JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need a new flashlight for a class I'm taking at Front Sight later this month. I have big banana hands, so I'm thinking the thing should be at least six inches long. Must have click on/off on the end. Not concerned with gajillon lumens. Just something good quality and functional. Thanks!

Lumens are your friend in many ways. I'd go at least 500 lumens. The two I'd trust are Surefire and Fenix. I've tried many other lights over my 27 year lawman stint, and many have failed...the two mentioned have not, in some very rough use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QPZTQK/

614Uwkzr1iL._SL1000_.jpg

Lumens are your friend in many ways. I'd go at least 500 lumens. The two I'd trust are Surefire and Fenix. I've tried many other lights over my 27 year lawman stint, and many have failed...the two mentioned have not, in some very rough use.

+1 for Surefire and Fenix. Streamlight works well too. I just picked up the Fenix UC-35 V2. Excellent light, from 1-1000 lumens and rechargeable!

Need a new flashlight for a class I'm taking at Front Sight later this month. I have big banana hands, so I'm thinking the thing should be at least six inches long. Must have click on/off on the end. Not concerned with gajillon lumens. Just something good quality and functional. Thanks!

I have several different lights that would work well for your needs. If you want to check them out before you buy one let me know. I'm a "flashlight nerd".

While not really tactical costco has some duracell lights that output 500 lumens, click on an off and have multi settings. About 5 or 6 inches. Takes 4 triple A batteries and only costs $15 for pack of 3. Little thick but they work nice. Feel about the same material as a Pmag so they feel durable and can withstand a drop or some rain.

Or look at fenix or surefires etc and get ready for the $50+ range
3 NEW Duracell Durabeam Ultra 500 Lumens LED Zoom Flashlights Batteries Included 4897026911818 | eBay

Last Edited:
I EDC a surefire P2X fury, it's an older model. Just simple on or off, tail click button. Blindingly bright ?600+ lumens, uses 2 CR123 batteries. Looks like it's discontinued. Easiest flashlight for me to EDC though.

Depends upon how you will carry yours. I mostly wear 5.11 pants with the 2 little extra pistol magazine pockets just above the regular slash hand pockets. Flashlight in one, extra magazine (2 on occasion) in the other.

Has not worn thru on any pants years of EDC. Be wary if the flashlight you purchase has teeth or aggressive nubs on it. May wear thru clothing quickly, so you may be forced to belt carry in short order.

The Costco type Duracell / multi AA and or AAA are ok flashlights, but not for EDC (IMO). Too short & wide. Makes for difficult access, how *I* carry, critical is the width vs *my* hand size makes a mag swap markedly challenging while holding them. No problem mag swapping holding surefire.

I use a G2Z Combat Light from Surefire. It has one of those rubber koch rings that make it easy to pinch between the fingers on your support hand. It also has a lanyard in case you wanna dona reload and not accidently lose your light.

I still use my old Z2 that I converted to LED, I do like the way the combat lights are setup. @Cerberus Group turned me on to one of his tricks using a key ring instead of the lanyard, very slick much better that the lanyard IMO.

I'm another Fenix fanboy.

Graveyard shift, prison setting, light becomes important. I wouldn't be caught dead without my Fenix PD35. Lightweight because a loaded duty belt doesn't need any excess. It sports 1,000 lumens which is pretty amazing for such a compact lightweight unit. What I really like is that it has a strobe that could throw many people into convulsions. I love it!

Fenix PD35 V2.0 LED Flashlight, Upgraded Performance, 1000 Lumens

I still use my old Z2 that I converted to LED, I do like the way the combat lights are setup. @Cerberus Group turned me on to one of his tricks using a key ring instead of the lanyard, very slick much better that the lanyard IMO.

Here's what I use. Have been using this system for about 14 or so years. I use the supplied ring attachment, but use an oversized key ring.

light1.jpg

Attach to the finger as shown;

light2.jpg
This allows the light to be used in several positions;

Close the hand;

light3.jpg

Rogers technique;

light4.jpg

On the gun, either along side, or in front as shown. Just pull back against the firing hand fingers, and the light gets activated; it may look awkward, but its not...very comfortable for long period use.

light5.jpg

Then if you have to go hands on with someone, or actuate anything on your firearm, flip to the rear of your hand, and speed load, malfunction clear etc. It won't get tangled up on your finger, or fly off...very secure, yet with the open hand, if someone or thing gets a hold of it, it'll come right off without ripping your finger.

light6.jpg

Lumens are indeed your friend. Also is this simply for a class or will you be carrying it or will it see nightstand duty with your gun?

My point is, if this is going to be a light that you will eventually bet your life on, then you probably want to make sure you get a good one.

To that end, Surefire is arguably top of the line. Streamlight makes a quality product too for a bit less. And if you're looking for something cheaper but still decent quality, Fenix is probably one of the best of the Chinese brands. And they have a lot of options.

Also as an aside, I will no longer buy a light if it can't run on both primary cells and rechargeables. It's super nice to have options. If it's a daily carry light, it's great to be able to use rechargeables. You just get a few sets and cycle through as needed. This way you can always be sure your light is topped up when you leave your house.

But similarly, if this is going to be a light that gets used occasionally...but needs to work when you need it...Like a light for the car or something...then it's super nice to be able to use primary cells that usually have a much longer shelf life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top