JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

I don't see a downside of owning at least a basic vest. I've seen the slim ones that can hide under a tshirt and be inconspicuous. But then... I would be thinking about a nice tan plate carrier with pouches etc. But then... I would feel like I needed a ballistic helmet... but then... I would want a night vision rig on it...

I think I've just talked myself into it.

Any suggestions on a very simple plate carrier or very simple best that hides under street clothes?

27.jpg

It's your personal choice. Be sure to know what, if any ballistic protection your plate carrier provides. Plates can be heavy and/or bulky but that and a lot of folks say "Forget it" after they spend an hour or more wearing that rig. IMO, it beats a bullet punching through your heart.

The really cool light weight rifle proof materials are very expensive but if you can swing it, that would be the way to go.

"Need" is hard to pin down. Any reason you suspect you will be getting shot at with rifle fire? If you feel there is even a slim chance then sure buy one. Now if you decide you do want to buy this then its which one. To me a really nice one to look at is Safelife. They make one that is almost like soft body armor. You can wear it under a shirt. It will stop many rife rounds.

Practically speaking, armor and a helmet will sit around your house looking "cool." for 99.99% of its existence apart from the times you put it on to train in it, either shooting or physical exercise (which you should do both.)

That being said, a lot of Ukrainians probably wished they had those and when you are someone who needs armor and a helmet you probably need it "right now" and buying it at that time likely won't be possible. So thinking about situation that are unlikely, but possible, yeah, armor and a helmet isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't put myself into financial hardship over it though.

The best reason to have a helmet though is to mount night vision on and do stuff with night vision. I see a pvs-14 and a laser designator and a passive aiming capable red dot being the natural progression from there.

Then you will want a red dot on a pistol because that will enable you to effectively shoot your pistol under night vision as well.

Then you might want thermal because you will find that night vision is better for moving around (generally speaking) but thermal is better for target locating and general scanning of areas.

This rabbit hole will cost you about $5-8K by the way, depending on what you already own.

If you want that set up and can afford it, don't worry about what people think. I bought the old style AR500 plates. Had it several years and so far the threat hasn't revealed itself that I need to wear it. That $2-300 is long spent and I don't think about it.

Even if you spend a large amount today. Next year it's not going to be a worry, but you will have the kit you may need.

Personally I find 'em hot , heavy and uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.
This is coming from my experiences when I had to wear 'em , while in the Army.

However.....
We ain't really talkin' bout me here....
So...

I would suggest that you seriously think over this idea and see if it is a "want" or a "need".
As in do you truly expect to have a use for said items.
I say this 'cause they are expensive and uncomfortable to wear...so you don't want your purchase to be worn a few times and then just chucked in the closet.

If a use is expected...
Then I would research what is out there..and buy when you can.
As noted these items can be spendy...if you actually need them...then you need them now....
And...like many firearm related items , they may ( will ) end up on someone's "You can't own this" list.
Andy

If you want to check out different plate carriers without spending money, find someone you know that is into airsoft. There are plenty of games going on here in the PNW.

Some may not have their plates in, some might. They can give first hand knowledge of wearing one while in motion. There are some veterans that play.

I don't have plates, but I have a perroz designs minimalist carrier I would trade for a a few AR mags or ruger bx25 mags..

SOLD.

Last Edited:
Some people incorporate armor into their home defense plan.

If we are talking "what if" scenarios, in the statistically unlikely, but possible event that you must use a weapon to defend yourself in your home, having armor to put on could be advantageous.

Some people say, "you won't have time to put it on during the home invasion." And to that I think, "maybe."

It takes a whopping 10 seconds to slip the carrier over my head and having an 11x14 plate on chest that will stop all pistol and rifle threats (practically speaking) could be nice if there is gunfire being exchanged. If time is that critical because all other "slowing them down" counter measures have failed, then sure, don't spend the 10 seconds to put it on.

Armor can also be practical for civil unrest. In the event you are in your vehicle during "mostly peaceful" protests trying to get from A to B, not catching a stray bullet to the torso could be nice.

