JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shot my first bow and arrow in decades the other day. With the arrow guide and front/rear sights, I was a lot more accurate than at Camp Collins in mid-1960's.

I think it was a Genesis 30 lb pull. Sweet. And now I'm thinking about getting something like it just for target practice.

So without buying a mega-rig for elk, etc., what might be a good economical beginner setup that won't be a useless toy? Thanks in advance.

- Brands, models?
- Reasonable stores?
- Pounds pull? (I'm 6'1" and 200 and it felt pretty light)
- Would that rig smoke a random urban coyote with the proper warhead?
- Junk to avoid?

Last Edited:
Try the Mission line of bows by Mathews! Real reasonable, draw wt adjustable from about 35# to 70#, lite and compact, never had a problem with mine!

LOL... I went to Camp Collins, too! You can find Bear Whitetail-II's on eBay for cheap all day long.

And you might've had the same thoughts I did at Camp Collins... "I wish I was more accurate with this thing - so many variables in every shot."

You're right, those Bear Whitetail II's are everywhere. Some are very inexpensive. I'll look around locally for one not showing a lot of wear, dings, cracks, etc. I can generally tell when gear has been treated properly - or abused.

So am I correct in thinking I can increase/decrease the pull weight of a bow by simply swapping out the string? And get a dozen decent arrows at any local sports store?

Lots of man stuff to do... buck some firewood, mow a knee deep lawn, buy a decent gas trimmer from Roy Boys, diagnose faulty boat trailer lights and price bows and arrows. Today will probably reveal a thing or two about my order of priorities. Whoo-Hoo!!!

My best experience was just going to the archery shop and trying them on for size. I like precision archery in sandy because they have the indoor techno-hunt. The owner let my wife and I practice with the Hoyt bows we had focused in on.

There is also a shop in milwaukie with a good rep as well.

"So am I correct in thinking I can increase/decrease the pull weight of a bow by simply swapping out the string? And get a dozen decent arrows at any local sports store?"

With the compound you adjust the bolts at the end of the limbs. A shop will help you setup the draw length, pull weight and help you select the correct arrows for your setup.

It's the difference between buying a Mt Bike at Costco/Dicks/Target or choosing to go to the Bike Gallery...there is a difference. :)

Thanks 308. I took a much closer look yesterday at the Genesis set at 30lb and a Matthews set at 50. I examined the adjusters and I learned about cams, sights, etc.

Good analogy about bicycles. I've ridden for decades. Some sellers set them up properly, and some throw them together randomly - not even safe to ride. (But that'll all fix itself when minimum wage is artificially forced up to $15/hour, right?)

Given the small amount of money and time I'm willing to invest in yet another hobby, I'll have to arm myself with as much knowledge as I can and hope I stumble into a decent used one. Actually, I'm going to a family party next weekend with 3-4 avid bow hunters who love to drink beer (and talk). I'm guessing they've all upgraded bows over the years and might have something for sale.

I went from 55lbs to 65lbs pretty quick once my muscles started complying with new orders :) The Hoyt I purchased was a trade in so, it wasn't as painful as buying new.

I think 45#s is the least most states lets you have.
You need to go to a bow shop and get measured.Or go on line and you can find out how to do this.
Most bows are going to give you good accuracy and enough let off to make it pleasurable to shoot.
Most brand are plenty good,just need to come up with a budget.My first compound was a new 3 year old cheapo and I was shooting pretty tight groups with it right away.Maybe luck on my side but the bow was perfect.
The $550 Diamond I shoot now,at 60#s,shoot perfect too. I don't but in the right hands it will.I have talked to guys that kill deer with most any brand,cheap or Mathews.You just have to go the the big box stores and see what fits you best.
50 pounds is fairly light,60 is for old guys with bad shoulders,and 70+ is for good shoulders and youngsters.
And don't go to Lansky,way,way too much product to confuse a guy. Any color and any everything else you would imagine for bow shooting there
Good luck

So, to my very limited understanding, I can get an adjustable bow set at 40-50# while I learn to use it. (Hell, 30# felt fine to me for punching holes in a target bag.) Then I can get it adjusted higher if I want to, right?

I might phone my bow hunter buddies before a big party this weekend - and see what just happens to show up there.

So, to my very limited understanding, I can get an adjustable bow set at 40-50# while I learn to use it. (Hell, 30# felt fine to me for punching holes in a target bag.) Then I can get it adjusted higher if I want to, right?

I might phone my bow hunter buddies before a big party this weekend - and see what just happens to show up there.
Yes. I believe with my Hoyt, (1) rotation of the limb bolts adds 2-1/2 lbs, so it is easy to step up incrementally as your strength grows.

FWIW...my grandson shoots a little Hoyt Trykon adjusted to 20lbs. He's pretty small for 11yrs @56lbs, but has no trouble pulling this back.

ZACKRABBIT.jpg

ZACKRABBIT.jpg

Last Edited:

Kinda maybe.No
Yo want a bow that was originally made for the 60# range.Now if that will shoot OK at 30#,then you can do what you are talking about. I'm not sure you will get a 60+ bow to shoot very well at 30#.
Diamond and Bear? make a yute bow that adjusts from 30 to 45.Then you can had that over to the kids later

It's the kid (GF's 18yo son) who's educating me.

He's been using a Genesis and a Mathews, and got a new Diamond with bells and whistles for graduation. I think the latter is built for 45# and up, which is what I should get. 30 was comfy because I'm a beginner, but the Diamond dialed in at 65 feels pretty good too.

Just like with firearms (or any equipment-centric hobby) it's all a learning process. And practice, practice, practice.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews