JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone is messing with my lawn lights and I need to catch whoever it is. It has happened twice now in the last 10 days. The last time, during a 20-minute window. I left to go running at about 10 PM and came back with broken lights and lights thrown into my yard. I don't know if that was coincidence or if someone knows my routine.

The obvious solution would be a nice surveillance camera system, but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars (thousands?) on a new system. With the exception of this problem, the neighborhood is very safe and I would even feel completely safe with my doors unlocked at night (would still have my pistol next to me :)). I've been looking out the windows frequently and even pulling up a chair next to one while I work on my laptop in hopes of catching this guy. Even thought about hiding in the bushes, but this isn't a nightly thing.

I was thinking even if I got a surveillance system, the picture wouldn't be too great (since it happens at night) and I'd still be left wondering who the guy is. Any other ideas?

What about one of those "game" cameras that people use to see if deer and other critters are around. I believe you can find one for around a $100.00. You put it on a branch or something and it takes pictures or video when movement is sensed. Or get a dog.

Chalk outline of a victim in a visible spot with a chalk outline of a lightbulb? Scatter a few .44 mag shells around...

Sorry - I couldn't resist the humor. Maybe a motion detecting flood light or sprinkler could be a deterrent? Better yet, a motion detector like the ones that have dogs barking, but instead the sound of a pump shotgun getting chambered?

Get that driveway alarm. The infrared beam will be.crossed and an alarm inside should go off. Then you have a window to run out and catch the punk in the act. I'd even buy a tempting lawn ornament that could be easily broken and setit just a little closer to the door.. Then you've really got them. The next best betwould be hunting cams, set 1-2 night no flash ones up and you can get a picture of him.

I second the game camera idea. And if you shop around, you can find a DVR security system for a few hundred bucks that has multiple cameras. Either way you go, make sure you are getting something with IR night vision capabilities. Especially if you go game camera. If they come into your yard and they see a flash, the camera wont be there when you get back.

Hmm...Never thought about a gaming camera. The problem is the lights just line the sidewalk so they're able to kick them or pull them out without having to step into my lawn. I don't have a lot of people walking by that time of the evening/night so maybe this will work. Are the pictures clear enough where I would be able to spot the guy next time he comes around?

I also was going to recommend a game camera, maybe something IR with an IR flash? If not make sure you put it high enough so it cannot be reached and taken. Second suggestion, is a small video camera in a window sill facing the target area. Turn it on when you leave jogging and then check it when you get back.

Your neighborhood may feel safe, just remember criminals have cars and dirt bags have caring and understanding grandparents.

Add SD card, plug in, point out window. Endless loop recording, leave it on 24/7, when S happens just go pull the SD card, that records in 10min groups; look at last file, done. HD/clear pictures. If a night you will have to stick an IR flood on the outside of the house, probably another $100.00.

Daytime it is full HD - what you see on the TV is a good as what you would see out the window yourself; or PC, anything with a USB or HDMI port.

1080p HDMI Full HD Car DVR w Night Vision Motion Defection Recorder Camera | eBay

Cabelas sells a bunch of different game cameras and would be perfect for your needs

This one sounds Ideal with a 60ft IR range

<broken link removed>

And once you have your critter it would be easy to resell and get back most of your investment.

A number of of years ago when my kids were little, I was concerned when we saw a racoon in our back yard during the day (had seen at night before, but kids would be in bed, so no concern, but during the day the kids might be out playing). So, I set out a cage trap to trap it so I could relocate it somewhere further out in the country. I used marshmallows as bait (per a friends suggestion) but every morning, the bait would be gone, but no racoon in cage. I suspected squirrels were taking them, but weren't heavy enough to close the door on the trap, so I already had a motion detector light on my deck, so I pointed my cheap little web cam out the window at the trap and found some free software online that would display video from
the camera and either start taking pictures (a few frames per seconds) or video (which took up a lot more disk space). So when the racoon came on our deck the next night, the motion detector light turned on, and now that the web cam had enough light to "see" it saw the motion and started recording. This was a nearly free solutions for me (already had the inexpensive light, web cam, and computer, then downloaded free software), and it worked great, so you might try something like this if you're trying to keep the cost low and already have some equipment like this. :)

As for our racoon? Well, I caught it on video that night... It came up on the deck, walked around the cage scoping it out, then reached through the side of the cage, grabbed the marshmallows and ate them, then left. He came back about 10 minutes later, circled the cage again, then left, never to be seen again during the day or night. He must have known I was on to him. ;-)

Use a Claymore mine disguised as one of your lights, I'm sure he won't be kicking with that foot anymore at the Minimum, But then again you'll have to clean up the mess so maybe not a good idea And that might be a little extreme. Hehehe

Use a Claymore mine disguised as one of your lights, I'm sure he won't be kicking with that foot anymore at the Minimum, But then again you'll have to clean up the mess so maybe not a good idea And that might be a little extreme. Hehehe

Possibly for any neighbors as well! With a kill radius of 100 meters and effective kill radius of 50 meters, that would be much destruction.

Though it would solve the problem.

Ditto on the hidden trail cams.

Motion activated sprinklers, my parents had these on their pond to keep herons away. I walked out and forgot about it, i damn near poo'd my pants. It's loud and fires a nice stream.

Also motion activated lights are a must.

All three would be better. And funny to watch later

Game cameras work very good for security and catching some one messing with your property, I helped my dad install one to watch his travel trailer cause some one was messing with it.

Unfortunately my lights line my sidewalk so I can't have sprinklers or mines blowing up anyone walking or running by my house. lol

I tried out a motion sensor camera in the past and returned it because my memory card would fill up everday. It was annoying to delete them because with that model you had to delete every pic or video one by one, no delete all button. I live 2 blocks from a school so I have a lot of people walking by or riding bikes, this means a lot of pictures. Less at night but still get a lot of runners since it's a pretty safe residential area.

I saw a motion sensor light with camera that moves a places a spotlight on whatever is moving. Do you guys think this is a little too much for a residential area? I'm thinking he backyard would be okay but it seems a bit much for people just walking by.

I saw a motion sensor light with camera that moves a places a spotlight on whatever is moving. Do you guys think this is a little too much for a residential area? I'm thinking he backyard would be okay but it seems a bit much for people just walking by.

Probably the first light they would break. Pretty cool, though...

Unfortunately my lights line my sidewalk so I can't have sprinklers or mines blowing up anyone walking or running by my house. lol

I tried out a motion sensor camera in the past and returned it because my memory card would fill up everday. It was annoying to delete them because with that model you had to delete every pic or video one by one, no delete all button. I live 2 blocks from a school so I have a lot of people walking by or riding bikes, this means a lot of pictures. Less at night but still get a lot of runners since it's a pretty safe residential area.

Go out for a run, but have your friend stay at your house waiting to spy on the perp with a camera (video), etc. Then have that friend say outloud into the microphone while capturing the perp, all the details they can remember.

How to get the friend inside? If you have a garage...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top