JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PROBLEM SOLVED IN LESS THAN AN HOUR THANKS TO FORUM MEMBER @Ura-Ki (thanks!)

Need help in finding 9 lb to 12 lb recoil springs for 1911 Officer's model chambered in 9mm.

After almost 4 decades of revolver, DA/SA and striker pistol shooting, I finally decided to dip my toe into the 1911 world and got a cheapie, RIA 1911 Officer's model (3.5" bull barrel).

So, I am definitely a 1911 neophyte.

I want to change out the springs just so I can get a better working knowledge of the pistol.

BUT - I am having a heck of a time finding (online) 1911 recoil springs in Officer's model length in the 9lb to 12lb range (which, I understand, is the most appropriate weight for 9mm). Everything I find in that LENGTH is 15 lb or heavier - designed for 45 ACP. Everything in the 9 to 12 lb weight range is Commander or Government length.

Can anyone help me out with this? I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last Edited:
Don't know about the weight your seeking for 9 mm, but these guys could answer your questions and supply any and all needed parts!

They are really good to work with, and usually answer questions right away!

Don't know about the weight your seeking for 9 mm, but these guys could answer your questions and supply any and all needed parts!

Thanks Ura-Ki! I'll check them out.

might give wolff gun springs a call

Thanks for responding Unka-Boo.

I emailed Wolfe last night with a detailed description of what I was looking for and they got back to me this morning (quick turn-around time - I was impressed).

They said they did not carry what I was looking for. Unfortunately, they didn't offer any suggestions for where I might look next.

Taking a quick look I am not seeing what you want either which is odd. Sounds like it may be something that was not made for long since places like Wolf do not make one. Did you try contacting RIA? I took a look at their site and see nothing about these. If no one can find one you may have to resort to making one from another spring. Is it a pretty standard recoil spring? Can you take it out and post a pic of it? If it is a standard chances are you could buy one for another gun and cut it down to what you want. Very strange that nothing seems to come up searching for these. I would want to find an extra or 2 for just that reason. If the one you have needs replacing may be a chore to get one.

Thanks again for the referral to Fusion Firearms, Ura-Ki.

I checked out their web store. They didn't have the Officer length recoil spring. So I called them.

The receptionist actually transferred me to a guy who was obviously working in a machine shop - lots of classic machine-shop background noise - LOL.
He was great. Told me what I needed to do (his recommendation was to cut back a Commander length spring in the weight I'm looking for). Confirmed my research that 9 to 12 lb recoil springs were appropriate for a 9mm.

I purchased a "light caliber" recoil spring pack (various weights), main spring (at 21 lb) and firing pin spring - their prices are GREAT (and they deserved my business no matter what their prices were).

Again, much obliged for the referral.

I like Wolff springs because they cover many different models.
However, for 1911 springs I use Taylor Tactical.
His springs are all color-coded and his prices are unbeatable.
The only game in town for me.
He also has an Ebay storefront where you can get free shipping.

ETA
TT springs MAY be re-badged Wolff springs.
I don't think that Nic Taylor has spring making capability.

Taking a quick look I am not seeing what you want either which is odd. Sounds like it may be something that was not made for long since places like Wolf do not make one. Did you try contacting RIA? I took a look at their site and see nothing about these. If no one can find one you may have to resort to making one from another spring. Is it a pretty standard recoil spring? Can you take it out and post a pic of it? If it is a standard chances are you could buy one for another gun and cut it down to what you want. Very strange that nothing seems to come up searching for these. I would want to find an extra or 2 for just that reason. If the one you have needs replacing may be a chore to get one.

Hey Alexx1401,

Thanks for jumping on the thread.

Ura-Ki referred me to FusionFirearms.com

See my 2nd respond to him down in the thread.

I called Fusion. The guy I talked to told me to do exactly what you suggested - cut down a longer spring (i.e, the next size up - Commander length). He said that's what's typically done for Officer sized springs.

I was able to order from Fusion (got main and firing pin springs too.)

Will begin my foray into the 1911 world with basic spring replacements.