When the wife was downtown at work and her typical bus ride home was cancelled because city leadership shut down all bus routes going through downtown to reduce the potential violence on busses, she was kinda stuck in a bad situation with limited options to get home. Part of the equipment I had with me when I drove down to go get her was a plate carrier.

People pay all kinds of insurance for events that are extremely unlikely to happen, but would suck if they did, so they pay for the insurance. If you think about things like carrying a gun, or owning armor as just another type of insurance for events that are unlikely to happen, but would suck if they did, it makes the use/ownership of those things as far more reasonable.

The key/important consideration will be avoiding the "more" monster.

Armor can also be practical for civil unrest. In the event you are in your vehicle during "mostly peaceful" protests trying to get from A to B, not catching a stray bullet to the torso could be nice.

When the wife was downtown at work and her typical bus ride home was cancelled because city leadership shut down all bus routes going through downtown to reduce the potential violence on busses, she was kinda stuck in a bad situation with limited options to get home. Part of the equipment I had with me when I drove down to go get her was a plate carrier.

People pay all kinds of insurance for events that are extremely unlikely to happen, but would suck if they did, so they pay for the insurance. If you think about things like carrying a gun, or owning armor as just another type of insurance for events that are unlikely to happen, but would suck if they did, it makes the use/ownership of those things as far more reasonable.

This is why I purchased mine. It now sits in my closet. I wear it when I go to the woods to shoot on occasion. It's not my favorite piece of equipment but it is in the top 2 of most important in a SHTF situation.

Eh, maybe. But the cost and hassle is a real thing; if you are actually going to train with and use the equipment, then might make sense. If not, imho, it is a waste of time and resources better spent elsewhere. YMMV.

Some people incorporate armor into their home defense plan.

If we are talking "what if" scenarios, in the statistically unlikely, but possible event that you must use a weapon to defend yourself in your home, having armor to put on could be advantageous.

Some people say, "you won't have time to put it on during the home invasion." And to that I think, "maybe."

It takes a whopping 10 seconds to slip the carrier over my head and having an 11x14 plate on chest that will stop all pistol and rifle threats (practically speaking) could be nice if there is gunfire being exchanged. If time is that critical because all other "slowing them down" counter measures have failed, then sure, don't spend the 10 seconds to put it on.

I think about all of this but it's actually a very safe part of the city so I'm not paranoid.

The layout of my house has a very natural choke point with brick. Old school windows are about 5 ft off the ground and run horizontally. Minimal effort could install a steel security gate/door at the choke point in my house to lock at night. Bedrooms would pretty secure behind brick on all sides and steel door preventing invasion at the choke point

Something to consider here...

In order for something to feel 'right" or natural...this will take practice.
Are you willing to take on that practice now , to make the armor and or NVG a "natural" thing for you.
Which will involve time spent doing things you expect to have to do with this gear...not just shooting on the range or walking around the yard.

I say this ', cause when SHTF , that is not the time for you to get your practice in or find out that the gear ain't for you...
Or you forgot batteries , adjustments , or the like.....
Andy

Something to consider here...

In order for something to feel 'right" or natural...this will take practice.
Are you willing to take on that practice now , to make the armor and or NVG a "natural" thing for you.
Which will involve time spent doing things you expect to have to do with this gear...not just shooting on the range or walking around the yard.

I say this ', cause when SHTF , that is not the time for you to get your practice in or find out that the gear ain't for you...
Or you forgot batteries , adjustments , or the like.....
Andy
"Tactical household chores."

It's just like regular household chores, except in full kit, in the dark, using night vision.

Do you see things getting better or getting worse?

How many traffic barrels in your neighborhood?

Have you seen the events over the past couple years?

Have you seen the events over the past couple days?

Do you have an idiot neighbor who gets drunk and negligently discharges his firearms through the walls or ceiling?

Will the swamp try to push armor bans like gun bans?

If so, it's probably not paranoid to consider some basic protection.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top