JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you've got disposable cash it certainly isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't put it in the top ten of "prepper" purchases.

To me it's like an expensive fire extinguisher (but less necessary). You probably won't end up needing it, but when you do you'll be glad you bought it.

Body armor is on my list. I am a prepper and part of my preps involves self-defense guns/ammo for worst case scenarios. I figure that if I plan to need guns for self-defense (beyond current risks - i.e., a scenario where it is WROL) then I should also have body armor for those scenarios - although I hope that it will never get to that point.

I started cheap by getting some older style ballistic helmets for the kids. But plan to get myself a lighter weight helmet, NVG/thermal and lighter weight rifle rated vest armor. Not concerned about concealment; if I need armor, it won't be where I need to conceal it.

YMMV

Absolutely! You need a plate carrier..and a ballistic helmet...and a new pistola to go with your new gear! Buy yourself something pretty because YOU deserve it!

Tell your wife WE said it was ok.

We are nothing here if not enablers.

You're welcome! :)

True that, I caught myself after I bought my second plate carrier and plates. I was headed down that rabbit hole and was able to keep my hands on the rim and pull myself out. :s0037:
my plates are steel 3+ rated and weigh just shy of 8lbs per plate, 6 full mags and 3 for the pistol. I am to old and grumpy to lug that bubblegum up and down canyons! I am the rear guard right here by this rock kinda armor guy:s0029:I recommend concealable level 3 pistol vest first! then if you have the money and desire armor up if still legal!

back to the OP, That vest and rig Stomper has on would be something to look at, Hes set up light to shoot and scoot. If you know you're on defense a full turtle suit with side plates and a helmet would be awesome. carry 40 pounds around on your shoulders for a while then you will see the value to the smaller rigs!

This is why I purchased mine. It now sits in my closet. I wear it when I go to the woods to shoot on occasion. It's not my favorite piece of equipment but it is in the top 2 of most important in a SHTF situation.
Wear it around the house doing regular household things. It's passive exercise at that point. I do that with a helmet and armor occasionally. Got to keep the body used to having it on or the 1 random time you will actually have a need to wear it the hotspots, major discomfort, and fatigue will be a significant problem that would detract from the effectiveness of wearing them.

If you've got disposable cash it certainly isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't put it in the top ten of "prepper" purchases.

To me it's like an expensive fire extinguisher (but less necessary). You probably won't end up needing it, but when you do you'll be glad you bought it.
This! 👆
Now I do not own armor made to stop rifle rounds but, I do have soft, couple sets. One I use for work and its for work. I keep another here I can pull on if needed and one set for Wife. Couple of them are old, past the date but are just Kevlar, have never been shot or folded. So suspect they will work just fine if ever needed.
Bit ago I bought a new Generator to back up the one that was 15 year old. Wife rolled her eyes at that. One kid came over said something like "what if you never need it?". I told him if I never need it you can sell it when I die :D
Seriously though if I never have to use it the cost will not bother me in the least. I like knowing its there. I have never liked "roughing it". If power does die here for a day or more I want "comfort".

If you get a ballistic helmet get gun mufflers or some kind or communications head set to you don't go deaf. I suppose foam ear plugs might work but they take longer to put into your ears.

my plates are steel 3+ rated and weigh just shy of 8lbs per plate, 6 full mags and 3 for the pistol. I am to old and grumpy to lug that bubblegum up and down canyons! I am the rear guard right here by this rock kinda armor guy:s0029:I recommend concealable level 3 pistol vest first! then if you have the money and desire armor up if still legal!
I am the guy that will be left behind at the bottleneck pass to hold off the attackers while the rest of my family escapes.

I have a set of Poly plates that are Lvl III+SRT that are right at 4# each, multi-curve that are very comfortable for H D. My full kit has Hesco Lvl IV ceramic plates, Shelback carrier with 4 rifle and 4 pistol mags. Feels about like lugging around my duck decoys.

"Need" is hard to pin down. Any reason you suspect you will be getting shot at with rifle fire? If you feel there is even a slim chance then sure buy one. Now if you decide you do want to buy this then its which one. To me a really nice one to look at is Safelife. They make one that is almost like soft body armor. You can wear it under a shirt. It will stop many rife rounds.
I have two of these. They are lighter than plates, but still have some heft to them and would telegraph like a police officer's rig under clothing to the point I wouldn't bother with that - which is why I got the molle versions. I figured if I am going to use a carrier for magazines and other stuff, might as well have armor. They are considerably bulkier than IIIa and the "flexible" part is technically true, but ergonomically not nearly as much as I'd like.

If you can swing it, go for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads