JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Put a caliper on those bullets! They look suspiciously like pulled steel-jacketed (magnetic) Chinese milsurp silvertip 7.62X54R. If so, .310 is not good for a .308 bore. As to exploders, Velex/Velet back in the 70s made so-called handgun exploders which used some form of sealed percussion cap over a powder charge in the nose of Sierra Jacketed hollow cavity bullets. Due to their sudden disappearance, I suspect that Sierra might have convinced them to just "stop it!"

IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

A little more on the tortured name Raufoss (Norway), a city not far from the neighborhood of Alfred Nobel, the Swedish philanthropist who invented dynamite, Gelignite and ballistite. OK... anyway, Raufoss was named after a waterfall in the river Hunnselva. The first element is raud ("red"), and the last element is foss ("waterfall"). (The color red indicates traces of iron in the river bed.).

Well, to distill it all, there is a whole lot of shooting and blowing up history there. A company canned Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikker was founded there and went through a variety of changes in ownership and types of business, as well as connections with Swedish companies. Ultimately, it became known as Nammo (Nordic Ammunition company).

They produce a wide variety of very non-peaceful destructive devices and projectiles - as seen in the article on Nammo. Many of said devices and ammunition prohibited in war but still widely used. Take that, Geneva Goofballs and United Nitwits! So, saying something is 'Raufoss' is absolutely meaningless, since it almost certainly has nothing to do with Norway, Alfred Nobel, depleted uranium or anything even mildly philanthropic.

What's in a name? Remember the DumDum Arsenal in India where the dreaded and über-lethal Dum Dum bullets originated? Therefore, the projectiles in my .38 snubbie are "Dum Dums." The misuse - never mind misspelling - of Raufoss is an attempt to add some air of desirability (read: $$$) to a product which may not even accurately share the concept of the original.

To bad there was never a Caveat Emptor Arsenal.

Last Edited:
A little more on the tortured name Raufoss (Norway), a city not far from the neighborhood of Alfred Nobel, the Swedish philanthropist who invented dynamite, Gelignite and ballistite. OK... anyway, Raufoss was named after a waterfall in the river Hunnselva. The first element is raud ("red"), and the last element is foss ("waterfall"). (The color red indicates traces of iron in the river bed.).

Well, to distill it all, there is a whole lot of shooting and blowing up history there. A company canned Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikker was founded there and went through a variety of changes in ownership and types of business, as well as connections with Swedish companies. Ultimately, it became known as Nammo (Nordic Ammunition company).

They produce a wide variety of very non-peaceful destructive devices and projectiles - as seen in the article on Nammo. Many of said devices and ammunition prohibited in war but still widely used. Take that, Geneva Goofballs and United Nitwits! So, saying something is 'Raufoss' is absolutely meaningless, since it almost certainly has nothing to do with Norway, Alfred Nobel, depleted uranium or anything even mildly philanthropic.

What's in a name? Remember the DumDum Arsenal in India where the dreaded and über-lethal Dum Dum bullets originated? Therefore, the projectiles in my .38 snubbie are "Dum Dums." The misuse - never mind misspelling - of Raufoss is an attempt to add some air of desirability (read: $$$) to a product which may not even accurately share the concept of the original.

To bad there was never a Caveat Emptor Arsenal.

Wow thank you for that info. I absolutly know now that the .308s are Not genuine Raufoss rounds like the .50 bmg versions. But.... even if they were batch made by some company years ago that's out of business now... and they "work"... I guess I would call that a Win.

Those custom .223's blew my mind. I'm hoping the 308 will do the same. Just wierd that I'm the only person on here that has seen, or has some physically of these. Especially since I bought the whole lot Locally. Who knows who made them or where they came from..

I actually used to buy ammo that looked similar on E-bay, years ago--I found some dude who offered to pay me $5 per round and he got all of it

For the .308s I payed 2$ per round and the .223 I payed $20 per pack. Seems a little backwards!

Heres another impact shot of one of the 223s

Screenshot_20210410-063714_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20210410-063729_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20210410-063747_Video Player.jpg

Especially since I bought the whole lot Locally. Who knows who made them or where they came from..
And for this reason, extreme caution is advised. I bought some .308 surplus decades ago. Mixed US/Greek/NATO headstamps. Some had obviously been reloaded. A case head separated on one round and blew my HK91 up. Bowed the receiver sides out and blew the floorplate, spring, follower and remaining rounds into my right leg. I was OK. The gun not so much. The sellers, dad's co-workers, paid for the gun and I bought another. Not all are so lucky.

You will be safer if you use a bolt gun, but there are still no guarantees. And I would mesasure bullet diameter first.

And for this reason, extreme caution is advised. I bought some .308 surplus decades ago. Mixed US/Greek/NATO headstamps. Some had obviously been reloaded. A case head separated on one round and blew my HK91 up. Bowed the receiver sides out and blew the floorplate, spring, follower and remaining rounds into my right leg. I was OK. The gun not so much. The sellers, dad's co-workers, paid for the gun and I bought another. Not all are so lucky.

You will be safer if you use a bolt gun, but there are still no guarantees. And I would mesasure bullet diameter first.

You're the second person to say that, and I never even thought about measuring bullet diameter, so I will. I'm experienced with firearms but not so much with ammunition (and the fine details/reloading). Thank you for your advice po18guy!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top