplings and brush to clear ?
I'd just call around....I think there is a Cat Rental store in Portland.

Back in the day we had a TD-7 set up that way.
The root rake would flip up and out of the way if you just wanted to use the blade.
It was a good machine.

Not sure if this one flips up or has to be un-pinned.
It's heavier than the one we had.

Last Edited:
One of our d9's may be overkill.. Try excavating equipment rentals on boones ferry in Wilsonville. No idea if they have dozers though. I know Reid rental in Newberg doesn't..

One of our d9's may be overkill.. Try excavating equipment rentals on boones ferry in Wilsonville. No idea if they have dozers though. I know Reid rental in Newberg doesn't..

Yeah - a D9 would make more ruts/etc. than I already have, and it is just too big to fit between some of the trees or other tight spots. A D4 is just about right.

I pinged Peterson for a quote and I'll see what they've got.

Excavating Rentals has JD dozers. If Peterson's quote is too high I may check them out. Probably closer than north PDX.

Yeah - a D9 would make more ruts/etc. than I already have, and it is just too big to fit between some of the trees or other tight spots. A D4 is just about right.

I pinged Peterson for a quote and I'll see what they've got.

Excavating Rentals has JD dozers. If Peterson's quote is too high I may check them out. Probably closer than north PDX.
Yeah, you don't want to go down Columbia Blvd.. Ever.

Sorry, I was mainly being sarcastic. Traffic over there just sucks. I have to go to pape/peterson frequently to get parts and it's never fun.

Try Power Rents in Witch Hazel. They have a D 6 size I know, may have something smaller. They have great newer equipment. Reasonable rates, I have rented excavators, articulated lifts, stump grinders, tractors from them. They will deliver in your hood.

I got one from Power Rents, but now I have to figure out how to get it to my property.

I can run it down the road because it is paved. It will come on a 40' low boy pulled by a semi, and the first part of the road is a bit twisty - I doubt it can back down it, and maybe not even drive down it. :oops:

May have to cancel.:mad:

I should have planned better.:oops:

Your driveway paved ? I have got away with running them across the road or short distances a few times. That machine you got is a good size machine, I had it out last fall and probably again this fall. Makes pretty short work of things.

The problem is that the private road, about half mile long, I live on is paved and twisty at the top, so it would be difficult for the semi/trailer to back down. It would be difficult for the semi/trailer to turn around if it drove straight down the road. If it could get to my property or near it, we could unload it. I live about half way down that road.

But the most likely unloading spot will be the public gravel road at the top of my private road. I can get around my driveway once the dozer is to my property so that is not an issue.

The problem is that the private road, about half mile long, I live on is paved and twisty at the top, so it would be difficult for the semi/trailer to back down. It would be difficult for the semi/trailer to turn around if it drove straight down the road. If it could get to my property or near it, we could unload it. I live about half way down that road.

But the most likely unloading spot will be the public gravel road at the top of my private road. I can get around my driveway once the dozer is to my property so that is not an issue.
See if they will drive out and scout it.....that's the best way.
If they don't want to do that, send them your street address and they can look at your road from Google Earth.
Some of those drivers that deliver to construction sites are pretty good at maneuvering in tight quarters.

See if they will drive out and scout it.....that's the best way.
If they don't want to do that, send them your street address and they can look at your road from Google Earth.
Some of those drivers that deliver to construction sites are pretty good at maneuvering in tight quarters.

In about 30 minutes I am going to go talk to my neighbor and see if I can cross his land - if I can then the problem is most likely solved as I can get to his land via an access path on the backside of his land from the road. The problem is that he planted trees last year to replace the ones he cut so I don't want to run over those, and between dodging stumps and the new trees it might be difficult.

You can't see the difficult parts of the road from google earth - the trees block the view.

The driver already has the address. I just can't imagine him backing a 40' lowboy down the road. Maybe if the truck is a 4x4 or 6x6 he could turn around in a field, but I kind of doubt it. I know he probably can't turn around in my driveway or back into it with that trailer.

I think how the loggers did it was most of the time they turned around and then picked up the trailer with the grapple and dropped it behind the truck and it was a truck not a tractor.

The lowboys they used to haul in equipment, I think they backed them down - so maybe it is possible?

If I can cross my neighbors land then that would be easiest - he made a path from one side of the gully to the other and it isn't as steep there as it is on my land, plus I can't get that tractor through the trees on the other side of the gully they are too close together.

Asked neighbor and he will let me come across his property so I am good - baring any issues getting across the gully. We did it with several different excavators a couple years ago, once in the winter, once in the spring, so I should be able to do it there with a dozer.

PR called and they want to sub a 550for the 650, which is fine, I wanted a smaller one anyway, but yesterday they said they only had the 650.

Asked neighbor and he will let me come across his property so I am good - baring any issues getting across the gully. We did it with several different excavators a couple years ago, once in the winter, once in the spring, so I should be able to do it there with a dozer.

PR called and they want to sub a 550for the 650, which is fine, I wanted a smaller one anyway, but yesterday they said they only had the 650.
You have a good neighbor.
You've probably already thought of this, but maybe he needs a pass or two with the dozer somewhere on his property ?
Sounds like you are all set.

Yup, all the neighbors are good up here. This one especially - he and his son came over last summer and pressure washed the roof of my shop - spent the better part of a day doing it. He also did some work on my property with an excavator and dozer.

10314460_297987913729414_2561781510428790547_n.jpg
1014014_297987927062746_6598250404696691718_n.jpg

So yeah, I offered to let him use the dozer - he said he would find something he could do with it. :D

I've got it for a week, so I am pretty sure I will get my stuff done and still have a few days he can use it.

Got it.

2iuool4.jpg

He surprised me; he knocked on my door and had already backed the truck down the drive. Easy peasy for a skilled driver apparently. Me, I would have put it in the ditch before I got 100 feet.

Unloaded it and I don't have to drive it thru the gully now. So I am pleased.

21acvis.jpg

Nice size machine.
I'll bet that rake will come in handy.

They were going to deliver a 650 but the rake would not fit on it. I need to fit between trees so a 650 would have been a bit large. This is probably just the right size - I wanted a 450 or a 550.

I rented the rake too - $300/wk. I need it at first for the clearing and picking up limbs and stuff. Then once things are cleared I can take it off for the grading work I need to do. The last dozer we had up here had one of those clamshell buckets on it and that did not work very well - it got in the way and stuff got jammed up in it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top