JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All!

I'm looking to get into precision rifles. This will be my first toe-dip into this specific pond as it were. I've shot shotguns, semi-auto rifles and pistols for years for fun, hunting and some competitions. I am a LEFTY, and while I am STILL on an epic quest to find the best lefty semi-auto rifle that doesn't piss gas in my face, I'm not sure it's a big concern with bolts guns. I've always used right handed shotguns for duck and never really had issues.

So my real question is this, for the guys that shoot precision rifle (competition, long range, practically, tactically, and hunting) are there scenarios that will cause me problems or will there be things I won't be able to do as effectively if I use a right handed gun? Basically meaning, if I run the bolt with my support hand.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you have,
Jon

^ Joe fell in love with Tikka (could be a LOT worse... they're excellent rifles.)

Also look at Savages (my favorite off the shelf rifles) and maybe Remington but I don't like them much.

Decide what actual sport you want to do. Long range bench rest? Precision rifle which has motion and different rests - Maybe a bipod. F-class? Something else?

They all sort of do best with slightly different rifles.

I'd hold out for a lefty rifle and I think you can get one for all the manufacturers I listed. You get a screaming deal then I'd do right handed. You certainly can do it. But in sports that evaluate on time having a right handed rifle might ba a disadvantage

Can you think of specific scenarios that would be slower or more difficult? All I can think of is that I would be moving my support hand to run the bolt and keeping my main hand on the grip/stock. If my support hand is being used for "support" it may cause me to have to shift my position, however if I'm on a bench or prone it seems like this might even be faster???

My ultimate goal for this first rifle is kind of a decent jack of all trades (yes yes master of none) that I can use for hunting, target shooting, and maybe PRS while not breaking the bank ($1-2k for rifle). Also... I'm leaning towards .308 as I like common calibres but 6.5 may be an option.

I do like all of the new chasis folders out; Ruger RPR, Bergera b14 bmp, or savage 10/110... however the standard Remmy 700 / savage / Bergera stocked rifles seem appealing too. I would like it to use magpul mags if possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top