JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over at M4C, "militarymorons" developed what looked like a useful questionnaire for questions like this, so I'm lifting that for requirements--I'm looking for a briefcase to house both the Gremlin (10.3", folding-buffer AR pistol) and my daily laptop load--right now, the Field Office is a large catalog case, but about half the usual electronic gear would not be going into this and I'm preparing a minor gear reorg to reduce the amount of crap that gets hauled along.

Trying to find a discreet-carry bag for an AR pistol, and hoping you guys have some ideas. I need around a 23" length inside, but it also needs to be like 8-10" deep and it needs to not look out of place in a room full of Bankers' Hours Wankers.

From MM's question list, answers bold:
General gear questions (answer all that apply):

1. I'm looking for a discreet-carry AR bag with plenty of room for a laptop too.
2. I'm a civvie/military/LE/etc.
3. The primary usage of this item is for Everyday Carry in business/urban environment.
4. I'd also like to use it for possible Range Bag with laptop gear (see below) removed.
5. I need it to fit/carry large laptop (see below) plus related gear and AR pistol.
6. I need it for this weapon 10.3" AR15 with folding grip and buffer, 2" blast deflector (est. folded OA dims around 23"x8"x5" without optic.
7. I prefer it to be made out of no preference.
8. My budget for this item is somewhat open, but would prefer below $150.
9. I'm looking for it in these colors no specific requirement but subdued, businesslike, doesn't attract attention around Seattle.
10. I care/don't care if it looks 'tactical'. Need it to *not* look tactical, rather to look 'business-like,' not out of place in a room full of stuffed-suit corporate execs.
11. I need/don't need it to be low profile/concealed etc. Word of the day is 'stealth'--something that says "no gun here, just a big but boring briefcase."
12. I have already looked at Eagle Industries Beta (too small), Eagle Industries Sigma (too big, too tactical), TZ Case EXC623 (big, like the hard side, but too attention-getting), 5.11 RED (too big, too eye-catching), 5.11 RUSH Lima and Side Trip (too small, though an enlarged Side Trip would do), LaRue Covert Mk.II (too shallow, too tactical) and they don't fit what I'm looking for.
13. If it's a sizing/fit question, N/A.
14. If it's a comfort question, N/A.
15. Any other relevant information about your personal preference, usage etc that will help others narrow down their answers to your question see explanation below.
Basically, I need something that looks like it's just a really big laptop bag, including room for a 2"-thick 17.3" laptop, a cooling pad the size of a second laptop, a power-brick the size of a large paperback book (a little bigger than a typical Tom Clancy novel not including cables), an array of half-a-dozen external drives, a USB hub the size of a hard pencil case and its power-cord. Looking for something that'll keep the AR concealed, but readily accessible if needed without dumping everything out. It also needs to be waterproof, for obvious reasons...

The concept for this is basically a briefcase with an AR-pistol in addition to The Usual Office Stuff that a plainclothes officer could carry for response to an Active Shooter incident without drawing the attention and Shoot Me First effect of a uniform with a fullsize patrol carbine.

Any ideas out there in TV Land?

Tennis bags also don't work for laptops, especially not 17+-inch monster portable CAD/graphics systems like mine, in a corporate environment surrounded by Bankers' Hours Wanker stuffed-suits--this also has to not look out-of-place if I'm meeting with a client in their executive office or boardroom.

I saw some really nice stuff out there, the only problem was it needed to be a few inches wider and an inch or two deeper. *stares pointedly at 5.11's Side Trip briefcase* I like that TZ Case hardside I mentioned, its only problem is that it would attract too much attention and I'd have to have some custom foam made for inside--and that I can't find anybody who stocks the thing. :( The 5.11 RED has the volume, and I could even add a first-aid kit and even a small fire extinguisher... the problem is its color basically screams "YO LOOK AT ME!" and so does its huge size... saw a couple 22" rolling cases that might work except I was looking for "horizontal briefcase" rather than "vertical pilot-case."

Your requirements rule out a briefcase best I can tell and even if you found one its just going to look like a short rifle case as 23 inches is just too long considering the average messenger bag is closer to 13-16" nearly doubling that length is going to make it pretty obvious. You also have to consider the width you want 2" laptop, ~1" cooling pad ~5" for folded You're already looking at nearly 8" wide. You're going to have a hard time carrying the items you want discretely as the items I have listed don't include the 6 hard drives extra batteries etc. You need to lay out all the items you're expecting to carry to help you get a realistic expectation of their dimensions. You also need to factor in weight you're probably talking about 20+lbs of gear that's going to be noticeable lugging around.