Cheers

Careful, the 1911's are extremely addictive, and tend to multiply like rabbits, soon, you will get to itch to build your own, and you will end up like me with 1911's everywhere! to date, I have built 11 of them ( 5 2011 series) and cant seem to stop! :cool:

Yes, I need help................................................

Help finding more builds to do! :s0140:

Does it even need a new spring?

Keep the OG like @Alexx1401 said so that you can count the rings and cut a new one to size

Keeping old spring to measure when cutting new spring - Roger that. Appreciate the suggestion - I'm definitely learning the 1911 ropes.

Not sure if it needs a new spring, it might - I don't know the round count since I bought it used. But the "process" is one of the main reasons I'm doing this and i have learned a lot already.

You 1911 guys have an incredible depth of knowledge about this platform. I am beginning to see the appeal (not just of the pistol, but of the "zen" of that pistol.)

Cheers.

Last Edited:
Keeping old spring to measure when cutting new spring - Roger that. Appreciate the suggestion - I'm definitely learning the 1911 ropes.

Not sure if it needs a new spring, it might - I don't know that round count since I bought it used. But the "process" is one of the main reasons I'm doing this and i have learned a lot already.

You 1911 guys have an incredible depth of knowledge about this platform. I am beginning to see the appeal (not just of the pistol, but of the "zen" of that pistol.)

Cheers.
I'm fairly new myself but just got done with @Cerberus Group 1911 Armorer class. Worth every penny and every minute, and then some.

I have a commander sized 9mm - it would cycle everything except light loads (like Hornady Critical Defense Lites). With those, stovepipes on demand. If I cared to actually use them, I might have looked into a lighter spring. But I mostly just shot them for grins and giggles when I was testing ammo.

I put about ~3-4k rounds through mine before changing the spring. I'm surprised that it was even functioning - the spring had visibly lost length (was more compressed) compared to new. But, hey, now I've got a worn out one to keep on hand for comparison. :D

Hey Alexx1401,

Thanks for jumping on the thread.

Ura-Ki referred me to FusionFirearms.com

See my 2nd respond to him down in the thread.

I called Fusion. The guy I talked to told me to do exactly what you suggested - cut down a longer spring (i.e, the next size up - Commander length). He said that's what's typically done for Officer sized springs.

I was able to order from Fusion (got main and firing pin springs too.)

Will begin my foray into the 1911 world with basic spring replacements.

Cheers
Fantastic, I had not seen that. When Wolf said no it made me worry you had a pistol that used some kind of proprietary set up since Wolf sells springs made to be cut to what you need. Sounds like it is just a standard set up so will be easy to make what you need which is great. I have to guess someone at Wolf did not understand that. In any case great you can get what you need easy.
As Ura-Ki mentioned 1911's are addicting to many of us. I have loved them all my life. Even though I know far better designs have come along I still love them. I often joke if they ever came up with a Phaser like Startrek I would still be carrying my 1911's :D

I grew up with the 1911s back when real men carried them, and the only other options were revolvers, so the 1911s were what I ran! There is just something about that big old hunk of finely crafter steel in your hands, and they just look so right, no one would ever question a 1911 as being capable of serious hurt! Sure there are others, but for me, it's gotta be the classic design! :D
Maybe I'm old school, but the 1911s never let me down, and I have fired more rounds through mine than most would fire in a life time, and I trust them, with my life!

As translated from the original ancient manuscripts

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain.

2 And shouldst thou muck with it and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm.

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights , which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and loose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle.

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and did proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol, and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil spirits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.

a Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers dids't not fall but did continue to cause great harm."

b or Hell

And the Lord did create Metric calibers to bring perfection to the Series 70 1911's for his Holy Armies to set upon his enemies from the underworld, and to smite ruin upon them! And on the 7th day, God rested, and with a cold one and feet up, laughed with St. John at his side, for all is well on earth! :D

And the Lord did create Metric calibers to bring perfection to the Series 70 1911's for his Holy Armies to set upon his enemies from the underworld, and to smite ruin upon them! And on the 7th day, God rested, and with a cold one and feet up, laughed with St. John at his side, for all is well on earth! :D

Ha!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top