JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I went out and worked with it for an hour or two. Easier and a bit more powerful than that Dresser, but not as nice as a J model though. This only has a joystick for the blade, not for the brakes - it has foot pedals for the brakes, which is better than levers, but still not near as good as a joy stick. Backing up is still a bit of a chore to remember which pedal to use.

It is going to take me a while to learn how to level the blade so I can get the ground level, but I am improving it. I even uprooted a few stumps (mostly rotten ones) and I am very glad I got a rake; lot's of crap on and in the ground and that rake churns it up. Once I get the vegetation taken care of then I can see where everything is and do a better job of it.

It just occurred to me this morning that one of the areas I am cleaning up would make an okay pistol range - longer than what I have now in my backyard and in a safer direction - the ground slopes down into the gully in the only direction where there are no houses visible and the stumps/etc. that I am pushing to the end of it make an ok backstop.

I've got a couple acres somewhat cleared. Today I am working on the ground below my house, then I will work on some of the ground along the road, then maybe tomorrow I will take the rake off and do some leveling.

I did get almost ten stumps out of the ground - if the stump is a little bit rotten then I can get the rake underneath it and push while I bring the blade up and the stump comes out. The stumps that are not rotten or rotten enough are just too stubborn to get out, but I am pleasantly surprised that I got the ones I did - first one was by mistake - I didn't know what had stopped my progress until I brought the blade up and the stump came with it.

Tipped over a good sized tree.

Approached it trying to get some brush around it cleared and hooked a root, noticed it move, so since I didn't like the tree and it was a PIA and in the way, I went ahead and dug down on purpose and tipped it right over, then moved it out of the way. Very pleased with myself now. :p

Playing with earthmoving equipment makes you feel like a kid all over again. :)

A little. I didn't have many Tonka toys. I do remember one kid I played with in the orchard next to his house - he had some and we would make roads/etc. in the worked dirt.

I grew up operating tractors on the farm, including a crawler my dad bought for some reason - maybe because his farm has some wet spots, maybe because it was the only tractor he had that could pull his combine. It wasn't a dozer though.

I do very much like equipment that lets me get work done quickly, and a dozer is very much one of those. I am glad I rented it for the whole week, it is taking me a while to get everything done I want done. I only put in 3-4 hours today - a bit tired and sore after yesterday and today I was working in an area where there isn't as much shade.

Every time I rented heavy equipment it was fun for the first 45 minutes, then it turns into work, especially if you have to get everything finish in one day.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top