My first suggestion is rethink how much you want/expect to carry even removing the rifle you're already looking at a fairly large heavy bag with all the extras. So my first suggestion is rethink the long gun and perhaps just stick to a full size pistol in the bag if you can't carry a decent sized pistol on your person. If you want a long gun perhaps something like the Keltec sub2k would be a better option which would be less than half the width of your AR and would be a smaller footprint than your laptop. But realistically the simple answer is nothing that is going to carry everything you want is going to look or sound discrete in the environment you're in.

To put this in perspective the maximum dimensions for a carry on bag is 22x14x9 You basically want a bag that is roughly the size of a carry on bag to be discreet in an office environment and I just don't see that happening.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate on this one but I like I said try laying out everything you want. Heck if you have a standard carryon roll around load all your gear into that and just get a feel for what you're wanting to carry. I did include one bag that might hold everything and at least has a non threatening look but isn't going to be discreet due to its size you'll stand out. I'd be surprised if someone has a solution that meets your requirements but I'll be happy to see one if it is presented.

A bag that might meet your requirements:
Amazon.com : Eberlestock Secret Weapon Pack, Mil Green/Gray, 33 X 13 X 7 : Internal Frame Backpacks : Sports & Outdoors
I had one of these bags for a while and at 6'2" 220lbs this bag still looked like I was carrying a backpacking bag not exactly discrete but it will carry the 23" rifle and likely the rest of your gear but you're going to be carrying around a rather large backpack all the time.

Take a look at the various Photography Backpacks some of them would easily fit your length requirement and they hold quite a bit of gear. Lowe Pro makes some great bags like this.

Subaru sent me this bag. I believe if I had a 7.5 bbl upper everything would fit inside including (4) 30 round mags. The following shows my 16" M4 with MRO taken apart and fit inside. In this example all folded away the bbl sticks out 6"....so you do the math.

There is another internal sleeve and my Macbook Air fits in there with the rest. Not sure I'd want to bang this around because the high points on the AR receiver or bbl could damage the laptop...if dropped or something like that.

BTW...Remove the FH and add a thread protector and it would fit even better.

IMG_3715.JPG IMG_3716.JPG IMG_3717.JPG IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3720.JPG

Last Edited:
I'm a bit envious of folks whom can carry at work, and even moreso of folks whom can bring a long(er) gun.

Due to my work, it would require much of my day (night) not having full control of the bag a gun would go in (like 90% of the time). So not an option.

Pretty much my bag is just to haul my coffee, lunch, snacks, various reference material, an AR500 plate & some get-home stuff. Although kept in a secure area, its not under my direct control.

Nope, wouldn't do it, even if the policy were to change.

Take a look at the various Photography Backpacks some of them would easily fit your length requirement and they hold quite a bit of gear. Lowe Pro makes some great bags like this.

These are photos of my LowePro camera case. Sorry about the iPhone photos! Ironic that the case is loaded with top notch cameras! :D The case is fully adjustable in side or it can be stripped out to a single large compartment! It's basically the size of a small suitcase, it just barely fits carry on standards!

IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0989.JPG

Last Edited:
Unless you have an already established reputation for hauling a large bag to every meeting, anything you start bringing with you will get attention.

And if it is heavy when packed the first person that bumps into it will comment about their stubbed toe, and that will invite extra looks.

Any brand other than an instantly recognized maker of travel and/or sport bags will get extra looks as well. A name tag, and the remnant of a checked bag label, would help with passing it off as conventional light luggage.

You might be able to fit the AR pistol in the larger carry-on bags if it is secured at the diagonal.

This might work, if you bang the bag around a bit like it has seen some travel.
Samsonite Lift2 21" Spinner

I'm already professionally know for Rolling Heavy enough to need two bags (and have been schlepping things that border between large briefcase/small suitcase practically my entire adult life, so small bags for those who see me are "outside the norm") and a handtruck, though the top satchel is small parts and incidentals like first-aid kit, tools (and don't tell anybody but a few spare mags for the EDC 1911 Just In Case).

Rechecking the numbers, I highballed a bit more than I thought--the build is projected to be only about 20.5" with the grip unfolded (longer with it folded up under the tube), and I can trade a little length for a height increase if it goes in opened, at the additional cost of having to close the action and fight with the rear pin added to the Response Time. The goal was something that for someone with good training and reflexes, if caught in a Daeshbag Active Shooter incident, starting deployment from the "Al-" to have aimed Lead On The Way before the threat get to "-ar!"

Thanks, guys, every little bit has helped except the musical instrument cases.

This was inspired by a local LEO I used to shoot with back in college, so NOT a "wannabe hitman" although the operational needs are very similar--the office-side stuff is because I believe in being my own guinea pig testing concepts I participate in development of, and the kinda data I deal with really does work a lot better on the 17" screen. The cluster of hard drives I can downsize by moving to newer models with twice the capacity (albeit twice the thickness; I schlep six 2TB's and upgrading to three 5TB's would give me much more capacity in the same space along with killing the monster 7-slot USB hub). Guy had said something recently about wishing there were a way to keep an AR closer than his vehicle, and me being me I said "as long as it stays within Title I NFA, Challenge Accepted!" on developing a complete discreet-carry AR system. (What I do is develop a Technical Data Package and component list... after you've had me work that up and it's passed Range Testing, you're on your own figuring out where to get the parts and how to put them together, though I do provide notes on any "unconventional" or "MacGyverized" particular details.)

@Sgt Nambu May have to take a look at that--technically my normal "catalog case" right now is JUST outside carry-on limits; I haven't particularly cared because with a little sleight of hand nobody noticed the inch or two sticking out from under the seat and I don't fly any more anyway. I've been fixated on "horizontal orientation," but maybe something vertical like that might also potentially offer faster deployment too if stacked right.

@Sgt Nambu May have to take a look at that--technically my normal "catalog case" right now is JUST outside carry-on limits; I haven't particularly cared because with a little sleight of hand nobody noticed the inch or two sticking out from under the seat and I don't fly any more anyway. I've been fixated on "horizontal orientation," but maybe something vertical like that might also potentially offer faster deployment too if

Oh, it fits in the overhead not under the seat.:)

I use this: Big-5 Sporting Goods World Famous Sports Large Tactical Pack
This muther's big and obvious, and it was a noted change from my normal gear. Every client noted it, and I explained, "I found something that allows me to carry my gear more efficiently." On two separate occasions, clients asked, "how much gear do you carry?" and I have them heft it. (About 45#) If someone was to ask, "what, do you have a gun in that thing?" I'd answer, 'Yep, a 50-Cal, that's why it's sooo biiiigggg," holding my arms wide in exaggeration like it's the biggest fish ever caught.

I often carry 3 computers (17", 15" & 12" laptops), first aid kit, 3-5 spare hard drives, 3x flashlights, 2x small tool kits, various hand tools, Fluke 789 DVM & specialty communication gear. 95% of the time I'm doing DCS software, but on that infrequent occasion when the plant folk don't realize their instrument is misbehaving, I need to dig into that (hence all the tools).
One client dubbed me "the walking Swiss Army knife."

Rather than have all this crap stab me in the back, I organize it all into rectangular, plastic compartments.
You could do the same with your AR, but put it in an opaque compartment. On this pack, each of the side pockets could house five 30-round mags. If you _really_ don't want anyone messing with the black compartment, you put a lock on it and biohazard stickers. When asked, "that's my medication for a rare genetic condition, blah blah blah...." You may have to explain, genetic means not contagious...

Problem here is your folder. If you could get a QD buffer/brace, that would be the ticket. Then practice rapid assembly/disassembly.

[ETA] Sometimes you don't want to blend in. Like the fable of the Prince's play mate and the red wagons, when you use something so ubiquitous yet notable, people quickly stop paying attention or simply overlook it.

Sadly, my company strictly forbids carrying while at work, most sites I visit have clearly stated "no firearms" policies, and several plants I have gone to inspect my car/gear, due to homeland security requirements.

I was chatting with a guy while working on his equipment, talking calibers and carry, and he pulls out his XDM 45, clears it and hands it to me. :D We got along really well.

Last Edited:
Right now my hard drives and other small parts in the Full Load are in a Plano 3730 tackle-box (hard drives in the end, cables etc in the skinny compartments).

Found another candidate: Carhartt makes a 20" dome duffel that looks like it'd handle everything comfortably.
Elements 20
I'd have to build up my own interior for it, but what do you guys think about the outer shell as a "Nothing To See Here"?

Unfortunately, @whitney , in the urban environment Pelicans stand out like a dude who's just had his balls stomped on.

Think I've found three possibles, though I'm shaky on how they'd do for "discreet."
HLSD84_1.jpg
https://www.ebags.com/product/highl...ble-tactical-duffel/332229?productid=10510490

4131.jpg
Gear Bag (12" x 24") | shop.foxoutdoor.com"

This third one, while I like the functional layout I'm very unsure about--my "All Hat No Cattle pseudo-2A supporter" mother keeps pushing it at me even though to me it screams "Yo! Gun Here! Shoot DIS Guy First!" And from how hard she pushes one particular vendor you'd swear she was getting a kickback...
Inside_Loaded__13700.1454689902.1280.1280.jpg BLK__70209.1439397549.1280.1280.jpg
Operations Duffle Bag

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top